LTDMT 256: Division L, Day 2

Lotta storylines for these match-ups. Will upstart play-in survivor Fiona Apple be able to floss with the King of Soul and his San Francisco lament? (clearly what she is wondering about in this picture) Will Van the Man survive to make love in the green grass behind the stadium for one more round? Who will take the battle of sad songs with pump-you-up melodies, Dave Grohl or Bruce Springsteen? Damn I love these match-ups…Grooveshark link is here, votes are due by 9 pm Sunday evening by e-mailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com or commenting on this post. Last stand for everyone except Bruce and Janis. Bruce is 3-0 and going for the 256 sweep with his remaining song here.

#2 (Sitting On The) Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) vs. #15 Criminal (Fiona Apple)

#7 Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen) vs. #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters)

#3 Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed) vs. #14 Come Sail Away (Styx)

#6 Me And Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin) vs. #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)

Bonus Match-up: Acoustic version of Everlong from Howard Stern show vs. Cartman version of Come Sail Away from South Park

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to LTDMT 256: Division L, Day 2

1. Matt says:

#2 (Sitting On The) Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) – 8.5 vs. #15 Criminal (Fiona Apple) – 5

#7 Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen) – 9 vs. #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters) – 8.8

The Everlong acoustic version is definitely superior to the electric, and it’s definitely a song that stands out on its own despite being somewhat conventional. But it’s not quite the anthem DITD is. The Boss is, once again, singing about the same general theme that most of his songs include, but you can’t give the mighty Foo a big edge there because their’s is another song song of yearning for – and finding – eternal love. The thing that puts Everlong over the top is the finding part, and the dramatic feel to the song and sense of reserved yearning that still accompanies it. “You’ve got to promise not to stop when I say when.”

#3 Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed) – 8 vs. #14 Come Sail Away (Styx) – 8.8

In the words of Kevin R., Come Sail Away is total butt-rock. But it still rocks. And it’s weird, and it’s an epic.

#6 Me And Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin) – 8 vs. #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) – 8.5

MABM is a “better” song, but BEG gets my vote because everyone’s life is happier for having heard that song.

(Sitting On The) Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) 5.5
    Criminal (Fiona Apple) 7.5
    I don’t know. I grew up in and around the Bay Area and eventually you’re just tired of that song.

Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 8.5
    Everlong (Foo Fighters) 5
    I think Everlong charmed me last time but tonight I’m back to my traditional indifference-bordering-on-dislike towards the Foo Fighters. Bruce slayed me, though.

Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed) 9.5
    Come Sail Away (Styx) 9
    OH MAN this is so hard. Come Sail Away got a 10 from me last time. WOTWS is an exercise in perfect minimalism… and it ekes it out tonight.

Me And Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin) 9.5
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 7.5

Acoustic version of Everlong from Howard Stern show. 2
    Cartman version of Come Sail Away from South Park. 3

3. virgil says:

Otis 7 Fiona 7
    Bruce 8 Foo Fighters 7.5
    Walk on the Wild Side 6.8 Come Sail Away 6

I can’t believe the last matchup is happening so early. I think I’d put both of these songs in my overall top 30 but

Janis 10 Van 9

#2 (Sitting On The) Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) 6.8
    #15 Criminal (Fiona Apple) 8.5

I’m stunned. I love Otis, just was looking for something a little peppier this AM. Who knew Fiona would get it done.

#7 Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 7.5
    #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters) 8.8

Both songs were better than I usually feel about them, but the relationship was about as expected

#3 Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed) – 7.8
    #14 Come Sail Away (Styx) – 11

This sucks – so hard a matchup. Lou Reed deserved better than a brutal 14 seed, but such is live. I’m sure strategically I should wait on using an 11… but this was literally the perfect song for me this morning. My entire day is looking up as a result.

#6 Me And Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin) 7.5
    #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 8.5

A terrific close to a terrific set. I wish we could spread some of this Division around with Division K… so unfairly stacked here.

5. Guillermo says:

Dock of the Bay 9.5
    Criminal 7.5

Dancing In The Dark 9.6 [sick of sitting around here trying to write this book]
    Everlong 9.2 [hurts my heart, gotta go with brucie]

Walk On The Wild Side 8
    Come Sail Away 8.4

Me And Bobby McGee 8.3
    Brown Eyed Girl 9.9

I agree with Virgil on this is a poor 256 match-up, but the populace isn’t so much behind Van- eh what can you do.

#2 (Sitting On The) Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) 10
    #15 Criminal (Fiona Apple) 6.8

#7 Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 6.2
    #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters) 8.5

#3 Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed) 9.5
    #14 Come Sail Away (Styx) 8.8

#6 Me And Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin) 9.6
    #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 9.7

#2 (Sitting On The) Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) 6
    #15 Criminal (Fiona Apple) 7.5

#7 Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 6
    #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters) 10
    The acoustic version is probably one of my favorite songs period.

#3 Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed) – 5
    #14 Come Sail Away (Styx) – 10
    Used to love the Cartman version of this…but one of my 2nd cousins gets drunk and sings this and oh holy night in a cartman voice every xmas for the last 6 years or so…and she sucks at it…song ruined.

#6 Me And Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin) 7
    #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 9

8. Little Joe says:

#2 (Sitting On The) Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) 8 vs. #15 Criminal (Fiona Apple) 5

#7 Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 7 vs. #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters) 5

Dancing In The Dark (Bruce Sprinsteen) 9
    Everlong (Foo Fighters) 7

Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed) 8
    Come Sail Away (Styx) 9.5

Me and Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin) 6.5
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 8.5

This was completed by deadline, but filed late thanks to a reception I had to hit up.
    Me/Melissa/Cristina