Living The Dream Music Tournament: Round of 128, Division I

Stories of Divsion I: Well, first off, story of why I’m still posting- Nos is swamped (apparently being a lawyer is a lot of work) so one more day until he’s back in the author’s seat. In the meantime, I don’t mind doing this division, some of my favorites are sandwiched here. In our featured match-up, lone surviving Pink Floyd song “Another Brick In The Wall” tries to claim the third 1 seed upset of the tourney against Blood On The Tracks lead-off tune, “Tangled Up In Blue.” Bob Dylan is sitting at 1-2; this is his last song of the Round of 128 and only post-Highway 61 Revisited track to make it this far.

Other stories: The Beatles and Michael Jackson may be forever linked to those of us annoyed by our inability last decade to download any of the former on iTunes due to the latter’s ownership of publishing rights (MJ actually left those to McCartney in his will, which is why we can buy them now.) They can duke out any bad blood here: A Day In The Life faces off against Thriller. The always polarizing Bruce Springsteen claimed the only Division I Round of 256 upset last round, and will try to continue to do so versus The Prince of Soul himself. And finally, Eric Clapton is still alive with 3 seed ode to Pattie Boyd (awwwwwkward) up against Petty’s story of driving aimlessly around Los Angeles County- I have a feeling piano patience is going to play a big part in this pairing, this deep into the tourney.

Grooveshark link is here except for Another Brick In The Wall and A Day In The Life (figuring out which version of ABITW to use is sort of a headache, but we’re using the same YouTube links we used last round) Vote by commenting on this post or by e-mailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com. Votes are due by Friday evening at 8 pm.

#1 Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) vs. #8 Another Brick In The Wall (Pink Floyd)

#4 A Day In The Life (The Beatles) vs. #5 Thriller (Michael Jackson)

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) vs. #10 Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen)

#3 Layla (Derek & The Dominoes) vs. #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Living The Dream Music Tournament: Round of 128, Division I

#5 Thriller (Michael Jackson) 8

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 6.5
    #10 Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen) 7.1

#3 Layla (Derek & The Dominoes) 9.7
    #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 7

3. Albert Hall says:

1 Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) 9 vs. #8 Another Brick In The Wall (Pink Floyd) 6

#4 A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 10 vs. #5 Thriller (Michael Jackson) 7

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 7 vs. #10 Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen) 9

#3 Layla (Derek & The Dominoes) 7 vs. #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 10

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) 9 [Dylan’s best short story song. bonus for rhyming employed Delacroix.
    Another Brick In The Wall (Pink Floyd) 5.5

A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 8.5
    Thriller (Michael Jackson) 3.5

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 4.5
    Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen) 6

Layla (Derek & The Dominoes) 4 (great and then it won’t stop with the pianos…. just won’t.)
    Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 8.5

A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 7
    Thriller (Michael Jackson) 7.5

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 7.2
    Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen) 7.6

Layla (Derek & The Dominoes) 5
    Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 6.8

I’m pretty sure every extra minute with the pianos at the end dropped Layla’s score a point…

9. guillermo olivos says:

Tangled Up In Blue 9.7
    Another Brick In The Wall 6

In the last couple years, I’ve realized that each of the 7 verses of TUIB resonates with my memory of a different woman from the last 10 years. And while I am definitively still heading for another joint, this interpretation has only solidified my consistently stalwart and fond affection for this song.

A Day In The Life 6
    Thriller 6.66 (I couldn’t help myself)

I Heard It Through The Grapevine 8.8 (like a dagger)
    Born In The USA 8.5 (Bruce, forgive me- I gotta go Marvin on this one.)

Layla 6.25
    Free Fallin’ 7

Good trivia I just discovered: Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers is playing the second lead guitar alongside Eric Clapton- I have no idea why we never called attention to this. Oh right, because I was too distracted by trying to find words to describe the goddamn piano.

• janos marton says:

This is fairly well known trivia, Doc.
      Sorry to be harsh, but just read “Brainiac” by Ken Jennings, a truly excellent book, so perhaps my trivia standards have been temporarily raised.

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) -4.7

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) [5.5]
    #10 Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen) [9.25]

#3 Layla (Derek & The Dominoes) [7]
    #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) [8]

tangled up in blue – 8
    another brick in the wall – 5
    re TUIB: i can’t tell you exactly why i like it. i’m not a lyrics person at all. i simply don’t have the attention span to listen to all those words. but there’s soul, emotion, pleasant intstrumentation. and it brings me back to a wonderful evening at the inn at the long trail involving an impromptu jam session/singalong, some whisky on the rocks, and a couple great guys that were my best friends for a week & i may never see again.
    re ABITW: it’s a classic good song, but i’m kind of over it.

a day in the life – 9 <– i was unexpectedly not feeling this one so much in the earlier rounds, but today it was just right
    thriller – 3 <– i don't really feel like listening to this one in subsequent rounds

i heard it through the grapevine – 5
    born in the usa – 2.5
    i honestly don't care which one of these advances. i really thought i'd give bruce a 5 or so, but golly, that song annoyed me. (i have no idea why i'm so grumpy on a sunny friday afternoon with a fun weekend just hours away!)

layla – 5.5
    free fallin – 7.5 <– mood improvement, ha

#1 Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) 8.8
    #8 Another Brick In The Wall (Pink Floyd) 7

#4 A Day In The Life (The Beatles) 9.5
    #5 Thriller (Michael Jackson) 8
    “Although the holes were rather small, they had to count them all” = life as lawyer

#2 I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) 7.2
    #10 Born In The USA (Bruce Springsteen) 7.4

#3 Layla (Derek & The Dominoes) 8
    #6 Free Fallin’ (Tom Petty) 7
    I actually prefer the piano part.

15. GGT says: