LTDMT Round of 256: Division K, Day 2

Anyone remember the hype about Michael Jackson’s “Black or White” music video starring Macaulay Culkin? And how they played the entire uncensored version after the 1992 Super Bowl, where MJ turns into a panther at the end, and then just randomly starts breaking all this shit in the streets with a pipe? Yeah, that was weird. Grooveshark link is here, votes are due by Friday evening at 8 pm by commenting below or e-mailing ltddotorg@gmail.com .

#2 Black Or White (Michael Jackson) vs #15 Man In Black (Johnny Cash)

#7 Freedom (George Michael) vs #10 Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao)

#3 Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer) vs #14 Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon)

#6 We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) vs #11 For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to LTDMT Round of 256: Division K, Day 2

1. Marconi plays the mambo says:

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 2 vs Man In Black (Johnny Cash) 6

Freedom (George Michael) 7 vs Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 5

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer) 5 vs Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon) 7

We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) 7 vs For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 6

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 6.5

#14 Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon) [8]

#6 We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) [7.5]
    #11 For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) [7]

4. guillermo olivos says:

#2 Black Or White (Michael Jackson) 8.75
    #15 Man In Black (Johnny Cash) 5.5

I think I already told the story of Michael Jackson’s Dangerous album getting me through recovery from major surgery when I was 8. Yeah, this one’s always gonna be a winner for me. But never higher than a 9, thanks to 2:30-2:45. That part is just stupid.

#7 Freedom (George Michael) 6.5
    #10 Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 8.75

Freedom is long. and makes me think this kid biteen in college that challenged me to a wrestling match for the right to take a girl to a formal. that was unpleasant. and stupider than 2:30-2:45 of Black and White. Me Gustas Tu always makes me happy and continues to do so.

#3 Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer) 7.5
    #14 Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon) 5

Johnny Appleseed is a tourney gem. Boy in the Bubble should stay in his bubble with his accordion.

#6 We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) 9
    #11 For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 5

Track 1 of the first post-katrina mold crew cd? Done-zo. i hope Kate comes back for this round and sees this comment. An 11 seed seems generous for Stevie.

far and away the weakest bracket of the 128.

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 3 [active dislike]
    Man In Black (Johnny Cash) 4 [passive dislike] Sunday Morning should have made it in instead.

Freedom (George Michael) 5
    Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 5.5 [only because it’s got some nostalgia, but no song that relies this heavily on a slide whistle deserves to advance this far. seriously, wtf.]

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer) 6
    Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon) 6

We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) 7.5
    For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 2.5 [pretty much appalling.]

#2 Black Or White (Michael Jackson) 6.5 vs #15 Man In Black (Johnny Cash) 8.6

#7 Freedom (George Michael) 3.8 vs #10 Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 6.1

#3 Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer)8.2 vs #14 Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon)4.9

#6 We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) 9 vs #11 For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 7.2

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 8
    Man In Black (Johnny Cash) 5

Freedom (George Michael) 4
    Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 4.5

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer) 6
    Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon) 4.5

We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) 7.5
    For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 8

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 8
    Man In Black (Johnny Cash) 7.5
    Was really ready not to like Black or White, and the beginning annoyed me until I went and watched the video, which I would give a 10. Man in Black is great, but just can’t quite overtake Michael’s last song as a human.

Freedom (George Michael) 4
    Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 10
    Freedom has an awesome refrain, but maybe hearing it done poorly as a cover/karaoke song too many times has soured me to it. Me Gustas Tu, on the other hand, has it all. Awesome instruments (don’t hate on the slide whistle!), really fun lyrics, and nostalgia galore.

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer) 8
    Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon) 5
    Thats some mighty fine strummin. Paul, you can do better.

We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) 9.5
    For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 8
    Is We Built This City that good? No. But it deserves a 9.5 right now, for some reason… For Once In My Life is great, but not Stevie’s best…

Black Or White (Michael Jackson) vs Man In Black (Johnny Cash) = 6 to 8

Freedom (George Michael) vs Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) = 7.5 to 7

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer) vs Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon) = 5 to 6

We Built This City (Jefferson Starship) vs For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) = 4 to 8.5

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 3