PCT 2: Elite Eight!

(well, not Springfield)

Thanks to everyone for your patience with the next round- wanted to make sure my partner-in-crime had time to get back from Hungary/Serbia/Finland to help out. And to give everyone a big breath before diving in to select our Final Four songs. We’re doing Elite Eight in one fell swoop, so best of luck to all songs. Playlist is here, and votes are due no later than Friday night at 8 PM.

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers
Killer Queen by Queen

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash
Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes

Australia by The Shins
Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder

Your Love by The Outfield
Just Like Heaven by The Cure

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Music, Music Tournament and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to PCT 2: Elite Eight!

1. Adam S says:

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers 7
    Killer Queen by Queen 6.5

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash 7
    Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes 8

Australia by The Shins 5.5
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder 8

Your Love by The Outfield 6
    Just Like Heaven by The Cure 6

2. Dem Adam says:

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers 8
    Killer Queen by Queen 9

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash 9
    Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes 8
    ok this edward sharpe song grew on me.

Australia by The Shins 6.5
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder 9
    Still working on my mixtape of songs about music. This will surely be on it.

Your Love by The Outfield 8.5
    Just Like Heaven by The Cure 6

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers – 7.5
    Killer Queen by Queen – 8
    I really like the ABs’ song when I hear it but I find myself never remembering it which I think says something.

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash – 3
    Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes – 7.5
    I continue to be completely impervious to the apparent charm of Johnny Cash. I literally find this song almost unlistenable. Man on Fire – on the other hand – is complicated, weird, different, mysterious and intriguing. I want to listen to it more when I hear it.

Australia by The Shins – 8
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder – 5.5

Your Love by The Outfield – 8
    Just Like Heaven by The Cure – 10
    Just Like Heaven is my absolute favourite amongst this last 8 – love, love, love it. I also love the 80s powerhouse that is Your Love (lots of love all round, basically). I’m sad that these two are facing off now. This would be an epic finale. For me, both would likely beat all of the other songs here

4. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers 8.8
    Killer Queen by Queen 7.5

Avett Brothers rising. And I’m a little sick of Queen, although it’s obviously nice. Decide what to be and go be it, sure.

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash 5
    Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes 8.6

Great song to listen to walking by yourself in the woods in autumn. Even better with a dog. Get Rhythm should not have gotten this far, and I’m a Johnny Cash fan.

Australia by The Shins 6
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder 7.2

Stevie Wonder has grown on me. Buck stops here for Australia.

Your Love by The Outfield 8
    Just Like Heaven by The Cure 7

I once rick-rolled my bschool cohort during Fall 1 finals in 2008 with a link claiming to be consolidated notes from all of our Accounting lectures. And by Rick Rolled I mean “Your Love”-rolled, and it was fantastic. I think The Cure could go all the way, but I’m not going to be much help on that.

I hate to say this as an administrator, but I’m not super crazy about any of these songs. I guess one must win, but I don’t feel that same excited anticipation that we had back during the original tournament two years ago.

5. Daddy-O says:

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers – 5.0
    Killer Queen by Queen – 8.0

I’m not into songs that want to deliver a message unless it can also provide entertainment. If I want a message, I can read a book, read a poem, or pick up a pamphlet in a doctor’s office. Freddie is all about the entertainment.

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash – 5.0
    Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes – 7.0

Johnny has much better material out there. This one is too simple. Man on Fire is far better material that I can listen to with frequency and not get bored on the second play.

Australia by The Shins – 7.0
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder – 5.0

Though not remarkable, Australia was the more entertaining for me. Never been a Stevie fan but, he, too, has better material.

Your Love by The Outfield – 5.0
    Just Like Heaven by The Cure – 7.5

Your Love was OK but The Cure just sort of reached out and grabbed me this time around.

My scoring was a little different here. All of the losing plays received a 5.0 because none of them are bad. They just came across as “average” and I needed to differentiate among the winners. From the scoring you can tell that Killer Queen is the only track I have on any of my iPods.

Me and C

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers 6 / 3
    Killer Queen by Queen 8 / 8

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash 5.9 / 8.4
    Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes 9.3 / 7.5
    Shocked C went the other way. I just don’t think Get Rhythm is a top 10 Johnny Cash song.

Australia by The Shins 10 / 7
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder 5.5 / 4
    Stevie is mind-bogglingly repetitive here.

Your Love by The Outfield 6 / 6.7
    Just Like Heaven by The Cure 9.7 8
    For me, the choices tonight couldn’t have been more clear in every match. Maybe it was the Blue Moon.

7. cjroomba says:

Just Like Heaven by The Cure 9.5

9. joe says:

Head Full of Doubt/ Road Full of Promise (The Avett Brothers) 7
    Killer Queen (Queen) 7.5

Get Rhythm (Johnny Cash) 5
    Man on Fire (Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes) 8

Man on Fire has been a perfect song for me these past few weeks. (When I’m not listening to the new Converge disc. You guys want to melt your brains with some hardcore check them out).

Australia (The Shins) 7
    Sir Duke (Stevie Wonder) 6

I’m with Daddy-O there are much better Stevie songs.

Your Love (The Outfield) 5
    Just Like Heaven (The Cure) 8

I didn’t like Your Love in 1986. Nothing has changed for me 20 something years later.

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by The Avett Brothers – 9
    Killer Queen by Queen – 8
    damn you, queen, i’m sick of you dominating these tournaments, and i want to hate you, but i just can’t

Get Rhythm by Johnny Cash – 6
    Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes – 9
    johnny’s pretty boring on this number. man on fire is beautiful and happy and makes me want to dance.

Australia by The Shins – 7
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder – 6.5
    neither of these really resonated with me this time around, slight edge to the shins.

Your Love by The Outfield – 7