Memorial Tournament: Division G

RESULTS

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John)  defeats  “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood), 136.3 to 105.4 (8 to 6.2 average)

“Paradise” (John Prine) defeats “Louisiana Woman/Mississippi Man” (Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn), 120.7 to 105.2  (7.1 to 6.1 average)

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) defeats “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard), 99 to 91 (6.2 to 5.3 average)

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) defeats “Jump” (Van Halen), 106.8 to 103.3 (6.3 to 6.1 average)

Welcome to Division G, which rolls us into the final weekend of Round 1. We’ve got some great songs here, along with some really lovely memories. Get your scores in by midnight on Sunday.

Here’s the playlist and matchups:
“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)
“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)
“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen

roth:
Tiny Dancer” was nominated by Rafter because “it seems to belong here.”

“Higher Love” from Karissa: Guillermo went through a phase of obsession with this song, probably fall 06.
He’d blast in in the Astro van on the way to John Henry Beck Park every morning, and I’d hear him belting
it out across the park all day long… the phase lasted a couple weeks, I don’t remember if this one ever made it into a music tourney. Of course, this is a difficult decision, I considered nominating Papa was a rodeo (thanks Aiko!). I also considered Where is my mind – Pixies, this one was a tournament winner from a roadtrip back to Biloxi from Jackson, I actually think G might not have been in the car but it was a memorable trip anyway, we took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in Louisiana… so we got
daquaris from a drive-through stand and continued our extra long journey, I remember pulling into the pothole ridden dirt parking lot at Hands On listening to this song. It has quite a G feel to it anyway. I also considered What a wonderful world by Israel Kamakawiwo;ole because G used to blast it as a wake up
song for all the balcony dwellers at the Hands On warehouse.\

“Louisiana Woman” from Maegan O.: I was trying to decide between a Patsy Cline song and a LorettaLynn song, but landed on this one. Seemed appropriate given the content- I remember Will uploaded a bunch of Loretta Lynn songs onto my ipod (!) in 2010 when I did my own epic 6-week long roadtrip from Vermont to San Francisco to “see about a boy”. The boy didnt work out very well, but my love of old classic country continues on to this day.

“The Joker” was an automatic nominee – it was one of Guillermo’s nominees to the 2011 People’s Choice Tournament
“Keep Your Head Up” from Morgan T.: We went on a road trip to South Dakota in 2016 and this won the music tournament. This song has always brought me to tears every time I hear it. There was really no better feeling than blasting it through the Badlands with the windows down with my 3 best friends.
“Chicago” from Sara: We were listening to this song a lot in 2005- also driving to cities with our friends with no plans, also making lots of mistakes
“Jump” from Janos: Gmo and I did a road trip tournament together in 05. Africa was heavily favored to win, and eventually did. But not until a TRIPLE overtime victory in the finals against this song.

This entry was posted in Music, Music Tournament. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Memorial Tournament: Division G

1. jacobpress says:

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) 6 v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood) 6
    “Louisiana Woman/Mississippi Man” (Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn) 6 v. “Paradise” (John Prine) 8
    “The Joker” (Steve Miller) 5 v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard) 6
    “Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) 7 v. “Jump” Van Halen 7

2. castrohart says:

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)
    Cristina 8.9 – 7
    Ahmed 9.2 – 6.3

Cristina 7 – 5
    Ahmed 2.5 – 2.4

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)
    Cristina 4.7 – 3
    Ahmed 3.5 – 3.4

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen
    Cristina 3.5 – 4.8
    Ahmed 2.9 -5.7

3. sarena says:

trying to do this on my phone during naptime bc this is my life now. anyway we’ll see how it goes.

Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)
    9 v. 7
    tiny dancer is just an amazing amazing song, for so many reasons including but not limited to that bus scene in almost famous (yes more soundtracks!) higher love got an extra point or so bc I think will actually went through multiple phases of this song, potentially one during college? (also wasn’t it part of some absurd snl sketch in recent years?)
    8 v. 6
    I didn’t know either of these songs prior and both were very good. but that first one was super fun and I really enjoyed getting to hear it.
    “The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)
    5 v. 7
    joker is a classic and i was singing the whole song upon relisten but I never really go out of my way to play it. I think I’ve heard the ben Howard song before but heard it better this time around for some reason.
    “Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen
    7.5 v. 5
    chicago was my/the world’s introduction to sufjan, who provides my soundtrack on many a hard-earned day, though I have yet to hear another of his songs that sounds very similar to it. I rarely play chicago now but I do appreciate it. never been a big fan of Van Halen :-0

• sarena says:

scratch that – all these hours later and i realized everything i wrote about higher love was actually about your love by the outfield. classic mixup! anyway still a good song – rating stands.

4. Dem Adam says:

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood) =
    7 to 8.5
    If Stevie Winwood’s 80’s stuff had 60s or 70s production and you could actually hear real instruments being played it would be killer

“Louisiana Woman/Mississippi Man” (Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn) v. “Paradise” (John Prine) =
    5 to 6.5

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard) =
    8 to 5

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen =
    7 to 7.5
    This is quite a jarring juxtaposition

5. Lindsay says:

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)
    7/8

7.5/6

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)
    6/7

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen
    7/6.5

6. nataliebabij says:

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)
    ryan: 7.5 / 9
    natalie: 8.5 / 7

r: 4 / 8
    n: 7 / 8

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)
    r: 7 / 4
    n: 5 / 4.5

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen
    r: 3.5 / 4.5
    n: 7.5 / 5

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)
    Aiko: 9 to 4.5
    Ian: 8 to 3

Aiko: 4.8 to 10
    Ian: 3 to 8
    In an earlier round I mentioned Prine is always great though rarely perfect; I’ve always loved this song, and tonight it made me tear up, so tonight it was perfect. That aching sense of loss is so right for the time.

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)
    Aiko: 1 to 7
    Ian: 1 to 7
    So far, this is the only match-up where Ian and I have matched scores. Neither of us had heard Ben Howard before but enjoyed it; both of us have heard Steve Miller more than enough for a lifetime. If I never hear about your peaches again it will be too soon.

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen
    Aiko: 7.5 to 5
    Ian: 9 to 5
    I don’t have many true regrets in life, because I feel like if I learn something from an experience, I don’t fully regret it. However, one of my true regrets is that my best friend had tickets to the Sufjan Stevens Christmas Extravaganza one year, probably 2008 or 2009, and invited me to go. And I… went on a crappy date with a creepy dude. This is an evening she STILL talks about over a decade later because it was apparently an incredible show. Did I learn anything from this? Did I learn to put friends and awesome experiences in front of boys? I did not. Not for years. Who knows if I ever learned it; I just got married instead so the point became kind of moot. Anyway. I don’t LOVE love Sufjan Stevens, but this song was an indelible part of the soundtrack of the late aughts.

8. Brynna says:

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)

Brynna: 8/6.5
    Patti: 8/7
    Bob: 7.5/7

Brynna: 6/7
    Patti: 6.5/7
    Bob: 5/7

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)

Brynna: 8/5
    Patti: 8/6.5
    Bob: 8/3

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen

Brynna: 7/6
    Patti: 6/6.5
    Bob: 4/6

“Tiny Dancer” (Elton John) v. “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)

G: 8.2 / 6
    NickyD: 8.0 (looongg) / 6
    Cyn: 8.5 / 2 (hates it)

G: 8.5 / 9.8
    NickyD: 8.5 /7
    Cyn: 9 /8

“The Joker” (Steve Miller) v. “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)

G: 8.8 / 6
    NickyD: 9 / 6
    Cyn: 10 (formative) 5

“Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens) v. “Jump” Van Halen

G: 7.5 / 7.8
    NickyD: 6.9 / 7.5
    Cyn: 6 / 5.5

10. Jim Rock says:

Sorry, I’ve been MIA and I’m late on this one. Count me out if it’s too late.

9.5 – “Tiny Dancer” (Elton John)
    6.5 – “Higher Love” (Steve Winwood)

5 – “Louisiana/Mississippi” (Twitty & Lynn)
    7 – “Paradise” (John Prine)

7 – “The Joker” (Steve Miller)
    2 – “Keep Your Head Up” (Ben Howard)

3.5 – “Chicago” (Sufjan Stevens)
    8 – “Jump” Van Halen