LTDMT: Division P, Day 1

It pains me to know that 5 out of these 10 songs will not be advancing to the Division P bracket. This group is looking VERY strong, pretty bad ass songs from all sorts of decades. Let’s start the last mile, voters- Grooveshark link is here. Vote by commenting on the post, or via LTDdotorg@gmail.com. Votes are due by Friday at 9 pm. Follow your hearts, best of luck to all songs.

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) vs. Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream)

Debaser (Pixies) vs. I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground)

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) vs. Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)

Pride (In The Name Of Love) U2 vs. Selling The Drama (Live)

Everyday (Buddy Holly) vs. Piano Man (Billy Joel)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to LTDMT: Division P, Day 1

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) vs. Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) = 8 to 7

Debaser (Pixies) vs. I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground) = 7.5 to 8

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) vs. Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) = 2 to 4

Pride (In The Name Of Love) U2 vs. Selling The Drama (Live) = 7 to 3

Everyday (Buddy Holly) vs. Piano Man (Billy Joel) = 8 to 9

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) 6.5
    Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) 4.5
    A battle of fantastic riffs… but neither song stands up particularly well to a good, sober listen. Not that they were intended for that. Still, Lust for Life is the ultimate gritty background noise, and the riff doesn’t get old after 5 minutes like the one in Sunshine of My Love does.

Debaser (Pixies) 8.5
    I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground) 6
    Love the ragged vocals over the clean guitar in Debaser… Also love that Velvet Underground song, but head to head it’s less interesting and there are better songs of theirs. So I’m exaggerating my scores a little because I really want the Pixies to go on. I guess it’s crappy gaming to tell you what I’m playing at.

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) 5.5
    Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) 5.5

Pride (In The Name Of Love) U2 7
    Selling The Drama (Live) 4
    I actually expected to like that Live song a lot more, but it didn’t stand the test of time gracefully. Nonetheless, if there’s one thing this music tournament has done is reawaken my dormant love of 90s music. I’ve been kind of hating on that decade for awhile. I think that’s got to end.

Everyday (Buddy Holly) 7
    Piano Man (Billy Joel) 8

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) 5.5
    Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) 8.5
    Gotta disagree heavily with Aiko. Lust for LIfe is a great riff for 2 minutes (which is why it’s so effective in movie/tv clips) but it grinds you down in minutes 3-5. Sunshine for Your Love, on the other hand, is so legendary, and the late solo fill from Clapton is entirely worth it.

Debaser (Pixies) 8
    I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground) 4

However completely agree with AIko on Debaser. Terrific edgy song, absolutely great pump-up for the day. Would love to hear it around midnight in a crowded bar – only great tales could follow.

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) 7.5
    Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) 10

Freebird is legendary, and its guitar solo is unreal – but that said, Gimme Shelter is my all-time favorite Stones song, and is full of some of the greatest licks they ever wrote. I am physically incapable of being unhappy listening to it.

Pride (In The Name Of Love) U2 7
    Selling The Drama (Live) 5

I’m a little saddened by not loving Pride more – U2 has suffered a lot to my ears over the years, other than their really early stuff. I’m sure I must’ve heard the Live song before, but it sort of blended into background noise for me. I missed the 90s musically… and I’ve never really recovered any love for it. At least not the 90s in the US and Britain. Sweden, Italy and Germany, then we have a different discussion….

Everyday (Buddy Holly) 5.5
    Piano Man (Billy Joel) 8.5

Hadn’t heard Everyday before… not bad. Strong Piano Man performance – I feel like historically, this song peters out over a long tournament, because everyone has heard it so many times over, that you just get tired of it fairly fast. That said, it’s a really tough out early.

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) 6
    Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) 4

Debaser (Pixies) 7.5
    I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground) 7.5

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) 6.5 (as much as I didn’t want to like it I still do)
    Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) 6.5

Pride – 6.5
    Selling the Drama – 7

Everyday – 5
    Piano Man – 9

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) 6
    Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) 8.5
    Lust for Life started strong, got really repetitive though. Not a huge fan of Iggy’s vocals. Sunshine is phenomenal. Like it on all levels.

Debaser (Pixies) 7
    I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground) 7
    Liked both these songs more than I was expecting. Couldn’t really choose between them though, or tell when one ended.

