2nd Annual Peoples Choice Tournament: Round of 128 (Day 4 of 16)

Last year Queen went all the way with “Somebody to Love (live in Montreal)”. Can they repeat with “Killer Queen”?

It may only be Wednesday, but we’re coasting into the weekend here at livingthedream.org.   Once you knock out these match-ups you can melt safely into the arms of your own music playlists until next week.

Now that we’re four days into the tournament, we’ve introduced at least one song that will be in the Final Four. Which one are you rooting for?

Listen here (except for Them Crooked Vultures) and vote by 8pm, Friday.  Voting for Day 3 remains open for another 24 hours.

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young)

Advertisements

About janos marton

A born and bred New Yorker, Janos Marton lives the dream as a writer, lawyer, historian, and activist.
This entry was posted in Music, Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to 2nd Annual Peoples Choice Tournament: Round of 128 (Day 4 of 16)

1. cjroomba says:

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young): 9.5/6.5

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid): 5.5/7

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers): All These Things I’ve Done is my go-to song on my iPod during a run, and has the most plays. I love it. The NIKE Commercial only made it better. Japandroids House that Heaven Built has been getting some play on workouts, as well. What a tough match up. I know I have a favorite, as I love the Killers, but you can’t lose in this match up. They both have a little Springsteen to them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONuQ_CeY2mU And I don’t know who’s the most inspiring in this, Lance during his cancer treatments, Bernard Lagat’s sheer determination, or Oscar Pistorius. This was an excellent bit of marketing. 8/10

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey): No One Loves Me is…interesting. There Lyrics tell quite a story. 6.5/6.6

Today’s round was solid.

2. S says:

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) — 9.8 vs. 5.0

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) — 7.2 vs. 6.0

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) — 8.5 vs. 9.7

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) — 5.8 vs. 6.9

I’m pretty pumped my brother sent this to me. Found some great new songs to add.

3. S says:

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) — 9.8 vs. 5.0

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) — 7.2 vs. 6.2

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) — 8.2 vs. 9.7

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) — 6.3 vs. 6.9

4. Adam S says:

I was actually trying to nominate this live version of All These Things That I’ve Done. Can we use this instead? Much livelier version.

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) 9 – 5.5 … Neil Young was a good tune but lost some points for dragging on forever

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) 6.5 – 4

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) 5 – 9.5

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) 6 – 3.5

5. jacob says:

Killer Queen (Queen) 6
    vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) 5
    I like Neil Young, but this sounds a lot like a riff on All Along the Watchtower (maybe intentionally?)

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) 5
    vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) 1.5

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) 4
    vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) 9
    Has anyone seen Richard Kelly’s Southland Tales? It features what is either the world’s most surreal beer commercial or just the strangest most nonsensical scene of all time in which Justin Timberlake lip syncs this song while walking drunkenly through an arcade. So bizarre.

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) 4
    vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) 7

6. Crispus K says:

Killer Queen (Queen): [8.5] <- this song is the perfect length
    Crime in the City (Neil Young): [3] <- this song is way too long

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals): [5.5]
    Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid): [5]

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids):[6]
    All These Things I’ve Done (Killers): [7.5]

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures): [5.5] <- I had to watch a Romney ad before listening to this song ( – 2 pts) which is a shame because it's pretty good.
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey): [7] <- I like that she's wearing a tiny hat in her Wikipedia photo

7. MattB says:

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. [8]
    Crime in the City (Neil Young) [7]
    – I never think that I’m a big fan of Queen, but they do have some terrific songs. And as compared to Neil Young, Killer Queen really builds. Crime in the City is a nice song but it sounds exactly the same as minute 1 as it does at minute 7.

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. [5]
    Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) [5]
    – fine, but neither really did it for me either way.

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. [9]
    – I’ve been super into this whole album recently. Strong choice!
    All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) [6]
    – i listened to the live version (as requested). I think the singer’s voice suffered a bit, but the energy is definitely better.

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. [8]
    – this is really hard to hear. I mean, they are doing construction next door, but still… In any event, I liked what I heard. Better when I switched to this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPJMO-O8h8&feature=related
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) [6.5]
    – A really tough challenge. I dig PJ Harvey, but Them Crooked Vultures is the first band I’m very excited to have learned about in this tournament.

• janos marton says:

Thanks Matt, I’ll switch the youtube clip.

• janos marton says:

And I’m with you on Queen. I thought they were all cheese until we started these tournaments in 2010, and I’ve been super impressed at the depth and dexterity of their catalogue.

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) — 8 : 5.7

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) — 7.5 : 3

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) — 6.8 : 7.2

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) — 8.5 : 7

9. joe says:

Killer Queen (Queen): 7.5
    Crime in the City (Neil Young): 4

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals): 7
    Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid): 3.5

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids): 9
    All These Things I’ve Done (Killers): 6.5
    Been listening to Japandroids loads lately and love the album and, especially, this song. I have a massive soft spot for the Killers too. Album version would have scored much higher though – his voice is too weak for live versions to be better

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures): 7
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey): 6
    Love the PJ but I always think she’s a listen-to-the-whole-album-to-get-the-full-story kinda gal

11. Dem Adam says:

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) = 9 to 4

Whoever said that is right, it really does sound like ‘All Along the Watchtower’

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) = 3 to 2

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) = 8 to 4.5

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) = 8.5 to 7.5
    Holy crap this Them Crooked Vultures song really gets going halfway through. I like PJ harvey, and I like this song a lot, but this is too tough of a matchup. I may, however, go pick up this record now. I like that she sings about places. I remember that record about New York from 1999? 2000?

Killer Queen (Queen): 6
    Crime in the City (Neil Young): 4.5 (why so long)

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals): 5
    Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid): 2

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids): 10 (JAPANDROIDS!!!! not my nomination, but made my day!)
    All These Things I’ve Done (Killers): 6.5

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures): 4
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey): 10 (YES. Again, not my nomination, but just an amazing album. This song earwormed me for two-and-a-half months. “goddamn, europeans” was what I was screaming through my motorcycle helmet in the rain/snow on I-5 on the way to school on more than one occasion.)

13. Daryn says:

Johnny Reid (Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World) 8

Japandroids (The House that Heaven Built) 6
    Killers (All These Things I’ve Done) 5

Them Crooked Vultures (No One Loves Me and Neither Do I) 4.5
    PJ Harvey (The Last Living Rose) 4.8

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) 7.5 to 6.0

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) 5.0 to 6.0

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) 4.0 to 4.5

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) 4.0 to 5.0

16. Daddy-O says:

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) 8.5 to 6.0 Based on the first 4 nights, there is something wrong if Queen doesn’t make it to the Final Four.

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) 6.0 to 6.5

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) 3.0 to 4.5

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) 3.0 to 4.5 Not sure which was worse, the Vultures or the video but I’m giving the nod to the birds.

Wow, this sounds so much better on my real stereo than the little one on my desk. That might be affecting my scores, but I scored stuff pretty high last round too. I think there are just good pick so far this tourney.

Killer Queen (Queen) vs. Crime in the City (Neil Young) 8/9
    Sometimes Neil’s voice does not do it for me at all but I liked this, and I didn’t even mind the length which probably means this song is genius so I gave it +.9.

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) vs. Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) 6.5/5.5

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) vs. All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) 8/9
    The latent music snob in me, who I try to keep in some semblance of check, would think the Killers are way too Sold Out or something to merit any consideration. But Hot Mess is frankly such a fucking good album that I do not care who knows that I think so. I mean, every song on there is a catchy single, and I think this is the best one. You just have to admire that, from both a business and a musical standpoint. Although give me the perfectly commercially produced album version any day, this live version is… well, not a 10, which the original might be.

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) vs. The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) 6/9.7
    PJ Harvey is my nomination. As Matt astutely noticed, she IS a listen-to-the-whole-album kind of gal, and this album is a concept album about WWI, which gives some context to this song. It can get into some pretty brutal imagery. Naturally, it’s been my album of the summer.

18. Alexis says:

Killer Queen (Queen) 9
    Crime in the City (Neil Young) 5

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) – 6
    Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) – 4

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) – 6.5
    All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) – 7.5

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) – 5
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) – 5.5

19. Queen (Killer Queen) 8
    Neil Young (Crime in the City) 5.5
    I usually hate Neil Young. I prefer my CSN minus Y. Something about his voice. But Crime in the City was pretty good. Queen is Queen though and they are a tough act to follow.

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (Never Go Back) 6
    Johnny Reid (Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World) 3

Japandroids (The House that Heaven Built)
    Killers (All These Things I’ve Done)
    Man, I don’t know enough Japandroids. They can rock. The live version of All These Things… cost my rating a point or two. Didn’t feel the energy outweighed the poor mixing and vocals. That being said, this is the best track off Hot Mess and marked the end of comprehensible lyrics from Senor Flowers. Unfortunate that “I got soul but I’m not a soldier” was followed by the existential conundrum “are we human or are we dancer?”

Them Crooked Vultures (No One Loves Me and Neither Do I) 6
    PJ Harvey (The Last Living Rose) 7

Killer Queen (Queen) – 5
    not a huge fan of queen, but based on past tournaments, i expect my appreciation of this song to grow as i listen to it more.
    Crime in the City (Neil Young) – 4.5
    i really enjoyed neil at first, and then another 8 minutes passed…

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) – 9
    hmm, the pct voters are a tough crowd for grace potter… maybe i’m picking the wrong songs. i don’t think i’ve ever encountered anyone in real life that has listened to and/or seen grace potter live that didn’t really like her music. i’m generally a bigger fan of her older stuff – much more raw & bluesy, less produced, less repetitive, before she took a turn in the dance-pop direction. but i think this song is really fun and catchy, while still capitalizing on her amazing voice and the musicianship of the rest of the band. i dislike the casio-keyboard-style-drumbeat kickoff though. i just hope this song sticks around for a second listen (even if it gets crushed by queen next round).
    Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid) – 6
    were those bagpipes? i liked it for the most part.

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) – 8
    that was fun, yay!
    All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) – 6.5
    i like the energy of the live version, but i think the crowd singing deteriorated the overall quality of the recording a bit.

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) – 5.5
    i liked parts of it, but i had a hard time getting into it. it feels disjointed & drags on.
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) – 8

All These Things I’ve Done (Killers) — 7.4

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures) — 8
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey) — 8.4

22. Greg says:

Killer Queen (Queen): 9
    Crime in the City (Neil Young): 7

Great selection for Neil Young. It’s a shame these two songs had to meet first round.

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals): 7
    Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World (Johnny Reid): 5

Johnny Reid sounds a lot like Ray Lamontagne. This is not a knock on Reid, I like his sound, I’ve just heard it done before and better.

The House That Heaven Built (Japandroids): 4
    All These Things I’ve Done (Killers): 6.5

Saw the Japandroids in concert about a year ago. It was an awful experience, they sounded terrible live. Ever since then I just don’t have the same feeling towards them I once had before.

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I (Them Crooked Vultures): 4.5
    The Last Living Rose (PJ Harvey): 7

No One Loves Me and Neither Do I lost me at first, grabbed me and then lost me again. It should have been a 3 minute song, I think the video was the biggest turn off.

Me, my friend Kara

Killer Queen (Queen) — 8.6, 8
    Crime in the City (Neil Young) — 5.2, 3 (This song went lower and lower as went on and on.)

Never Go Back (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals) — 6.1, 4