Round of 32: Division E, F, G, H Finals

Div E: Some jumping jacks to love?

And on we go.  Tonight I share with you four more divisions who will each be represented by only one song after the next 48 hours.

Listen to all the contenders here or use the widget below.  Submit your scores via the comment section.  Votes must be in by Wednesday, August 16th at 8 pm EDT.

Division E has our classic rock battle, with Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) up against Jumping Jack Flash.  Queen is heavily favored here.

Div F: A kiss to build an Atlantic City dream on?

Division F is a faceoff between two artists who have performed notable renditions of “When the Saints Go Marching In,” not that A Kiss to Build a Dream On or Atlantic City are at all reminiscent of that tune.

Div G: If you'd rather go blind someday?

Division G is a battle of underdogs. Both I’d Rather Go Blind and Someday won via upsets in the Round of 64.

Div H: A mountain high enough to have a bad reputation?

Division H is a stiff competition between artists whose biographies Lil Wayne read while in prison: Ain’t No Mountain High Enough versus Bad Reputation.

Pasties (tee hee) Pastable below.  Let’s do this.

Division E:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen)
#2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones)

Division F:

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong)
#2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen)

Division G:

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James)
#3 Someday (The Strokes)

Division H:

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell)
#2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett)

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Round of 32: Division E, F, G, H Finals

It looks like you had a lot of fun making this post, Natalie…

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 8
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 8

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 9.5
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 4
    I HATE this version of Atlantic City — if it hadn’t spawned so many satisfying covers, I would probably give it a 2.

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 8
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 8.25
    The Strokes get a slight edge tonight.

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 10
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) 4.5
    Marvin, you had me at “Listen, Baby.”

3. Tournament overload is now official says:

So I think I’m officially sick of most of these songs. I used to rank each selection based on what I thought of it or what it meant to me. Now I rank them on whether I can bring myself to listen to them for umpteenth time and whether the possibility that they might end up stuck in my head again makes me want to off myself.

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 5
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 5

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 4
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 6

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 9
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 5

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 3
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) 10 This passes the want to listen to again test with flying colors. I might even listen to it again this afternoon.

4. chrisroomba says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen)-9.95
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones)-1

I don’t care. Jack Flash sucks.

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong)-3

#3 Someday (The Strokes) [8]

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) [6]
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) [9.25]

7. Guillermo Olivos says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 9
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 6

We’re getting well along on our quest to crown Queen the best band of all time- regardless of how STL does going forward, between the silver and the bronze in LTDMT, the STL run . Is it too soon to say “Don’t Stop Me Now?” (that’s gold, people)

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 8.5
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 10

OK here’s my Atlantic City story since I think it’s going out now. In January I had just moved to the DC area and was super psyched about trying new and cool things to meet people. I do own a guitar and I can play a few songs, but I have never taken a lesson and let’s be honest- I’m not very good. I can rock a Jim Schiller “Reverse Cowgirl” at a Yale SOM Talent Show, and in fact did two years in a row to my Dean’s chagrin. But I can’t say that my business school talent show is the same as open mike at a real Adams Morgan bar. Undaunted by life and not caring about having exactly 2.25 friends in the region, I charged down to Bobby Lew’s Saloon on a Thursday night armed with my hard case containing my acoustic electric Ibanez and a dream. I signed up to play and was about 8th on the list. I sat at the bar and drank PBR’s while I watched act after act go off, people armed with crews of fans, shitty looking college kids, cooler looking college kids, a cute girl that played a fiddle, a guy with 10 harps, an old bluegrass-y trio thing. Finally it was 12:15 and they called my name. By this point I had been pretty deep into drinks (if you played open mike, everything was half off. this was brilliant) and had been shooting the shit with other lone rangers.

I got all plugged in and couldn’t remember the actual happier songs I had taught myself to play besides “Wagon Wheel.” So I played Wagon Wheel and got that cute fiddler and the guy with the harmonicas to improvise with me, and that went well. I hoped that by the time I’d finished I’d remember another song to play, anything not melancholy. But for some reason the only thing I could remember was Capo 3, Em, G, C, G. So I was like fuck it, and said something into the mike to the tune of “this is a pretty sad song but maybe it’s a happy song?”

So I played Atlantic City and the few people still in this dive bar just sorta stared at me with a “why would you play this song” look. Also I’m not sure I was in key and probably just a sad seeming dude trying to make friends and failing miserably. Finally, to add insult to injury, I forgot the third verse. I got a few words into it and then just switched back into the chorus. I stumbled across the finish line and before I could even think of playing something else (it would have been “Reason To Believe” or “Hallelujah”, I have no idea why all of the songs I have memorized are such sad bastard tunes. Well I sorta do.) the emcee grabbed the microphone and said:

“Alright, well let’s hear it for Guillermo. But honestly Guillermo, we were gonna end our night with you, but we can’t do that. Come on, let’s get the Statler Brothers sound back up here, how bout that?”