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) 7
    Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) 5

Pride (In The Name Of Love) 6
    Selling The Drama (Live) 6.5

Everyday (Buddy Holly) 6
    Piano Man (Billy Joel) 9

• The Catholic says:

Ooops, those last ones aren’t mine. Accidentally hit enter:

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) 7
      Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) 8
      Like the instrumentals and backup vocals on Gimme Shelter. Free Bird is just a bit too long.

Pride (In The Name Of Love) 7
      Selling The Drama (Live) 7.5
      Pride is a little dated. Selling the Drama was better than I expected.

Everyday (Buddy Holly) 8
      Piano Man (Billy Joel) 8
      Can’t choose. Everyday was way ahead of its time.
      Piano man is solid.

8. guillermo says:

Bound to the match-ups I have on my computer, not sure if I will have webs before the deadline, driving from dc to cleveland in a few mins to see my little bro’s Tempest show at Case Western.

Freebird 9
    Gimme Shelter 7.5

I was driving from Texarkana to Beaumont one morning this past August and Freebird came up on my iPod. I let it run and realized that although pop culture sorta tries to make a joke of this song, it is 100%awesome and I’ve been bandwagon dismissing it for too long. GS is good, but sort of a downer- FB is a much better start the day song.

Pride 4
    Selling the Drama 5.5

Eek. Seminal songs in their day…maybe. Regardless, neither really does it for me in 2011.

Everyday 7
    Piano Man 9

My love of songs on the Stand By Me soundtrack is enormous. Piano Man completely surprised me…there may not be a better anthem for lonely drunks at lonelier bars with the loneliest lives. Score only went up as the song went on.

9. Janos says:

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) 8
    Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) 7.5
    Lust for Life is an epic song about an epic man.

Debaser (Pixies) 7.5
    I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground) 6.5
    Gotta echo Aiko. Love Velvet Underground, but this song sounds stale after Debaser.

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) 7
    Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones) 8

Pride (In The Name Of Love) 9.5
    Selling The Drama (Live) 6
    Pretty surprised to see the so-so scores for Pride- to me, this is the best vocal performance of Bono’s career, and one of U2’s top three songs.

Everyday (Buddy Holly) 7 Used to great effect in the seminal movie, Big Fish.
    Piano Man (Billy Joel) 9

Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones): 4

Pride (In The Name Of Love) U2: 4
    Selling The Drama (Live): 6

Everyday (Buddy Holly): 7.5
    Piano Man (Billy Joel): 7

12. Carrie says:

If possible, change Piano Man to 8. Thanks.

lust for life – 7.5
    sunshine of your love – 7

debaser – 6.5
    i’m waiting for the man – 5

free bird – 7.5
    gimme shelter – 8

pride – 9
    selling the drama – 8.5

i ran out of time for the last matchup, freebird took too long.

14. guillermo olivos says:

Votes coming live from the Euclid Cafe in Cleveland, OH. So so random…it’s fine.

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop): 6
    Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream): 5

Eric, I loved your biography, but this is boring in 2011. Iggy, your song is a little more engaging, but repetitive as hell.

Debaser (Pixies): 7
    I’m Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground): 5

Track 1 from Doolittle? Give it to ’em! This song is a little more put together than others by these guys. Go. The VU song sounds precisely average.

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd): 7.5
    Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones): 7

I can’t remember where or when it happened, but at some point pop culture said “let’s laugh at Free Bird.” I agreed with this until last August, somewhere between Texarkana and Beaumont when this came on my iPod shuffle and i gave it a full listen and remembered that in fact, this is an awesome song. Felt some of the same toay. Gimme Shelter is also really cool, but I’m giving it to Free Bird.

Pride (In The Name Of Love) U2: 4
    Selling The Drama (Live): 4

Match-ups like this make me cringe at my street credibility as a co-administrator of this tournament. Pride is the song I always skipped on my Best of U2 CD so I could hear New Year’s Day. And Selling The Drama is the song I skipped five spots (I think) so I could hear All Over You. You all seed this winner, I am not helping this one.

Everyday (Buddy Holly): 6.5
    Piano Man (Billy Joel): 9

Oof, the background singers are killing Buddy- my fault for picking a bad version of this. Piano Man is a testament, no, a celebration of the sad drunks with sadder lives in the saddest bars of the world. Love, but I don’t see this getting past the 64.

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop) 8.5 vs. Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) 7.5