Living The Dream Music Tournament: Round of 128, Division H

Stories of Division H: And his name was Marshall Mathers. Much like Superstition’s 8 seed in Division B, ever since we went to division seedings Lose Yourself hasn’t been acting like it knows it’s an 11 seed. After posting a ridonkulous 8.26 average in the Round of 256 (tops for Division H, 8th highest of all 256 songs) Eminem seeks continuing giant-slayer success. Paul, John, George, and Ringo will try their best to Work It Out, if “it” refers to putting a halt to the real Slim Shady.

Other stories: 1 seed “Baba O’Riley” tries to lay down a teenage wasteland of trouble to Sam Cooke’s insistant stance that love makes it ok to ignore one’s studies. Tom Petty lines up against The Cars in a battle of late 70s sound that blazed a new direction for rock. And finally, Paul Simon wants to call Green Day his bodyguard, but Billy Joe and the boys really just want someone to listen to them whine.

Grooveshark link is here except for We Can Work It Out– vote by commenting on this post or by e-mailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com, votes are due by Thursday evening at 8 pm. Starting tomorrow night, Janos is tagging in to take us through the rest of the Round of 128, so I’ll see y’all in a week when we start the Six Four. Keep voting and tell yo friends!

#1 Baba O’Riley (The Who) vs. #8 (What A) Wonderful World (Sam Cooke)

#4 You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) vs. #12 Basket Case (Green Day)

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) vs. #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Living The Dream Music Tournament: Round of 128, Division H

#12 Basket Case (Green Day) 4.1

#2 American Girl (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) 6.3
    #7 Just What I Needed (The Cars) 4.8

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) 7.5
    #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem) 10

#1 Baba O’Riley (The Who) vs. #8 (What A) Wonderful World (Sam Cooke) 2/10
    This tournament kills my soul sometimes! Against any other song, I’d give The Who an 8, easy.

#4 You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) vs. #12 Basket Case (Green Day) 7.5/6

#2 American Girl (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) vs. #7 Just What I Needed (The Cars) 8/8.5

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) vs. #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem) 8.5/3

To crib Guillermo’s style, my context voting for today is that I am exhausted. I’m listening to these songs with cynically low energy and depleted reserves of empathy. And honestly I cringed a little when I saw the line up. This could be harsh.

Baba O’Riley (The Who) 7.5
    (What A) Wonderful World (Sam Cooke) 4
    My exhaustion stems from teaching, so I am not especially appreciative of this Sam Cooke song at this particular moment in my life. Screw love, maybe if you did your homework you wouldn’t suck at all those things, you lazy bastard.

You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) 2
    Basket Case (Green Day) 4.5
    YCCMA is just so 80s. And it’s the bad 80s.

American Girl (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) 4
    Just What I Needed (The Cars) 7.5
    This might be my last chance to make a “That song was just I needed” comment. Unfortunately it’s not really true. I mean, I like the song a lot, it just wasn’t Perfection or anything.

We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) 4.5
    Lose Yourself (Eminem) 8

5. virgil102 says:

Baba O’Reily 8.5 Wonderful World 4
    You can call me Al 5 Basketcase 6.5
    American Girl 6 Just What I needed 7
    We can Work it out 6 Lose yourself 9.4

Baba O’Riley (The Who) 7
    (What A) Wonderful World (Sam Cooke) 4

#4 You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) 6
    #12 Basket Case (Green Day) 2 (Welcome to the 3rd round; the nostalgia’s gone.)

#2 American Girl (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) 6.5
    #7 Just What I Needed (The Cars) 7

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles)
    #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem)

Baba O’Riley (The Who) ~ 8.7

#7 Just What I Needed (The Cars) 8.6

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) 6.7
    #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem) 8.3

10. guillermo olivos says:

Baba O’Riley 7.8
    What a Wonderful World 7

Who at a 8.75 until the last 60 seconds. Sam Cooke- making it ok for cute smart girls to date lazy, dumb guys since 1960.

You Can Call Me Al 7.1
    Basket Case 5.5

You know, lyrically YCCMA isn’t bad. Basket Case is what it is.

American Girl 6.7
    Just What I Needed 7.9

Soft spot for JWIN.

We Can Work It Out 5
    Lose Yourself 10

Lose Yourself reminds me of every disappointment of my life, and then convinces me to believe beyond it. Still at a 10 for me. The Beatles sound like Pre-K Sunday School in comparison.

11. bessaface says:

#4 You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) 7.4
    #12 Basket Case (Green Day) 7.8

#2 American Girl (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) 7
    #7 Just What I Needed (The Cars) 7.5

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) 7.5
    #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem) 9

My highschool glory days consists of my #5 seed soccer team beating the #1 team in the semifinals of the Western Mass Tournament during my senior year. We were up 2-1 when the refs gave them a bs direct kick right outside the box that they scored on to tie it up. Since Lose Yourself was popular that year, my team came together and all sang it before taking the field for OT and a few minutes later we scored to win. Definitely one of the best memories for me and the song brings back the awesomeness of it.

13. Baba says:

#1 Baba O’Riley (The Who) 8 vs. #8 (What A) Wonderful World (Sam Cooke) 7

#4 You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) 6 vs. #12 Basket Case (Green Day) 1

#2 American Girl (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) 9 vs. #7 Just What I Needed (The Cars) 6

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) 6 vs. #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem) 7

#2 American Girl (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) [8.25]
    #7 Just What I Needed (The Cars) [6.75]

#3 We Can Work It Out (The Beatles) [7.5]
    #11 Lose Yourself (Eminem) [8.25]

baba o’riley – 7
    what a wonderful world – 3

you can call me al – 4.5 (this guy’s got a new album, eh?)
    basket case – 6

american girl – 9
    just what i needed – 6

we can work it out – 9.5
    lose yourself – 6.7
    happy beats angry today. i’ve had a soft spot for wcwio ever since seeing crooked still do an awesome cover.

1 Baba O’Riley (The Who) 8.8