LTDMT: Round of 256, Division E, Day 2

Finishing up Division E…and man does the right side of the bracket look different than the left side. Well, to the races. Four of these eight move on. Last chance dance for both White Stripes and Arrested Development- a propos, I like the idea of those guys in some Fight Club style welterweight basement fight, with all the other big dogs watching and nodding in approval. Grooveshark link is here, except for “In My Life” (in case you’re new, the Shark doesn’t do Beatles, Smashing Pumpkins, a few others. So just youtube it or listen to your own version for cases like this.)

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) vs. #15 Ruby Soho (Rancid)

#7 Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) vs. #10 Tennessee (Arrested Development)

#3 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) vs. #14 Graceland (Paul Simon)

#6 In My Life (Beatles) vs. #11 Burning Down The House (Talking Heads)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to LTDMT: Round of 256, Division E, Day 2

1. How the hell did Respect lose to American Music? Scorched earth from here on out... says:

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 10 vs. #15 Ruby Soho (Rancid) 2

#7 Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) 8 vs. #10 Tennessee (Arrested Development) 5

#3 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 7 vs. #14 Graceland (Paul Simon) 9

#6 In My Life (Beatles) 7 vs. #11 Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) 5

It didn’t, after the recount. Calm down.

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8
    Ruby Soho (Rancid) 7
    Stairway is a bit long, and uneven. Great song, but you have to be in a specific mood for it, and that mood has to change three or four times over 10 minutes.
    Ruby Soho is just fun.

Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) 8
    Tennessee (Arrested Development) 7
    This is definitely my favorite White Stripes song. Tennessee was a nice surprise, not quite as good though.

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 8
    Graceland (Paul Simon) 7
    Queen is classic, once again another very fluctuating tempo though. Graceland is boring.

In My Life (Beatles) 7
    Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) 7.5
    In My Life lulled for me this morning. Burning Down the House gets me amped.

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8.5
    Ruby Soho (Rancid) 7.5
    Thought’s on Stairway’s tournament prospects- I agree with Catholic that early-mid parts of the song are wobbly. If it has to go second after a real barn burner, people might tune out by minute 5 and miss the big kick. On the other hand, woe be the song that has to go right after Jimmy Page’s solo brings the house down. It’ll eventually be taken out by a song like Burning Down the House that throws a ton of energy at it.

Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) 8
    Tennessee (Arrested Development) 7

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 7.5
    Graceland (Paul Simon) 6.5
    I’m a big Paul Simon guy, but wasn’t feeling it today. I think Catholic is in my dome.

In My Life (Beatles) 8
    Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) 9
    Both great- Burning Down the House is a top 3 Talking Heads song for me.

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 6 vs. #15 Ruby Soho (Rancid) 8.5

#7 Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) 7 vs. #10 Tennessee (Arrested Development) 8.5

#3 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 7 vs. #14 Graceland (Paul Simon) 4

#3 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 9.5
    #14 Graceland (Paul Simon) 4

#6 In My Life (Beatles) vs. 8
    Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) 3.5

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8
    Ruby Soho (Rancid) 5.5
    In high school, I spent an obsessive amount of time recording songs off the radio and my parents’ records using my dual tape-deck and writing down lyrics. That finally paid off one night years later at pub trivia, when there was a category about the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven. What does that have to do with my vote? Nothing. But I don’t feel like getting into the my dad vs. my adolescence feelings this match-up brings up.

Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) 9
    Tennessee (Arrested Development) 7.5

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 10
    Graceland (Paul Simon) 4
    Bohemian Rhapsody is not my favorite Queen song, but it is technically stunning, emotionally wrought, and utterly epic. Freddy Mercury’s sheer brilliance shines through every moment. I just don’t see how, ethically, I could give it less than a 10.

In My Life (Beatles) 4.5
    Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) 6.5
    In My Life felt unbearably saccharine tonight. I like Johnny Cash’s version. That song needs to be morose.

• guillermo olivos says:

I did the same thing! (re: obsessively sitting cross-legged in front of the radio and waiting to recognize the opening parts of songs I liked and making mix tapes that way.) actually i bet everyone that votes in this did that.

8. sweetems says:

Stairway to Heaven [7.5] Finale to 7th-grade dances.
    Ruby Soho [8] Is it objectively better? Absolutely not. Is it better right now? Apparently.

Seven Nation Army [6]
    Tennessee [6.5]

Bohemian Rhapsody [9]
    Graceland [8.5]

In My Life [5.5]
    Burning Down the House [7.5] The last minute meh’s me though.

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) [8]

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 9
    Graceland (Paul Simon) 7

In My Life (Beatles) 7
    Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) 5

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 6
    Ruby Soho (Rancid) 8.5
    The music stroke continues! I love Stairway, and think it can actually win – the beginning is such a dynamite buildup – but i wasn’t feeling it. I started screaming along to Ruby Soho in the office, much to the chagrin of my neighbors.

Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) 6.5
    Tennessee (Arrested Development) 4

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 9.5
    Graceland (Paul Simon) 7

In My Life (Beatles) 7
    Burning Down The House (Talking Heads) 5
    No idea why i don’t like this Talking Heads song more. No clue at all.