Round of 128: Division E

Votes due by Saturday, July 16th at 8 PM EST. Welcome to the division that rocks.  With Queen, the Rolling Stones and the Pixies, this feels like the classic rock stations many of us grew up on.  Listen to all the tunes here, and vote by commenting below before 8pm EST on Saturday.  Folks, this is prime listening party material, with Friday night and Saturday afternoon blocks ahead of us.

First, we have top-seed “Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)” by Queen against Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals).   “Somebody to Love” is currently tied for fourth in our ongoing poll, with 11.5% of voters predicting it will go all the way.  In contrast, Toots kind of limped in to this one, but it’s not just his fault. Reggae has had trouble catchin’ a fire for the last two tournaments in general, with even magic Bob Marley struggling to make a dent.

Next, in our oddball matchup, we’ve got “Classic Gas” (Mason Williams) against “Motorway to Roswell” (Pixies).  “Classical Gas” is one of two instrumentals to make its way into the Round of 128.   I’m befuddled as to how “Motorway to Roswell” is here when the iconic Pixies song  “Here Comes Your Man” bowed out in the first round.

“Jumpin’ Jack Flash” (Rolling Stones) was a last-minute scratch from the Living the Dream Tournament.  The Stones, after all, were heavily represented, and inevitably one of their mega-hits was going to be left behind.  Now Keith’s favorite Stones lick goes head to head against the ballad “I’m Yours” (Jason Mraz), which is about as un-Keith as any song in the tournament.

Finally, Queen reprises with “39”, against Midnight Spin’s “Trigger Finger Itch”.  The Midnight Spin team got some love from their fan base last time- but like other musicians who have voted over the last two tournaments, the band members themselves will often vote for their opponents if so moved.

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies)

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz)

#3 39 (Queen) vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin)

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Music, Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Round of 128: Division E

7.2/5
    I love Queen a lot, but this live version does less for me than the studio version. Although I do like hearing Freddy Mercury speak at the end.

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies)
    8/7.6

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz)
    7/6.5

#3 39 (Queen) vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin)
    10/5
    God only Queen would open a song with an operatic choral vocal over a simple acoustic guitar riff. This is my favorite Queen song.

5.5/5.8

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies)
    6.5/8

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz)
    6.5/3.5

#3 39 (Queen) vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin)
    9/7

3. Lenny says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) 7
    vs. Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 7

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) 5 I’ll always associate this song with Lisa Simpson, who plays it at Lenny’s request as a follow up to her strike anthem “They Have the Plant But We Have the Power.”
    vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 10 Janos, Here Comes Your Man failed to advance at least in part because the version that was posted was some out take or BBC rendition that didn’t do the song justice. That said, I still think Motorway is more interesting, both musically and lyrically, but then I’m partial to the Pixies’s intergalactic surf-rock off their last couple albums.

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) 6
    vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 2

#3 39 (Queen) 7 Is it just me, or does Brian May sound just like Paul McCartney?
    vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) 4

4. Anne S. says:

Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal) 8
    Funky Kingston 6
    Hearing Somebody to Love first thing this morning doubled my productivity.

Classic Gas 4.5
    Motorway to Roswell 7.8

Jumpin’ Jack Flash 3.5
    I’m Yours 7

39 7.5
    Trigger Finger Itch 6.5

5. chris roomba says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) vs. Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals): 9.8/3 Freddie really rocks the house. It’s almost a 10 (the studio version or George Michael at the Freddie Tribute at Wembley would be).

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies): 7/6
    Classic Gas is pretty cool.

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 6/10
    Ready for some blasphemy: I feel about the Rolling Stones like some people feel about U2. I don’t get the infatuation, they have very few songs I actually like (though many more are highly acclaimed). Jason Mraz remains a 10.

#3 39 (Queen) vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin): 8/5
    Freddie’s voice has a quality that you rarely hear from him in 39.

6. #1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) 7
    #8 Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 7.8

Funky Kingston was exactly what I needed on a Friday morning a la oficina, I guess I had the opposite reaction that Anne did.

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) 5.7
    #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 6.9

Damn Classical Gas, I guess I don’t mind that you are an instrumental, because this song sounds like an adventure. But Motorway grew on me between last round and this round.

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) 4
    #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 4.5

Jumpin’ Jack Flash never did it for me. This version of I’m Yours is overcomplicated, like I said last round. I don’t really care what happens here.

#3 39 (Queen) 9.4
    #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) 5.8

OK this is an honest question, maybe Aiko knows the answer- is ’39 about the future? Is it about the year 2039? That’s how I hear it…I love it though. I wish Murder on the Dash had been matched up against Paradise By The Dashboard Light, because that would have been amusing to me. No contest here, ’39 is also a song this tournament convinced me to buy.

As a side note, the reseeding resulted in some hard situations (I have a division coming up where the 1 seed and the 2 seed are both my nominations. WTF) but I promise, the math here was just what it was for the double Queen. STL was the song with the 6th highest average and ’39 was the song with the 38th highest average (6, 27, 38…hopefully this equation isn’t lost on everyone, it makes sense I promise.) We’ll just have to see what comes out of this, lot of good songs here.

• aiko says:

Dude, I didn’t even realize that wasn’t Freddie on primary vocals, what do I know about anything? Although this is according to wikipedia:

” “’39” was May’s attempt to do “sci-fi skittle”. “’39” relates the tale of a group of space explorers who embark on what is, from their perspective, a year-long voyage. Upon their return, however, they realise that a hundred years have passed, because of the time dilation effect in Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity, and the loved ones they left behind are now all dead. “

7. Maureen says:

Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) – 9
    Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) – 5
    I just love Queen. That Freddy Mercury kind of kills it, huh? Not really feeling Toots today.

Classic Gas (Mason Williams) – 5
    Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) – 4

Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) – 8
    I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) – 6

39 (Queen) – 7
    Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) – 6

Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) – 6.4
    Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) – 9.7
    Will this be the end of Reggae in the tournament? Toots makes me want to dance every time. This is not my favorite Queen song.

Classic Gas (Mason Williams) – 8.7
    Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) – 5.2
    Classical Gas is super mellow. Love it. Motorway to Roswell is a bit cacophanous. I understand the influence and importance of the Pixies to grunge and several other subsequent genres, but little of their stuff is really fun to listen to. They’re just somehow ‘cool’. Kinda like how “The Peanuts” aren’t funny, but yet somehow ‘cool’ and everyone loves them.

Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) – 6.2
    I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) – 9.3
    Jumpin’ Jack Flash is definitely not the best song by the Stones. Its one of their more dated tunes, imo. I’m Yours is just a song I like to hear all the time. I’m sure I’d hate on it like the rest of you if I listened to more radio and had been burnt out on it, but damnit if its not catchy and just chill and fun.

39 (Queen) – 8.9
    Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) – 5.5
    Not familiar with 39. Had a totally different quality to it than other Queen songs. Very operasque, fun chord progressions and instrumentals. Also dig the vocalist.
    Trigger Finger Itch is ok.

9. nataliebabij says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) – 5
    Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) – 6

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) – 5.5
    #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) – 7.5

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) – 8
    #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) – 4.5

#3 39 (Queen) – 7.5
    #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) – 5.5

no time for commentary! : (

10. mike says:

Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) – stadium ballad. gets an 8 cause freddy could sing in a hailstorm and make it sound effortless.
    Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) – 6

Classic Gas (Mason Williams) – 3. this makes me think of corny guitar teachers.
    Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) – 4. would have an easier time with a nominee from surfer rosa or doolittle.

Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) – 10. tom petty’s favorite song of all time for a reason.
    I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) – 1. take the fedora and go.

39 (Queen) – 5. nice country melody, but it’s no ‘1921’ off ‘Tommy’.
    Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) – 10. blow up all the other songs and declare this a winner already. it needs more awards.

11. sarita says:

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) – 7
    vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) – 6 –

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) – 10 –
    vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) – 2 –

#3 39 (Queen) – 4 –
    vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) – 10 – keep on truckin MS

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) vs. Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 8.5 to 5.0

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 7.0 to 4.0

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 6.0 to 9.0

#3 39 (Queen) vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) 6.0 to 7.5

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) vs. Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 10.0 to 5.5 Yes, the studio version is more pleasing to the ear but so what – the energy level just seeps thru the speakers. Funky would be better with more Kingston.

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 6.5 to 4.0 Mason is starting to give me gas but the Pixies should just fly away.

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 6.0 to 9.0 I like JJF but time has taken its toll – kind of like Mick. I’m Yours is just great. Lots of pop and lots of life.

#3 39 (Queen) vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) – 6.5 to 7.5 Freddie’s track is OK but a bit of a downer. Tonight I have an Itch; preferably taken in small batches only.

Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) 6

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) [6]
    #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) [5]

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) [6]
    #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) [7.5]

#3 39 (Queen) [4]
    #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) [7.25]

I’m voting this morning with Casey, my cutest littlest sister. My scores, then hers.

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) 8/6
    Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 4/4 We aren’t feeling very funky this morning.

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) 4/2
    #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 6/4

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) 8.75/6
    #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 8/8 Casey is very stingy with her scores, so her 8s are more like my 15s. I don’t think she’ll ever give a 10.

#3 39 (Queen) 4/5

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) 6.5
    #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 4.5

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) 7.8
    #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 4

#3 39 (Queen) 6.8
    #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) 9.1

Liking Trigger Finger Itch more every time. Bring on the round of 64!

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) 9
    Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 4

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) 6.5
    #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 4

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) 4
    #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 8.5

#3 39 (Queen) 5
    #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) 7

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) 5
    #8 Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 3
    I find the embellishments on the live version of STL annoying and I wish they weren’t there. Funky kingston just ain’t for me.

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) 7
    #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) 5
    Really enjoyed Classical Gas: somehow reminds me of a childhood spent outdoor adventuring and random storytelling with friends.

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) 6
    #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) 4
    Nothing had changed since my last hate on I’m Yours. For some reason (probably its constant former ubiquity) I find it incredibly irritating. JJF drags a little, I think, and sounds pretty dated to me.

#3 39 (Queen) 8.5
    #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) 5
    I like 39 – it’s interesting and nice all at once. The pop punk fanboy inside of me kind of likes Trigger Finger Itch but it’s so similar to a million other songs in its genre and feels like one of those songs that will be easily forgotten.

22. dj roomba says:

#1 Somebody to Love (Live in Montreal)(Queen) -9
    vs. Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) – 5

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) – 7.25
    vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies) – 7.5

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) – 4.75
    vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz) – 7.5

#3 39 (Queen) – 7.75
    vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin) – 8

Me , Cristina and Lucky Two Thumbs here. I couldn’t corral a bigger listening party before the 8pm deadline, but perhaps for F.

10 / 9.5 /10: 5.9 / 6.5 / 3
    Janos: Somebody to Love just puts me in the zone these days. I was really tried hard to get into Funky Kingdom, but that raspy voice wasn’t doing it for me right after Mercury.

#4 Classic Gas (Mason Williams) vs. #5 Motorway to Roswell (Pixies)
    5 / 4 /2 : 6.7 / 5.5 / 4
    Sorry Jacob, I’m with Mike – more of a Doolittle and Surfer Rosa guy.

#2 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Rolling Stones) vs. #7 I’m Yours (Jason Mraz)
    6.6 / 6.5/ 6.5 : 6.6 / 7.2 / 3
    I came into this with low expectations for Mraz, but this is pretty catchy stuff.
    We all agree that this is not one of the great Stones songs.

#3 39 (Queen) vs. #6 Trigger Finger Itch (Midnight Spin)
    7.9 / 6.8 / 3 : 8.2 / 9 / 9