Round of 64: Divisions I and J Semi-Finals

Votes are due by Friday April 8th at 8 pm EST: Both Divisions I and J feature powerhouse folk rock narratives in top seed spots, and both are facing off against Beatles songs. This is going to really depend on people’s moods. The other major story here is the strange case of the left side of Division J, where we have a London Calling vs Combat Rock match-up of late 70’s Clash vs early 80’s Clash (I don’t know enough about Clash history to say whether this is significant or not, that’s a Janos question.) Anyways, that’s just the way the cookie crumbled- just like Johnny Cash in Division F, no matter what happens The Clash is guaranteed a Round of 32 appearance.

Grooveshark link is here except for A Day In The Life and Twist And Shout. Vote by commenting on this post or by e-mailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com. Votes are due by Friday April 8th at 8 pm EST. Best of luck to all songs.

Division I Semi-Finals

#1 Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) vs. #4 A Day In The Life (The Beatles)

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) vs. #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty)

Division J Semi-Finals

#4 Rock the Casbah (The Clash) vs. #9 Train In Vain (The Clash)

#2 America (Simon & Garfunkel) vs. #6 Twist And Shout (The Beatles)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Round of 64: Divisions I and J Semi-Finals

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) ~ 3
    A Day In The Life (The Beatles) ~ 4
    Not really feeling either song. Those Beatles breakdowns don’t do anything for me, and Tangled Up In Blue just rambles.

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) ~ 6.5
    Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) ~8.1
    I think I prefer CCR’s Grapevine, long as it is. Both songs are a nice change of pace after the first two…

Rock the Casbah (The Clash) ~ 3.5
    Train In Vain (The Clash) ~ 4
    Guess I’m not a big Clash fan.

America (Simon & Garfunkel) ~ 2
    Twist And Shout (The Beatles) ~ 7
    Oof. I am in a good mood, but none of these songs really jumped out at me. Rough day…

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) ~ 7

rock the casbah – 3
    train in vain – 5

america – 10
    twist & shout – 7

4. Albert Hall says:

#1 Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) 6 vs. #4 A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 10

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 5 vs. #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 9

#4 Rock the Casbah (The Clash) 6 vs. #9 Train In Vain (The Clash) 9

#2 America (Simon & Garfunkel) 7 vs. #6 Twist And Shout (The Beatles) 10 I love America, but I loved Twist and Shout first.

Division I Semi-Finals

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) 5
    A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 2

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 3.5
    Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 2.5

Rock the Casbah (The Clash) 5
    Train In Vain (The Clash) 7.5
    I still wish Lost in the Supermarket had been in the tourney. Unless I missed it early on.

America (Simon & Garfunkel) 9.5
    Twist And Shout (The Beatles) 8
    Twist and Shout will get a party going under almost any circumstances. But America is, like, deep. So it won. Regardless, I wish both these songs could go on instead of either of those in the second match up.

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) ~ 3.8
    A Day In The Life (The Beatles) ~ 3

Just not feeling either of these.

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) ~ 7.1
    Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) ~ 6

I’m truly tired of listening to Tom Petty. And yet, this song is so good, it just can’t get a bad score from me. This puppy is a Sweet 16 lock in my mind.

Rock the Casbah (The Clash) ~ 9
    Train In Vain (The Clash) ~ 6.8

God I wish we could split these up so I could send to Clash songs on. Casbah has always gotten my vote as a top 5 clash song (along with London Calling, Spanish Bombs, Magnificent Seven and Guns of Brixton), so it’s getting it here too. Glad they are moving on.

America (Simon & Garfunkel) ~ 5.8
    Twist And Shout (The Beatles) ~ 8.8

Damn. That was unexpected. America just felt flat until about 3 minutes in, and Twist and Shout was just a terrific exciter to end this group.

8. Kate M says:

Matchups in two parts again today. It is cold this morning (by that I mean 70F) and rainy, so the weather definitely affected our voting with Marvin Gaye putting a smile on everyone’s face (but when does he not?).

Tangled Up in Blue:
    Dave: 5
    Dennys: 5
    Kate: 2
    Tony: 6

A Day in the Life:
    This is #26 on the Rolling Stones list? Really?
    Dave: 8

5= Really Good
    6= Great
    7= Simply Fantastic
    8= Exceptional
    9= Epic
    10= Perfect

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) 8 [I think Melissa Ethridge (sure, why the fuck not?), on some VH1 thing, once described Thunder Road as one of those songs you know every word to, and they almost never repeat, and there’s a lot of them…that’s when you begin to realize how good it is. That’s what I noticed here. Fundamentally Dylan at his absolute best of his best album.]
    A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 9.5 [But, we’ve got the Beatles at their best here, too. Musically, this wins. It was revolutionary then and it’s still, quite frankly, so strange and compelling in 2011…and what in christ’s creation is the structure of this song?]

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 4 [dropped from a 6.5 to a 4 because it refuses to build. Ok. I understand you heard it, but um…. any thoughts on that?….you just said that….. uh-huh… well um…. I got another call but….yes, yes, through the grape vine. Loud and clear…. look… (sigh*… pause)… alright, you take …. Marvin?…. you take ca-Let me know how it all works out…I’m hanging up now… ok…yup… got it…”
    Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 4.5.

Rock the Casbah (The Clash) 3.5 (never liked this as a single. It works great bookended by Should I Staty or Should I Go? and Red Angel, but it mehs me everytime I hear it as a solo track.)
    Train In Vain (The Clash) 6.5

America (Simon & Garfunkel) 6
    Twist And Shout (The Beatles) 7

10. Kate M says:

And we’re back with our post lunch votes. The selection is killing us today. No Clash fans here apparently, I think we would have been happy to eliminate both these songs…

Casbah:

Tony 4

America
    Dave 3
    Dennys 3
    Kate 7
    Tony 3

Twist and Shout (some of the epicness of this song is lost when you are not on a wedding dance floor with someone’s drunk uncle about to keel over)

Dave 7
    Dennys 7
    Kate 8
    Tony 5

11. guillermo olivos says:

Division I Semi-Finals

#1 Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) 7.8
    #4 A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 3

The DITL transitions hurt my face. On TUIB, if this is Dylan’s last hurrah, give “Visions of Johanna” and “Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts” chances (silver and bronze medalists in my personal Bob Dylan Narratives category. Tangled is gold though.)

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 6.5
    #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 6.75

Division J Semi-Finals

#4 Rock the Casbah (The Clash) 9
    #9 Train In Vain (The Clash) 7.6

Well-placed use of sound effects wins bonus points.

#2 America (Simon & Garfunkel) 7
    #6 Twist And Shout (The Beatles) 8.5

Now THIS is some Beatles I can get behind. Sorry S&G, this is just too fun not to get my approval.

12. Dinah says:

Tangled Up in Blue (5)
    Day in the Life (7)

Grapevine (7)
    Free Fallin (5)

Rock the Casbah (6)
    Train in Vain (8)

America (2)
    Twist and Shout (10) — it’s just perfect.

13. Janos says:

Tangled Up in Blue: 9.5
    Day in the Life 7.2
    Tangled Up In Blue is a former personal tournament champion. Today I was particularly struck by Dylan’s imagination- the story sounds so personal, though of course as someone who was famous from the age of 21, little of this could have ever happened to him.

Grapevine 4.5
    G @ hilarious. Very hard to take Grapevine seriously after that analysis. Also, I imagine the “not much longer” period post song, pre-break up must have been slightly awkward.
    Free Fallin’ 7
    What’s up with that whole third verse about vampires?

Rock the Casbah 8
    Train in Vain 7.8
    Casbah won my personal tournament four times (second most ever), but it doesn’t conjure the same energy it did almost 15 years ago. I’ll save my Train in Vain anecdote for the Round of 32, where it looks to be heading.

America 7.5