Round of 256: Division B, Left Side

It’s nice to be back at the helm for the first time this tournament.  Big thank you to Lindsay for posting on Friday- we’ll welcome such help throughout the tournament.

On to Division B.  This is simply a fun set of songs.  Listen to all the matchups on Grooveshark, and vote by commenting below or emailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com by 8pm on Tuesday.

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) vs. #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin).  Let’s be real- McLaughlin won her play-in with one of the lowest scores ever recorded by a winner. Toots is a heavy favorite.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament)   vs.   #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) Can’t get much more fun this.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) vs. #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party)  Two songs that almost made the last tournament.  Clint Eastwood comes courtesy of a voter from the Marshall Islands.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) vs. #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette)   Jagged Little Pill has an incredibly deep bench, and tonight we’ll here from one of it’s less radio-played tracks.

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Round of 256: Division B, Left Side

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 3
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 2
    Not a fan of funky toots. Angel was really the worst song I could listen to while working the last final I will ever have to take. Ugh

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 3.5
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 3
    Jeez…I think Progenitor rubbed off on my scores today 🙂

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 7
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 7.5
    That’s better 🙂

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 8
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 5.5
    Really digging this one. Good call Adrock. I thought I was going to hate the Alanis song from the first minute or two, but not bad after all.

2. zd says:

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) – 6
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) – 4
    I’m slightly underwhelmed here. How are seeds selected exactly? From Janos’ post earlier this week after LCD’s fall, it would seem the seed numbers are strategically selected by the nominator…?

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) – 8.5
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) – 6
    Can You Get To That – lots of funky flavors here. loved the deep booming voice, “I wanna know”
    Looking for a Kiss – singing strongly reminded me of Hendrix

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) – 7
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) – 7.5
    Clint Eastwood brings back so many memories from long ago.
    This Modern Love made me want to move my body, and for that I rewarded it with a half point edge.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) – 5
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) – 7.5
    Alanis sings with a level of emotion that is very difficult to top. Yankee Sailor was OK.

• Danno says:

Yeah, it depends on the nominator. People who previously participate in the tournament had multiple nominations and were asked to rank their nominations for seeding purposes. So any of the 1 seeds are likely the number one choice from someone who participated in the last tournament. At the same time I think most of the new people were automatically given low seeds like 16. In reality I don’t think the whole seeding system really stacks up to what you would expect in say an NCAA racket where a 1 seed is almost definitely better than a 16 because most of the 16s in this tournament were the sole choice (i.e. best song) chosen by newbies.

• Danno says:

actually, this earlier post has a description with some more specifics:

3. I can and will get to that says:

1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 7 vs. #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 1. I refuse to listen to Angel again. Apparently grooveshark felt my pain because it had the wrong song up.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 10 vs. #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 5 I like the NY Dolls, but I would have nominated Can You Get to That myself if someone hadn’t stepped up. I think this song could easily qualify as the most underrated, underplayed song of all time. Why isn’t this a classic? I’m sorry it has to go against the Dolls though.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 6 vs. #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 5
    Why is that song killed Clint Eastwood?

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 2 vs. #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 4
    The Yankee Sailor did not make me think America looked beautiful tonight.

1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) vs. #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 7/0.5
    Funky is a great way to start the week! Sarah M has a lovely voice, but Angel makes me want to die and not in a good way. It is the worst kind of ballad, plus it only reminds me of bad things — the funeral of a high school friend, that sad dog commercial, tragedy, devastation, and that terrible Nicolas Cage/Meg Ryan movie, etc. It kind of makes me want to Sylvia Plath myself.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) vs. #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 7/8
    This match-up was another great one for a Monday morning. I should listen to these songs every time my tailfeathers are draggy.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) vs. #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 4/8
    I don’t “get” the Gorillaz. I like the parts that aren’t weird rap-ish interludes. When that guy starts rapping, I want to listen to something else. Pandora has been playing This Modern Love for me pretty often lately. Good stuff.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) vs. #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 6/7.8
    Yankee Sailor is pleasant. And Forgiven was a staple of my angsty teenage years. I’m so glad those years are over but this song is a great reminder.

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 5
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 4.2

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 6.9
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 9.8

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 7.6
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 5

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 8.1
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 4.9

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 2.5
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 4

Toots is just not the kind of tune that gets me going and, while I like the funkiness, I really find the song annoying. Yes, yes, hate on McGlaughlin but I did actually prefer it to Funky.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 3.5
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 4

Parliament track didn’t grab me (sounds like the goblin song from David Bowie’s ‘Labyrinth’); Looking for a Kiss felt a little stronger.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 6.5
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 8

Now we’re talking…
    I really like Clint Eastwood and think it’s one of Gorillaz’ best…I remember finding it ruthlessly addictive but wasn’t loving it this morning. Surprisingly though, Modern Love takes this for me…really loved it today. I think it’s a shame Bloc Party aren’t better-known outside of the UK.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 4
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 9

I should start by saying that Forgiven is my favourite track on Jagged Little Pill…totally stoked that someone nominated it: I’m not sure it was ever released as a single but in any case, it seemed to have got a bit lost, buried under ‘Ironic’ 😦
    I think it bubbles with this angsty brilliance…probably not cool to say this out loud but I really think it’s a fantastic song. Yankee Sailor is way too cheesy for me.

7. brian says:

I didn’t vote for my baby, “Spirit in the Sky” and it lost to “Home.” I don’t even have the consolation of it losing to a worthy opponent, but it’s my own fault for ignoring the computer this weekend.

Funky Kingston: 6, fun, but… it gets a bit trying by 2min (good song in the background of a party or something, though)
    In the Arms: 2.5, no comment (other than… I am not anti-slow songs or even Sarah McL – I def like a lot of her songs… NOT THIS’N, though!)

Can You Get: 6
    Looking for a Kiss: 6.5

Clint: 9, Love this song. Slick, cool, Deltron’s verse if a hard shift, but it doesn’t feel jarring. Good times.
    This Modern Love: 7, Powerful, upbeat, stirring. Well done, but not mind-blowing. Doesn’t step into true greatness.

Yankee: 2, Awful. Cringe-inducing from the lyrics to the… is that a flute? Ugh, shut up.
    Forgiven: 4, bad, but not painful. I was able to finish it and i def have a soft-spot for Alanis. Used to be super into her stuff.

Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 9.4
    Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 2
    Full disclosure: Funky Kingston was my nomination. I definitely wanted to nominate some Toots, and I thought this his most accessible song. I actually prefer some of his other tunes like Reggae Got Soul, 54-46, or Pressure Drop, but I don’t think anything he’s ever recorded is as unlistenable as Angel.

Can You Get To That (Parliament) 9.2
    Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 7.7
    Yeah! More funk! Please, East Coast Hipsters, don’t vote out all the good funk and hip hop because its not whiny alt-rock…
    Liked Looking for a Kiss, fun retro sound. Not quite up there with P-funk.

Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 8.9
    This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 3
    Man, Del the Funkee Homosapien knows how to spit some lyrics. For some reason he brings it more for collaborations like Souls of Mischief, Deltron and Gorillaz than on his solo stuff…
    This Modern Love had to be skipped.

Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 6.8
    Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 6.9
    Yankee Sailor is a pretty sweet little song. The Braveheart flute and African Drums are fun. It kinda wore on me towards the end though, a bit repetitive.

Forgiven is an intense song. Not crazy about it, but felt like it should get the edge to Yankee Sailor…

9. #1 Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) 6.5
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 4

The fact that eight votes in I’m the first one to point out that its spelled McLachlan as in the singer, not the report, is not a good sign for Sarah.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 8
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 6.5

Parliament falls into that “you haven’t lived until you’ve seen it live” category. And unfortunately I just found out that Diaperman passed away last year- bummer. But even being a live show band/movement/whatever it is, this works on its own too.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 8.8
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 7.9

Tough match. Much to like on both of these. gorillaz, that’s where i’m at this week. also for y’all that don’t know much about the Gorillaz or that they are a made-up band, watch a video and be strangely intrigued.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 7
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 7

Alanis surprised me here. Remember when she made Ben Affleck’s head explode in Dogma? I can’t decide here, someone else do this.

