Round of 32: Division I, J, K and L Championships

I want Ron Wood's pants!

Remarkably, all four of today’s Division Championships involve #1 seeds taking on #2 seeds, and only in Division K is the #2 seed a favorite.  That means folks have been largely sticking to their guns through the early rounds of the tournament.   Listen here and vote by commenting below before 8pm EST on Thursday.

Preview: Division I features the brassy stylings of Ray LaMontagne, who has posted strong numbers all tournament.   The Faces have been the sneakier finalist in this division, and while some dig the nostalgic tenor, Stewart and co. also got some really low scores last round.

Division J is the battle of Motown.  Guillermo has predicted that Lady G and the Pips have what it takes to go all the way.  The song’s biggest weakness, that it doesn’t pack a very rocking punch, will not be exposed against Smokey and his somewhat faint backup Miracles.

Landslide has turned into a real tour de force, racking up 10s and blistering averages. Meanwhile, Sister Golden Hair has performed well, but is certainly the weakest #1 seed in this lot, based purely on averages.

Division L is perhaps the most intriguing matchup, and a spirited way to end this set. Both songs rock pretty hard, and both vocalists bring pizzazz.

And now, your pastables:

Division I Championship

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) vs. #2 Ooh La La (The Faces)

Division K Championship

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) vs. #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)

Division L Championship

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) vs. #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR)

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Music, Music Tournament and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Round of 32: Division I, J, K and L Championships

You Are The Best Thing– 8.5
    Ooh La La– 8.8

Midnight Train–8.8
    You’ve Relly Got A Hold On Me–8

Sister Golden Hair–9
    Landslide–10
    Yes, the’re both overplayed… But such great songs

Dog Days Are Over–7
    Up Around The Bend–7.8

3. Division I Championship

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) 8
    #2 Ooh La La (The Faces) 8.3

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) 9
    #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) 8.8

Hahahaha, for some reason Midnight Night Train makes me think of Night Train Express, which I am happy to say I have not imbibed since the ripe age of 22. It is one of the worst things imaginable. See more on this article at what I can only describe as quite the compelling domain name: http://www.bumwine.com/nighttrain.html

Also, yes I do think Gladys Knight can go all the way. But if this was a tournament on the opening notes of a song, Smokey would get an 11- damn.

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) 8
    #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) 7.5

I can not wait to nominate Silver Springs for the next tournament. Did you guys know that Silver Springs was a very very last cut off of Rumours and only appeared as a B side to the single for “Go Your Own Way”? That’s how good Rumours is. And when the key changes on Silver Springs from the “baby I don’t wanna know” ‘s to “time cast a spell on you that you won’t forget me/I know I could have loved you but you would not let me”….I get straight goosebumps, Jesus.

Oh right, Landslide. This is ok, but I don’t know if it’s 10, 10, 10 ok. I prefer America, maybe just my mood.

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) 7.8

You Are The Best Thing– 7
    Ooh La La– 8

Midnight Train– 7
    You’ve Relly Got A Hold On Me– 5.5

Sister Golden Hair– 7.5
    Landslide– 6.5
    This tourney makes me hate some of my favorite songs.

Dog Days Are Over– 8.5
    Up Around The Bend– 8
    Here’s my thinking with this. I love both of these songs. Fogarty is my hero, but Up Around the Bend isn’t CCR’s best. It’s great, but not their top. That’s why Florence gets the slight edge, but I will be happy with either steamrolling their way past Landslide.

You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) vs. Ooh La La (The Faces) = 5 to 9.5
    “You’ll have to learn, just like me, and that’s the hardest way”

Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) vs. You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) = 5 to 8
    Yes GN&P were on Motown, but the Miracles are actually FROM Detroit, plus it’s a much better song anyway. Tough and cool and romantic at the same time, as all good Motown tunes are. MNTTG is a little too…unnecessarily emotional. I get it! He’s leaving! Just go!

Sister Golden Hair (America) vs. Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) = 4 to 5.5

Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) vs. Up Around the Bend (CCR) = 6.5 to 6

11. Maureen says:

Votes for me / Chris B.

You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) = 7 / 6
    vs. Ooh La La (The Faces) = 8 / 7

Midnight Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) = 7.2 / 2
    vs. You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) = 8.6 / 7
    Chris really dislikes Midnight Train. REAAAAALLY. I likes it. But Smokey, man, he owns this one.

Sister Golden Hair (America) = 7.5 / 11
    vs. Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) = 10 / 1
    Chris on SGH “Oh shit! I love this song!” …but he knows it is going to get crushed. So he said “I still have my 11, right? Let’s super Danno Hammer that shit.” haha he means business.
    (he might not know that I gave Landslide a 10…shh).

Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) = 7 / 4
    vs. Up Around the Bend (CCR) = 8.8 / 8
    Florence is suffering from repeat listening. This sound just isn’t as good time after time. CCR will always be good and sound good.

• janos marton says:

I like your sneakiness on Landslide. He’ll also be disappointed to know we’re not doin’ 11s…But a hammer is a hammer.

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) vs. #2 Ooh La La (The Faces) 10.0 to 5.0

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) vs. #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) 9.0 to 8.0

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) vs. #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) 7.0 to 9.2

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) vs. #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR) 8.0 to 7.0

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) vs. #2 Ooh La La (The Faces) 10.0 to 3.5

Division J Championship

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) vs. #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) 9.0 to 7.0

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) vs. #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) 5.5 to 10.0

Division L Championship

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) vs. #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR) 6.0 to 8.0

You Are The Best Thing– 1
    Ooh La La– 9.5
    I’ve come to like Oh La La more and more, and You Are the Best Thing less and less. I’m kind of sorry to put the Danno hammer down like this, but here’s my reasons: at this point in the tournament, a song should have some kind originality or feeling to it. Ray LaMontagne is shamelessly derivative of 60s soul without adding anything new, and what’s worse is that he doesn’t sound like he believes what he’s singing for a minute. Derivative is not in and of itself a problem for me, but insincerity is a deal breaker. The Faces reward repeated and focused listening. I’d like to hear more.

Midnight Train– 4
    You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me– 6.8
    I’m a sucker for a good torch song.

Sister Golden Hair– 7.5
    Landslide– 9.5
    I like Sister Golden Hair more each time, but Landslide is just hands-down beautiful.

Dog Days Are Over– 9.5
    Up Around The Bend– 5
    Florence has just grown and grown on me. I say out with the old and in with the the new. CCR is cannon by now. We know it well, we don’t need to hear it more. I’d like to see Florence ascend.

This voting has gotten out of hand. That said, I’ve also got some big gap swings here. Does that mean I’m bowing to the ochlocracy or just content with my system? who cares. Here’s my votes:

You Are The Best Thing– 3 [if 4 is average, I think this song is vastly unoriginal–a direct 60s copy more than post-modern reprising of elements– and his singing doesn’t carry it for me even then.]
    Ooh La La– 7 [really like this- but loses three points for being too generic.]

Midnight Train– 9
    You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me– 3.5 [I’ve been consistent here (see my voting record on this Smokey tune). Gladys’ soulful rendition crushes Smokey’s and the tongue-and-cheek Pips are oodles above the smokey’s background singers, who sound barely awake.]

Sister Golden Hair– 5
    Landslide– 8

Dog Days Are Over– 7
    Up Around The Bend– 8 [just really needed this one today. think that’s my highest for it of the tourney.]

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) 5.9

Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) 6.5
    You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) 6

Sister Golden Hair (America) 7
    Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) 8

Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) 8.5
    Up Around the Bend (CCR) 8.5

Tough one- I listened to it twice but can’t decide. I like both for different reasons and will leave it up to everyone else to choose for me 🙂

18. asf says:

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) – 6
    . #2 Ooh La La (The Faces) – 7

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) – 7.5
    #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) – 7.8

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) – 7.3
    #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) – 4

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) – 5.5
    #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR) – 8

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) – 6.3
    #2 Ooh La La (The Faces) – 7.1

Ray is really good, but this one just wasn’t awesome today. I haven’t been a big Ooh La La fan in the tournament, but today, it was a head bopper.

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) – 4.5
    #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) – 7.5

I’ve always loved MNTtG, but after lots and lots of listens… it just doesn’t have that certain…i don’t know what. At this point, it needs to bloody well find it. On the flip side, I haven’t had a great reaction to Smokey in this tournament, as I quite honestly have always liked the Mike and the Mechanics version better – and as so many people have said about other songs, that causes serious issues with my reaction. But i just listened to that version over the weekend, and frankly, there’s a level of earnestness in the Smokey version that’s missing from the slicker, better produced, and better instrumental M&M version. So this time, Smokey got at least a point maybe more because it made me change my mind about another piece of music – not something i say often.

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) – 6.1
    #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) – 2.5

I like Sister Golden Hair every time,.. but it has never grabbed me. Can’t really say why. Before I get yelled at about Landslide, I agree it’s lyrics are beautiful, and I love the live versions of it that i’ve heard. But it feels unbelievably dreary sitting in my office listening to it. It keeps threatening to have a check mark effect (drop off early and then a steady build of energy to the ending crescendo), but never does. That failed anticipation is a killer in the Round of 32.

Division L Championship.
    #1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) – 5
    #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR) – 3
    Well Flo, I just have to disagree with you that the dog days are over – they are very much here. Tough to know what to do with this song – infectious groove and energy, but vocals that make me wish it was someone else’s office. I’ve been on record saying I don’t particularly love Up Around the Bend – and another listen has not changed my disposition towards it. Maybe its the fact that I’m currently debating how many times I want to shoot Carl Crawford right now, but I’m not inclined to be gentle.

20. dj roomba says:

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) – 8.95
    vs. #2 Ooh La La (The Faces) -8.45

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) – 9.25
    vs. #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) – 8.5

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America)* – 5.125
    vs. #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)*- 5

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) – 8.5
    vs. #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR)* – 5.25

*These three songs really require me to be in a car in order to fully appreciate them. Unfortunately for them, I am in a library. And again, I don’t know why I even vote. My scoring is to close to have any effect on the final results. Blerg.

21. nataliebabij says:

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) – 6.7
    #2 Ooh La La (The Faces) – 5
    the vocals are too flat in ooh la la

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) – 4 (not feeling the woo-woo)
    #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles) – 2 (this is straight annoying to me & earned an extra point for midnight train)

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) – 4.3

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) – 6.5
    #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) – 8

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) – 10
    #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR) – 4

24. chrisroomba says:

#1 You Are The Best Thing (Ray LaMontagne) vs. #2 Ooh La La (The Faces): 10/1
    Every time i hear Ooh La La, it’s worse. It’s reached the level of hate.

Division J Championship

#1 Midnight Night Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips) vs. #2 You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles): 8/6

#1 Sister Golden Hair (America) vs. #2 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac): 8/2
    Hate you landslide

Division L Championship

#1 Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine) vs. #2 Up Around the Bend (CCR): 7/8