Round of 256: Division O, Left Side

knopfler rocks the red white & blueHappy 4th of July!  In honor of Independence Day, I invite you to use your democratic privileges to decide which 4 of these 8 songs will progress to the Round of 128.  Three of these matchups pair an American band against a British band, but don’t let your patriotism bias you too much.  Share your votes and your opinions by commenting below by Wednesday, July 6th at 8 pm Eastern.  You can listen to the songs here.

The #1 seed of this division is believed by some to be a contender for the PCT championship.  “Romeo and Juliet” is one of the British rock band Dire Straits’ biggest hits, despite guitarist (and brother of frontman Mark Knopfler) David Knopfler leaving the band while the band was recording the album on which it is featured.  Challenging Dire Straits is The Association, which is of the “sunshine pop” genre according to Wikipedia, with their hit “Never My Love”, which interestingly enough also came off this band’s third and tumultuously-recorded album.

Next up is music tournament regular Bruce Springsteen, making his 3rd appearance in the PCT, with a lesser-known song “Streets of Fire”Gibson just named Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band the #1 American Rock Band of All Time.  Stepping up to the plate is a “towering pillar of the American indie rock community throughout the early ’90s” (according to allmusic.com) Unrest with the song Cath Carroll – the name of a British indie singer and writer for New Musical Express.

A Tool is a device that is necessary to, or aids in the performance of an operation.  It’s also the name of the band whose song “Schism” won a Grammy for best metal performance in 2001.  In another 4th-appropriate USA/UK matchup, the opponent is a British electronic/soul band Belleruche with recent single “Clockwatching”.

“Sally McLennane”  is a type of stout and one of Irish punk band The Pogues’ earlier hits and best-known songs.  On the opposite end of the musical spectrum, is the Ibiza-club-inspired “Hello Good Morning” from Diddy – Dirty Money.

Happy listening!

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits)
#16 Never My Love (The Association)

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen)
#9 Cath Caroll (Unrest)

#4 Schism (Tool)
#13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche)

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The)
#12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Round of 256: Division O, Left Side

1. Lindsay says:

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) 9
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) 8.5
    I think I promised Guillermo I wouldn’t jinx R&J by giving it a 10, otherwise that’s what it would get. Not only does this song bring back many happy memories, but it is also just a wonderful song — my second favorite Dire Straits song, after “Walk of Life.” But wow, I really like this “Never My Love.” I don’t think I’ve heard it before and my ears just perked right up when the first notes played.

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) 8
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) 5
    I never thought I liked Bruce Springsteen before the PCT. Maybe I do like him after all. And I think maybe I might have liked the Cath Caroll song on different speakers, but I couldn’t really tell for sure. The mixing seemed to be off — the vocals sort of disappear.

#4 Schism (Tool) 4
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) 8
    Blah Tool. This Belleruche song is fun. Thanks, Nominator!!

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) 1.5
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) 8
    I hate that Sally song — I dislike the entire Irish punk genre. I love T.I. A lot.

2. NatalieG says:

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) – 9.5
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) – 6
    How was Romeo and Juliet NOT in the last tournament???

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) – 3.5

#9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) – 4

#4 Schism (Tool) – 2
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) – 4

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) – 6
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) – 7

Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) v. Never My Love (The Association) = 7.5 to 8
    Whoa! This Association song is great. Never heard it before.

Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) v. Cath Caroll (Unrest) = 4 to 10
    Unrest is from an era where ‘indie’ meant pop but didn’t mean wussy, predictable, or lame. Nothing else sounds like this. I vote for an explosion of sound celebrating music itself over the Boss getting wayyy too dramatic. Crank this shit up – it’s summer!!!!

Schism (Tool) v. Clockwatchers (Belleruche) = 6 to 7
    The bassist in Tool always had the best tone. Though, I did this Belleruche tune, reminds me of Moloko/ Roisin Murphy?

Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) v. Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) = 4 to 7
    Yeah, I like T.I. too.

6. #1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) TEN
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) 7

How can you look at me as if I was just another one of your deals always intrigued me. Is Juliet a broker? Is she a used car saleswoman? Or maybe a game show host?

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) 6.8
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) 6.8

Oh no, Bruce! I liked this Cath Carroll song. Somebody else decide this.

#4 Schism (Tool) 5.2
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) 7.7

Nice nomination, never heard this.

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) 4
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) 6

Great match-up. I gotta go with the song that sounds like college.

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) 9.5 [So, final 4?]
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) 6.0 [beatlesque but too sappy]

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) 6.5 [sounds like Waits in the intro.]
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) 6.5

#4 Schism (Tool) 8.4 [Um… when I saw this on the list I was thinking like 2-3 but this song was exactly awesome today.]
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) 9.5 [but then this came on and made me 1.1 points happier.]

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) 8.5 [Rum, Sodom, and the Lash is just an amazing name for an album]
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) 6.5

8. Carrie says:

Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits): 8.5
    Never My Love (The Association): 5

Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen):5.5
    Cath Caroll (Unrest): 3

Schism (Tool): 5
    Clockwatchers (Belleruche): 6.5

Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The): 4
    Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.): 5

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) – 9
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) – 6

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) – 3.5
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) – 5.5
    ok, so i’m generally not a fan of bruce, and as i’ve mentioned in previous tournament comments, i am actively trying to keep an open mind & “get” his music. however, his vocals are nearly intolerable in this song. cath caroll was upbeat but fairly boring.

#4 Schism (Tool) – 3
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) – 7

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) – 6 (pass the whisky!)
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) – 6.5 (pass the shots of… anything?!)

10. I think Carey meant to put this vote here as opposed to on the Yoshimi Pink Robots post that expired last night:

careyodonnell says:
    July 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm (Edit)

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits): 5

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) – 6.0
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) – 4.0

#4 Schism (Tool) – 5.0
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) – 7.0

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) – 3.0
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) – 6.0

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) – 9.0 Terrific! Knopfler fan w/ and w/o The Straits
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) – 6.5 Great song! 20+ years ago. But not into the nostalgia tonight.

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) – 5.5 Still not a Boss fan and his screaming doesn’t help.
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) – 3.5 Noise would be an apt description of this track.

#4 Schism (Tool) – 4.5 More noise!
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) – 6.0 Not my style. OK but not a potential download.

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) – 6.5 Sounds like an Irish GBS but the Newfies are better at this.
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) – 3.0

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits): 9
    #16 Never My Love (The Association): 7
    Ah, Romeo and Juliet is so great. Godspeed you, awesome song. Never heard The Association before but really liked it. Shame it’s up against Romeo: not a chance.

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen): 5.5
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest): 2
    Not into this one so much, Brucie. You’re better than Unrest though. Horrible ‘song’.

#4 Schism (Tool): 6
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche): 5.5
    Wow, Tool is in the tournament! Nice bit of face-meltage mixed with some pained mettaly emo vibes. Or noise, to some. I’m kind of into it. Agree with Adam on the Roisin Murphy resemblance on Clockwaters. The bass is great.

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The): 2
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.): 6
    Pogues should have stopped with Fairytale of New York – that is fantastic. This hurts and makes me cringe. Listen only with real Irish people. In Ireland. Otherwise totally weird. It think PDiddy is a tit but I was horrified to find myself kind of into this.

14. Isabel says:

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) – 7
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) – 7

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) – 6
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) – 7

#4 Schism (Tool) – 6
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) – 7.5

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) – 6
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) – 7

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits): 9
    #16 Never My Love (The Association): 6
    Love Romeo and Juliet, almost nominated it. Am a little thrown off by “When we made love/ you used to cry.” Never been in a relationship when that happened, it sounds unhealthy.

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen): 5
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest): 4
    The lowest score I’ve given Bruce in either tournament. Meanwhile, I don’t know how allmusic.com came up with that line about Unrest, but it is a pretty 90s indie rock sound. There were a lot of better 90s indie rock bands though.

#4 Schism (Tool): 4
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche): 6.7

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The): 7.2
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.): 5
    I liked that both of these lyrically dealt with the morning. As a 7:30am listener, have to go with the Pogues.