10. GGT says:

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 6.5
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 8.1

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 8.4
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 4.5

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 6.5
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 7.1

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 5.5
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 6.4

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 6
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 2.5

Funky is good. No question. But for some reason (I didn’t really get the lyrics at all, though that is probably all me) it was Parliament-level awesome funk. Looking forward to hearing it again – maybe more relaxed its an 8, but for now it can crush Sarah. Angel is a gorgeous and chilling song. Unfortunately, I’m tense and againsty. I want to go John Belushi in Animal House with a guitar to her head right now. I apologize to whoever nominated it, because it deserves better… but it’s lousy timing.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 6
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 5.3

Falling much the same way Toots fell (despite my love for Parliament generally), the funkiness was nice… but not overwhelming. I now long for Aqua Boogie or Bop Gun. Looking for a Kiss felt like it should have had more energy and more edge. It was missing a hook and a great verse from a 7 or so.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 7.2
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 6.5

I couldn’t explain why I really like Clint Eastwood, but I definitely do. AS for Bloc Party, I spent the entire song convinced it was going to be something else which I knew. In the end it wasn’t… so it gets good warm feelings for being something likeable, but it didn’t feel original… it felt just like something else…only I have no idea what the song is – for all I know its another song by Bloc Party. I give up.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 9
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 5
    So Yankee Sailor lost a point because its a bunch of Canadians singning, and after Saturday’s Game 2 disaster in Vancouver, I HATE HATE HATE Canadians. For what it’s worth, the scenario here is pretty personal for me (though not with a sailor), but there’s something about the line “He stood tall and shook my hand/he took pleasure in the moment, in the measure of the man” that gets me – truly wish the prick in my story had done that (though I’m picturing more like a duel in Highlander)… but of course not, life isn’t a song.

Alanis was in trouble because her voice causes me problems, but she sings with incredible passion and edge, and I can’t help but want to listen to more, even if her voice causes me bad chills like nails across a chalkboard at times.

12. Carrie says:

Funky (Toots and the Maytals): 3
    Angel (Sarah McLaughlin): 3

Can You Get To That (Parliament): 3.5
    Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls): 1

Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz): 8
    This Modern Love (Bloc Party): 8

Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea): 7
    Forgiven (Alanis Morissette): 5.5

#1 Toots: 6 Nick, for the record, we did have Pressure Drop in the last tourney. And that’s a song I like better than this- still fun though.
    #16 Sarah: 4.5 I may have overblown my dislike of this song. It’s not “that” bad.

#8 Parliament: 6.5
    #9: Dollz: 7.8

#4 Sunshine In a Bag: 8.7 Special place in my heart for Clint Eastwood- my vocal on this song is the highest score I’ve ever gotten on “Rock Band”. Speaking of which, if we have a Peoples Choice Tournament house party, it pretty much has to be at a venue with “Rock Band.”
    #13: Bloc Party: 6

#5: Adrock’s Curious Tune: 6.6 Was torn between giving this a 4.5 and an 8.5.
    #12: Alanis and the Pills: 7.2 Would give this a higher score if I knew what she was talking about.

My friend Nicholas is visiting and voting as well. Votes: Me/Nicholas

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 4/5
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 2.5/3
    Angel would sound better speeded up to 45 RPM.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 5/6.5
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 6/4
    I don’t know if I think the New York Dolls are “good” exactly, but they sure are cool.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 6/6.5
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 7/7
    Clint Eastwood inspired a conversation about the merits of the melodica. We decided it’s generally a good sound, and works with this song. If that is indeed a melodica.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 5/5.5
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 6/6
    This Yankee Sailor song inspired a lot of ambivalence in us… on the one hand, it does kind of sound like a song from Pocahontas. On the other hand, it has some elements that are interesting. Forgiven has less right with it and less wrong with it… so it eked out a slightly higher score from both of us.

Funky (Toots and the Maytals): 9. [Just finished a final. This song feels fantastic.]
    Angel (Sarah McLaughlin): 3 [ As I stated in the last post, Saving DMC’s life is awesome and gets points, but this song just doesn’t move me, although she does have a great voice.]

Can You Get To That (Parliament): 7.5 [one of the greatest albums ever].
    Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls): 6.0

Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz): 5.5 [starts off strong and fades off]
    This Modern Love (Bloc Party): 8.5 [forgot this song existed. Glad someone put it in here.]

Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea): 2.0 [Celtic-influenced Folky songs about sailing should be exactly up my ally, but there’s something too polished and cheesy about this for my tastes. In other words, gimmie the Pogues.]
    Forgiven (Alanis Morissette): 4.0 [win by default].

Funky Kingston – 3.0 vs Angel 5.0

Can You Get to That – 7.5 vs Looking for a Kiss – 5.0 —surprised me on this one; really enjoyed Parliament/Funkadelics

Clint Eastwood – 6.5 vs This Modern Love – 5.0

Yankee Sailor – 6.0 vs Forgiven – 2.0 —-one word – “Painful”

Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 4
    Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 6

Can You Get To That (Parliament) 5
    Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 4

Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 7
    This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 5

Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 8.5
    Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 4

18. dj roomba says:

#1 Funky Kingston (Toots & The Maytals) -2
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLachlan) – 2
    I didn’t know which one to score higher because honestly I don’t care to hear either of these again.

#8 Can You Get to That (Funkadelic) – 2
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) – 2
    I think I have the case of the Mondays.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) – 8
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) – 7
    Clint Eastwood was one of 5 music videos they played on a loop at my college campus’s gym (or so I recall from the one semester I was a dedicated gym-goer). I have the sudden urge to jump on an elliptical machine. This Modern Love is one of those songs on my iPod I never think about but am always glad to hear when it crops up.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) – 5
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) – 5
    Yankee Sailor- well, I didn’t hate it. I might have even liked it. But I am really not sure. [Side note: whenever I see a song title with “sailor” in it, I immediately think of my 4th grade class’ rendition of “Drunken Sailor” – to this day I am not sure how that was at all appropriate for an elementary school chorus concert.] I have to give Alanis a 5 because being that Jagged Little Pill was one of the 10 cds I owned pre-college (I made a lot of awesome mix tapes off of the radio…?), she deserves some credit. However, this sounded extra whiny to me tonight. Redeeming 3-seconds were the “hallelujahs” from 1:38-1:40.

Funky Kingston – 4.5 and Angel – 5.0 – Funky opens up fun and catchy and this music is usually OK with me but the sound and rhythms never seem to go anywhere and the lyrics were frequently garbled which in not one of my favorite things in any music; Sarah – beautiful voice but the song is not particularly uplifting and the tempo was slower than a hearse in a funeral cortege; I’ve heard this track done by others and it needn’t be this slow.

Can You Get to That – 6.5 and Looking for a Kiss – 4.5 – Surprise, Surprise!! I enjoyed this one (Can You) and actually listened a second time; fun, funky, different. Looking for a Kiss – music overpowered the lyrics and had to strain to listen; takes away whatever pleasure that might have been given; in this case it would have been better as an instrumental.

Clint Eastwood – 5.0 and This Modern Love – 5.0 – This pair was a tossup. Clint’s occasional choruses helped break up the flow and make the track more listenable, and good beat but not great; and where was Clint? Modern Love was just blah.

Yankee Sailor – 7.0 and Forgiven – 1.5 I am generally a Great Big Sea fan but this would not be at the top of my list. Maybe needs a few more plays and will pick up. But no contest on this one. This one went from bad to worse. The opening was awful and then the track just became painful. Maybe things picked up later but.. guess what? the beginning sucked and didn’t deserve a longer listen.

Have a nice day!!

#13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) [8]

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) [2.5]
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) [4]

23. Matt B says:

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) [5]
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) [1]
    – I don’t think I could have liked Sarah’s song much less than I did.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) [5]
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) [6.5]
    – Relatively close. Didn’t even know I liked the NY Dolls.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) [4]
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) [8]
    – Gorillaz sounded very dated. I still love a few Bloc Party songs and this is one of them.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) [2.5]
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) [6]
    – Not a fan of Alan Doyle and the Great Big Sea. Alanis sounded good, even if not as good as I remembered. Maybe it’s because I’m no longer an angsty teenager?

24. colincolinhunt says:

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) vs. #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 6:3

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) vs. #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 6.5:7

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) vs. #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 7.5:9 Tough draw for Bloc Party. Both are great songs. I think Janos voted for Gorillaz because I didn’t pick LCD in the last round. I am considering this a declaration of war.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) vs. #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 4:5

funky kingston – 7 (toots is always fun)
    angel – 4 (didn’t hate it as much as expected… it is a rather pretty song after all, but i was ready for it to be over after 2 min & i’m ok with not hearing it again for the rest of the tourney)

can you get to that – 9 (yes!!)
    looking for a kiss – 6 (maybe?)

clint eastwood – 8 (great song, but it drags… i think the length will hurt it going forward in the tourney)
    this modern love – 7
    both are solid songs but a tad repetitive

yankee sailor – 4 (so, i like the idea here – the celtic flair, or rather the newfoundland flair, but i wish they went with more of a traditional folksy sound instead of gravitating toward generic soft rock)
    forgiven – 2 (i dont think i’ve listened to this album in 14 years, and i barely even remember this song, and i’ve been totally ok with that)

26. Margot says:

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) 2
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) 2

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) 7
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 3

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) 6
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 6

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) 6.4
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 7.3

27. Jack says:

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals) vs. #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin). 6/0.5

Funky is … funky. Might grow on me. Angel gets half a point since I’m not watching sad puppies while listening to it.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament) vs. #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) 8/6
    The New York Dolls were a big deal but they were a big deal for the sound they basically invented, rather than their song writing. And since the sound they invented has been done again and again a million times since they just aren’t that special. Solid, even great pfunk track. The juxtaposition of the low and high vocals always does it for me.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) vs. #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party) 8.5/

This must be the album version which I never heard- I really like this long outro with the sparse synth horn on top of the beat. Made this listen a lot more interesting than the single version would of been. Bloc Party takes me back to freshmen year of college- for people who like this song all of Silent Alarm is really solid. 7.5

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) vs. #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) 2/6
    I really don’t like Yankee Sailor. It’s like a country song done as a sea dirge with bag pipes. I can barely get through it. Alanis is Alanis.

Funky Kingston (Toots and the Maytals) v Angel (Sarah McLaughlin) = 5 to 2
    I’m a toots fan like most people, but this one doesn’t go very far.

Can You Get To That (Parliament) v Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls) = 6.5 to 3
    Ah this is the tune that sleigh bells sampled. I thought that was the most incredible song, until I learned that the best part about it is the great sample. Yes, the singer’s vocal over the sample is nice, but anyway, a lot going on with this Parliment tune. Never really listened to Parliment much so happy to learn more.

Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz) v This Modern Love (Bloc Party) = 4 to 3
    I am a huge early Blur fan, and I am also a big fan Damon Albarn trying new things for a very long time. That being said, he can write some really boring, really lazy songs. Even when he’s singing, it sounds like he’s falling asleep.
    Except for “I Still Remember” (great song) I feel the same way about Bloc Party, except for the good early albums and trying new things part.

Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea) v Forgiven (Alanis Morissette) = 3 to 3.5
    I’ll admit that Alanis has some decent tunes so i’m not being indiscriminate about this

29. Anne S. says:

Funky – 2.5
    Angel – 4
    While I’m sick of it, there’s something to be said for a song that resonated with so many different people and Sarah McLACHLAN’s voice is beautiful. Especially in comparison to a song that lost me after a minute and a half.

Can you get to that – 6
    Looking for a kiss – 3.5 — Never been much of a dolls fan.

Clint Eastwood – 7.5
    This Modern Love – 8
    Why are the best songs in this tournament always up against each other?? Both great songs, have a slight nostalgic leaning towards Bloc Party.

Yankee Sailor – 3
    Forgiven – 6
    I like what Yankee Sailor wants to be, but can’t get over how cheesy it is (which I could overlook if it was actually trying to be cheesy). Not my favorite Alanis song by far, but she gets an extra point for intensity.

30. BDay says:

Funky – 4
    Angel – 3.5

Can you get – 4
    Looking for a Kiss – 1

Clint Eastwood – 6
    Modern Love – 4

Yankee Sailor – 2
    Forgiven – 5

31. Liz says:

#1 Funky (Toots and the Maytals): I can imagine rocking out to this with a lot of alcohol in a dive bar. In this scene, I’m very drunk. 4.
    #16 Angel (Sarah McLaughlin): I can imagine maybe being at a funeral with this song. It’s pretty, I guess. 2.

#8 Can You Get To That (Parliament): 3.5. It’s getting the extra half-point for the bass line talking about “insufficient funds.”
    #9 Looking for a Kiss (New York Dolls): 3. It’s not getting the extra half-point for that terrible kissing sound at the end.

#4 Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz): Such a relief after the first four songs…it might be getting an extra boost 🙂 7.
    #13 This Modern Love (Bloc Party): This song really caught my attention midway through as it sped up. Liked it better and better. 8.

#5 Yankee Sailor (Great Big Sea): 8
    #12 Forgiven (Alanis Morissette): 7 Sorry, Alanis. You’d upset either of the first two matches.