LTDMT Round of 256: Division L, Day 1

I find every single one of these four match-ups extremely compelling…even the 1-16 seed. These are gonna take some attempted temporal flexibility from all of us- three of these are from completely different decades. But to balance it out, one of them consists of two songs released in the exact same year, 1980. Seriously though…compelling. Grooveshark link is here, votes are due by Saturday evening at 8 pm. Comment here with scores or e-mail LTDdotorg@gmail.com.  Weekend’s almost here!

#1 Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) vs. #16 North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem)

#8 November Rain (Guns & Roses) vs. #9 The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel)

# 4 Intervention (Arcade Fire) vs. #13 The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix)

#5 Redemption Song (Bob Marley) vs. #12 Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) [Yeah, both songs released in 1980. Isn’t there just something weird about that? Maybe I’m just not in touch with either of these guys enough to make sense of it.]

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to LTDMT Round of 256: Division L, Day 1

#1 Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 10 vs. #16 North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem) 7.2

#8 November Rain (Guns & Roses) vs. #9 The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel)8.2

# 4 Intervention (Arcade Fire) 9.4 vs. #13 The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) 10

#5 Redemption Song (Bob Marley) 8.1 . #12 Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 8.7

2. virgil says:

Son of a Preacherman 6.5 Nort American Scum 4
    November Rain 10 The Boxer 7
    Intervention 4 The Wind Cries Mary 6.5
    Redemption Song 10 Another One Bites the Dust 6.25

3. Marconi plays the mambo says:

#1 Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 7 vs. #16 North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem) 3

#8 November Rain (Guns & Roses) 7 vs. #9 The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel) 5

# 4 Intervention (Arcade Fire) 6 vs. #13 The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) 7

#5 Redemption Song (Bob Marley) 6 vs. #12 Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 6

Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) ~9
    North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem) ~6

November Rain (Guns & Roses) ~7.5
    The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel) ~ 7
    Wow, pretty intense instrumentals on both these songs… enjoyed both, but not as excited as I could have been.

Intervention (Arcade Fire) ~ 5
    The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) ~ 9
    Arcade Fire just can’t hold up against Jimi at his finest, or will the fanboys rally again with another hat trick?

Redemption Song (Bob Marley) ~ 9.5
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) ~ 10
    Wow, what a tough matchup! Lyrics vs. Instrumentals. How are these two fantastic songs in the middle of the pack?

It pains me to do it, but Another One Bites the Dust is a more incredible song. Musically, its just got so much cool stuff going on. Awesome basslines, crescendos, synth work. The one thing it has against it is cheesy lyrics. Redemption song’s message is phenomenal, but its just so muted comparatively. I think this one would go either way, depending on my mood. Right now, Freddy Mercury takes it.

5. Janos says:

Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 6
    North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem) 8.2
    Yes, Dusty will win this matchup, but it will still be beyond epic to watch LCD Soundsystem’s farewell concert at Madison Square Garden on April 2nd.

November Rain (Guns & Roses) 9
    The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel) 8.5

Intervention (Arcade Fire) 10
    The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) 7.8

Redemption Song (Bob Marley) 7.9
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 8.1

#1 Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) [9]
    #16 North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem) [6.5]

#8 November Rain (Guns & Roses) [6]
    #9 The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel) [8]

# 4 Intervention (Arcade Fire) [6.5]
    #13 The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) [7.5]

#5 Redemption Song (Bob Marley) [8]
    #12 Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) [7]

Last night I had my roommate vote with me but I guess I didn’t hit post? And now the results are posted for that bracket. Alas. Well, it’s just me tonight.

Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 10
    North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem) 8
    She got a 10 from me last time, she’ll get a 10 from me again. Perfect song that I think has a shot at winning the whole shebang. I dug this LCD Soundsystem song a lot more this time around. Maybe because I have it turned up louder.

November Rain (Guns & Roses) 4
    The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel) 10
    I was gonna rag on November Rain for being a song you can only listen to once every six months and I’ve reached my quota this year, but then The Boxer came on and who cares. When S&G nail That Moment in a song, they nail. It’s subtle, but it’s that moment when you are completely and utterly hooked into the song, regardless of what else you’re doing. Two 10s this round is kind of ridiculous, but it must be done.

Intervention (Arcade Fire) 7.5
    The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) 5.5
    I like Intervention, but it starts at too high a level and doesn’t have room to build. Or maybe I spent all my feelings on The Boxer.

Redemption Song (Bob Marley) 5.5
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 9
    I’m just going to say it every time Queen comes up: I am eternally thankfully that Fred Mercury existed in this world, even if it was too briefly.

Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 7
    North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem) 7.8

Weird music day it seems. LCD Soundsystem was just pumping me up, what can I say. Share Janos’s feeling that Dusty will advance… but I might be a bit sad that it does.

November Rain (Guns & Roses) 8.8
    The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel)

Back on the GnR bus – the guitar solo and closing were letter perfect. I truly miss Slash – music needs a new album from him, even if its with his Snakepit and the weird little Steven Tyler wannabe who fronted it.

Intervention (Arcade Fire) 7.5
    The Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) 7.3

Arcade Fire just keeps growing on me. Shocking.

Redemption Song (Bob Marley) 8
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 10

Wow. Amazing matchup. Sad to do this to Bob, but Freddie was dead on, and the base line just tossed this over the top. No way I can be sad with the outcome here.

9. DrJ says: