Last Band Standing: Down to the Wire Action

Some real nail-biters tonight.  Check out the scores below.  Also, we’re putting another call for coaches.   In case folks are wondering what the endgame is here, I’d like to run about five waves of artists through the system before calling it quits for Last Band Standing.  That leaves plenty of slots for new folks, or even people who get eliminated in these first few weeks.

On to our current match-ups.  For Game 2 of the Semi-finals and Game 3 of the Undercard, listen here and vote by commenting before midnight on Saturday.

Results

I Fought The Law (Clash) edged out Prove It All Night (Bruce Springsteen), 84.5-76.5.   The Clash take a 1-0 series lead, but used up a big gun in the process.  Now Gmo trots out one of his big guns for Game 2, and Cristina ducks for cover.

Oh! You Pretty Things (David Bowie) takes out Communication Breakdown (Led Zeppelin),  74.1-64.4, and leads the series 1-0.   Adrock is yet to use a top tier Led Zeppelin song, but seems ready to start rolling them out.

Mother and Child Reunion (Paul Simon) hangs on for a 63.85-61.5 win against Seven Wonders (Fleetwood Mac), and now leads the series 2-0.   No disrespect to the other songs being offered today, but look below for the biggest slugfest of the evening, in my opinion.  Both these gents came ready to rumble for Game 3.

Hey Love (Stevie Wonder) survives a tight one against Best of You (acoustic) (Foo Fighters), 72.5-70.2, and takes a 2-0 series lead.  Astrid has a couple of big hits up her sleeve, but it doesn’t look like she’s using one for Game 3.

Semi-finals, Game 2

Lover’s Rock (Clash)  vs.  Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)

Undercard, Game 3

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Walk (Foo Fighters)

Advertisements

About janos marton

A born and bred New Yorker, Janos Marton lives the dream as a writer, lawyer, historian, and activist.
This entry was posted in Music, Music Tournament and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Last Band Standing: Down to the Wire Action

1. Guillermo says:

Already excited to get to this tomorrow. best day of music so far.

2. jacob says:

Lover’s Rock (Clash) 6
    vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) 5

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) 5
    vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) 7

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) 5
    vs. Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) 4

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) X
    vs. Walk (Foo Fighters) X

Semi-finals, Game 2

Lover’s Rock (Clash) vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) = 5 to 8.5

Good lord Thunder Road is heavy. Makes you contemplate your mortality.

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) = 3 to 9

Sorry, but imagine if these songs got into a bar fight. I bet all four members of Led Zeppelin were having sex with someone WHILE recording this track.

Undercard, Game 3

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) vs. Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) = 7 to 5

This Paul Simon guy sounds a lot like Vampire Weekend.

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Walk (Foo Fighters) = 10 to 6.5

What more could be said in a pop song?

Great work to all of you on these nominations. Great playlist.

Lover’s Rock (Clash) vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)
    6.5 : 9.5

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)
    8 : 9.4
    Adam, are you really saying that Dance Magic Dance wouldn’t turn the bar fight into a 7 minute music video, a la “Beat It”? Jump magic jump.

8.7 : 9.3

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Walk (Foo Fighters)
    8.5 : 7

5. CJRoomba says:

Semi-finals, Game 2

Lover’s Rock (Clash) vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen): 5/9.99

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin): 6/8

Undercard, Game 3

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) vs. Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac): 7/5.5

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Walk (Foo Fighters): 9/6

6. Joe Denson says:

Lovers Rock (The Clash) 5
    Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) 9

Wow. Guillermo ain’t messin around anymore.

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) 4
    Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) 9.5

Gloves off here with Zeppelin. Best sloppy guitar solo of all time. Sure it could have been played “better”, but not with the same emotion. Best rhythm, and one of the best screams in rock. 80’s synth Bowie makes me cringe. I want to vote lower, but I won’t.

Undercard

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) 7
    Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) 9

Team Fleetwood pulls out a massive hit. I didn’t think I’d see this until a final round. Diamonds is a great song, but this is Fleetwood Mac’s “anthem”.

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 7
    Walk (Foo Fighters) 3

7. bessabear says:

Lover’s Rock (Clash) vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)
    6 : 9

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)
    10 : 1
    uh yes. i think those of you that know me saw this coming.

8.5 : 8

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Walk (Foo Fighters)
    9 : 7

Lovers Rock (The Clash) 4
    Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) 9
    Oh, man…Thunder Road is so good. Feels so anthemic. After two run-throughs (I wasn’t familiar), I found Lovers Rock to be a little on the dull side.

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) 6
    Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) 6.5
    I don’t even know how to begin rating Dance Magic! I do know that I love that someone was bold enough to nominate it. I know every word to ‘Labyrinth’ after having watched it about once a week as a kid but……I mean…….I have no idea if this is a good song or not – it’s too tied to the movie for me. God only knows what the baby squawks and goblin voices in the track sound like to someone who doesn’t know the movie!

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) #
    Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) #

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 7
    Walk (Foo Fighters) 8
    One half of my musical upbringing involved my parents – they gave me a love of Fleetwood Mac, Genesis/Phil Collins, Springsteen, Elton John and Bowie. The other half of my musical upbringing involved my friends, our skateboards and music that sounds exactly like this FF track – I don’t see anyone else making music like this any more and I really like it. Keep pumping it out please, Dave.

9. Greg Burch says:

Lovers Rock (The Clash): 5.5
    Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen): 6.5

I clearly don’t get Bruce Springsteen, I guess I’m just not that big of a fan. Wasn’t really feeling either of these songs. The Clash is always hit and miss for me. London Calling is a great album, but I think this is one of the weaker songs off of it.

Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin): 9
    Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie): 4.5

Someone finally decided to pull out a big gun Led Zeppelin song. Damn, put my Friday in a much better mood. I have great memories of Labyrinth as a movie, the Soundtrack on the other hand was not on par, even if it was David Bowie.

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder): 8
    Walk (Foo Fighters): 7.5

Solid song by the Foo Fighters can’t say that I know a lot about them, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yet, Stevie is just a touch better.

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon): 7.5
    Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac): 7

I love Paul Simon, especially Graceland great pick. A strong song from Fleetwood Mac song early on, shame it’s against a fantastic Paul Simon song.

10. G-mo says:

Lovers Rock (The Clash): x
    Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen): x

Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin): 5.8
    Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie): 7

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder): 6
    Walk (Foo Fighters): 5

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon): 6.7
    Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac): 10

No comment, or look at past comments I’ve made on this song in the first tournament. I don’t want to break this keyboard.

11. Ilya says:

Lover’s Rock (Clash) 6.5
    vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) 9

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) 4.5
    vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) 7.5

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 7
    vs. Walk (Foo Fighters) 6

Lover’s Rock (Clash) vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) 6.5 to 7.0

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) 6.0 to 7.0

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) vs. Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) 7.5 to 8.5

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Walk (Foo Fighters) 8.5 to 6.5

Lover’s Rock (Clash) vs. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) 6.25 to 5.75

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) vs. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) 5.75 to 7.25

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) vs. Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) 4.5 to 9.0

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Walk (Foo Fighters) 7.0 to 6.75

Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen) 10
    Lover’s Rock (Clash) 7

Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) ##
    Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) ##

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) 7.5
    Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) 10

Walk (Foo Fighters) 5.0 [again, every point for dave. really dislike the song.)
    For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 6.0

15. Jenn says:

Thunder Road – 9 vs. Lovers Rock – 4.5

Dance Magic Dance – 5 vs. Whole Lotta Love – 4.5

Once in My Life – 7 vs. Walk – 5.5

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes – 5.5 vs. Go Your Own Way – 8

Scores for Meghan / Adam:

Lovers Rock (The Clash): 6.5 / 5.8
    Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen): 7.5 / 7

Dance Magic Dance (David Bowie) 4.5 / #
    Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) 8 / #

Adam: Total credit to Grant here. Dance Magic Dance is so weird out of context, but it’s a ton of fun. For the record, I would have given this an 8.5… completely enjoyed it.

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (Paul Simon) 6 / 7.3
    Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) 9/7

A: Diamonds got a late boost from the groove which commanded Meg’s hips. What can I say, i’m really easy to influence sometimes.

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 7.5/6