The few in the audience cheered and no one paid mind to me as I packed up my guitar. The few talking friends I had before I played all sorta brushed me aside and looked past me- I think at that point in the night, people will talk to you until they realize you’re not as good as they thought you were, and you don’t get points for bravery in the big city like you do at volunteer camp/business school talent shows. Chagrined, I loaded up, half smiled at the banjo, and descended out into the cold January night. Yet somewhere in me as I left was a pride for two reasons: one, I’d been brave. And two, this moment felt more Atlantic City than any other I’d felt before, and when life and music intersect in clockstop instances like this, you’d be lame not to acknowledge it.

That’s a 10 to me you know, in a different way than a Thunder Road 10 or a Stand By Me 10. And just remembering that story to write it down brings me back to that moment, so yes.

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 9.25
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 7.5

Trying to find the album with this song on it consumed half of my time at the CDepot used record store last night.

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 8

#2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones): 6.9

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong): 7.4
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen): 9.2

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James): 6.6
    #3 Someday (The Strokes): 8.5

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell): 7.1
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett): 8.9 Maybe the highest score I’ve given it. It’s a killer morning song, gotta add it to the breakfast rotation.

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 9
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 6

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 8
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 6

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 5
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 8

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 6.5
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) 7

18. tspell says:

Division E:
    #1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 8.5 — Freddie kills it.
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 5 — What is he doing? Shitting up gas? Meh.

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 5
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 9 — Some days the boss and I are just on the same page.

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 7
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 9.5

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 4
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) 8.5

19. Bday says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 8
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 4

Division F:

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 1 (I don’t want to hear this song anymore, but from the looks of it, I will again next round)
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 10 – I’m admittedly not a Bruce fan but this is probably my favorite by him.

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 1
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 6

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 6
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) 4

20. Anne S. says:

The songs I like, I mostly like less due to repetition. And the songs I already didn’t like, I’m starting to like even less.

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 7
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 4

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 7.9
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 4

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 2
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 9.5

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 8
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) 3

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) 6.1
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) 4.5

Somebody to Love is a really good song, but so much of this track is living off of Freddie’s interaction… and I am not really in a live music mood. That said… Jumping Jack Flash isn’t anything special at this point in the tournament.

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) 7
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) 7.8

Louis just gives a warm and fuzzy feeling. He may not have elite potential at this point, but he’s definitely got a really high floor. Unfortunately, Springsteen was dialed in – I don’t particularly love Atlantic City, but there was far more raw emotional input from Bruce on this one, and it drew a great response. That ability has proved Bruce well through two tourneys, and it makes him sneakier than he is getting credit for.

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) 3
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) 5.5

Not sure why I don’t get I’d Rather Go Blind…but I don’t.

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) 8.5
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) 6

22. nataliebabij says:

hmm, time to find out which of these songs pass the headache test…

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) – 6
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) – 6.5

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) – 3
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) – 6.5

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) – 3.5
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) – 7

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) – 5
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) – 4.5

23. dj roomba says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) – 9
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) – 4
    I haven’t dropped a lame-o reference in a while now… but does anyone else secretly like the Anne Hathaway version of Somebody to Love (from Ella Enchanted) better than this version… or is it just me. That said, no matter what, still have to give it a 9.

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) – 8
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) – 3.5

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) – 8.5
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) – 9
    I feel like I haven’t voted for these two songs yet… maybe just not in a while? Either way, I really liked both of these today. Or maybe I am just in a giving mood.

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) – 7
    #2 Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) – 9.5
    I am giving Bad Reputation a 9.5 in honor of the 2 copies of Freaks & Geeks Season 1, Disc 3 that I have had from Netflix since last September. Also because it never gets old for me. I might make it my ringtone. I am deciding between that and the Covert Affairs theme song.

24. Maureen says:

Votes for me / Chris B.

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) (Queen) – 9.7 / 7
    #2 Jumping Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) – 5 / 4
    Jumping Jack Flash is just kind of boring. Chris thinks it is overrated. Somebody to Love, meanwhile, just rocks. Most 10s awarded to a single song? It seems like it.

#1 A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong) – 6.8 / 3
    #2 Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen) – 9.5 / 5
    When you think about the lyrics of A Kiss to Build a Dream On, it is really kind of creepy. Right? Chris acknowledges this song is a classic, but he almost fell asleep, so that’s that.
    I like the tone, feel, sound of Atlantic City so much.

#4 I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James) – 8.8 / 4
    #3 Someday (The Strokes) – 5 / 6
    Chris and I had a very different reaction to Etta. He was falling asleep, my heart was breaking.

#1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell) – 7 / 5