Quick vote from the road during a lunch stop in Lovelock, NV.

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) 10
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) 7.7
    Tough match up for Never My Love, such a sweet song. But it doesn’t have the depth of Dire Straights. God, that guitar.

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) 6
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) 4

#4 Schism (Tool) 6.5
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) 9.5
    Clockwatchers is my final nomination. I heard it maybe six months ago and I don’t have a big personal connection to it, it just always gets my butt shaking. Their video for their song Fuzz Face is super cool. It’s made entirely from photocopies. let’s see of this works;

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) 8
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) 9.5
    I love a good jig, but this diddy tune was awesome! Thanks for nominating it.

17. chris roomba says:

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits): 10
    #16 Never My Love (The Association): 5

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen): 6
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest): 5

#4 Schism (Tool): 4
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche): 4.5

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The): 5
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.): 5.25

18. asf says:

Romeo and Juliet – 7.8 –

Never My Love – 7.5 – This is a nice song, I sort of know it but not really.

Streets of Fire – 7.3 –

Cath Carroll – 7.9 – Never heard this song (or band) before. Me gusta.

Schism – 7 – A bit repetitive, but I like it.

Clockwatching – 7.3 –

Sally Mac – 7.5 –

Hello Good Morning – 6.5 –

19. Anne S. says:

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) 8 (extra .5 bonus for always reminding me of empire records)
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) 7 fun song

#9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) 6

#4 Schism (Tool) 7
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) 6

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) 6
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) 4.5

22. Maureen says:

Voting solo today – no cold wind of fury from Chicago tonight, sorry ’bout that! 🙂

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) – 9.5
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) – 6.5
    I love pretty much every version of Romeo and Juliet – but especially this one. Just soooo good. I hadn’t heard The Association song before, but definitely enjoyed it.

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) – 6
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) – 5
    I normally am totally in love with whatever The Boss does…but I just wasn’t super into this one. Still good, but not true love. Didn’t mind Cath Caroll…but might not seek it out to listen to it again.

#4 Schism (Tool) – 4.5
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) – 8
    Ooh. Well, hello there Belleruche. Let’s be friends. You seem lovely.

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) – 9
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) – 8
    True story: my dad is in an Irish band. He makes his living as an orthopedic surgeon, but loves all things Irish, so he and a few other doctor friends started a band – and they play gigs all over Chicago during St. Patrick’s Day season. Which, of course, lasts for months. Hence, The Pogues are a sound that I will always love. BUT. Hello Good Morning just came in like whoa and started an impromptu dance party (solo – extra points for that). Tough match-up…. sigh. Welp, I went with The Pogues, but I won’t be super disappointed if HGM advances.

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) 5
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) 6

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) 6
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) 5

#4 Schism (Tool) 4
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) 5

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) 9.5
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) 4

24. dj roomba says:

#1 Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) – 8
    #16 Never My Love (The Association) – 7.3
    Yes please to both of these songs.

#8 Streets Of Fire (Bruce Springsteen) – 3.5
    #9 Cath Caroll (Unrest) – 5
    I could pretty much case less about Bruce Springsteen. Not sure yet about Unrest so I am giving it a 5, why not?

#4 Schism (Tool) – 3
    #13 Clockwatchers (Belleruche) – 5
    Meh to both. But Belleruche picked it up enough to get 2 whole points higher. It’s catchy.

#5 Sally MacLennane (Pogues, The) – 1
    #12 Hello Good Morning (Diddy – Dirty Money feat. T.I.) – 6
    No no no no to Irish jigs. I had a coworker who used to set up his Celtic Music/ Flogging Mollies/whatever other Irish bands there are mixes on our company Pandora station. So I listened to this stuff all day long for 6 months and it gets old. I even used to try to change the channel secretly via an iPhone app, but he’d always catch on and switch it back when I’d leave to go to the bathroom. So this is basically my personal music hell. Diddy was very welcome after flashbacks of that, despite the fact it’s a stupid song.