Peoples’ Choice Tournament: Play-in Day 2

*(Peeps, please use this version of Captain Jack Sparrow. It seems there’s an issue with the Grooveshark version.)

Folks, with Guillermo detained on the lonely forest highways, I’m gonna throw up a quick Memorial Day tournament showdown.  It’s the second set of play-in songs- the tournament starts for real tomorrow.  Listen here (except Shaker Maker) and vote by commenting below or emailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com by Wednesday at 8pm.

Division O Play-in:  Never My Love (The Association) vs. Shaker Maker (Oasis)

Division ? Play-in:  Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) vs. Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Peoples’ Choice Tournament: Play-in Day 2

1. xenok says:

If the song is gimmicky, at least make it short. If Secret Agent Man was just 1:30 long, I might have liked it more. Jack Sparrow 7 (I was ready to go sail the high seas after listening to it) over Secret Agent Man 3.

Listening to Never My Love immediately after Jack Sparrow was a bad idea. Maybe if I had a glass of wine, and listened to it right before I was going to bed, I would be more receptive to a melancholic song. But after Jack Sparrow got me riled up? It really didn’t stand a chance. Shakermaker 6 over Never My Love 4.

I have a HUGE heterosexual man-crush on Josh Ritter, to the point of regretting not having nominated another Ritter song instead. As for Rick, he had his moment as a mildly humorous Internet meme, now it’s time to let it go. No, just say no. Snow is Gone 8 over Never Gonna Give You Up 2.

2. dj roomba says:

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) – 3
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) – 4
    If I could, I’d cross these off the virtual ballot and replace them with Dracula’s Lament (Peter Segel) and give that a 10. But since I can’t, this is what I ended up with. Jack Sparrow gets a bonus point for the Michael Bolton cameo and the fact I love pirates.

Never My Love (The Association)- 5
    Shaker Maker (Oasis)- 5
    A different Oasis song would have won this round, but alas. Never My Love seems like the kind of song Jesse and the Rippers would cover on an episode of Full House.

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter)- 8.5
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley)- 5
    I also have a crush on Josh Ritter.

3. brian says:

Division I Play-in: Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) vs. Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) = 7:5
    —Secret Agent man was fun and upbeat, hung together and enjoyable. Jack Sparrow is definitely funny, but, as a song, is a bit clunky. Solid comedic bit, though and props to Bolton for being able to make fun of himself.

Division O Play-in: Never My Love (The Association) vs. Shaker Maker (Oasis) = 4.5:6
    —Both songs were not great at all, but “Never My Love” actually made me REALLY struggle to keep listening. “Shaker” was definitely bad, but I could at least choke it down and get to the end.

Division ? Play-in: Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) vs. Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley) = 5.5:6.5
    —I hope Rickrolling didn’t hurt this song in my mind. It’s okay, but I think most positive reactions have to do with positive associations as opposed to the song itself. Upbeat, 80s… a step or two above passable.

Fixed grooveshark link for jack sparrow:

Secret Agent Man: 5.5
    Jack Sparrow: 7.5
    Still loving Jack Sparrow since it came out a few weeks ago, but it’ll burn out for me pretty soon I think.

Never My Love: 6
    Shaker Maker: 4
    Digging Never My Love…but I’m in the mood for something more upbeat today…and for that it will suffer. I think I might like Shaker Maker if not for sounding all distorted…not sure if it’s the youtube version or if thats the way it wounds.

Snow is Gone: 6.5
    Never Gonna Give You Up: 3
    I came very close to putting Josh Ritter’s “The Curse” into the tournament. Glad another one made it in. If we were singing karaoke, I’d 10 Astley in a second…coming through my computer speakers for the millionth time…meh.

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) 6.5
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) 7

So I really like Secret Agent Man, but it’s not great any more. In some of the films/movies its made an appearance in, it’s awesome, but not on its own. I don’t know what to do with Jack Sparrow. If I’m watching the video, its an automatic 10. If i’m not… its in the 5 range. I’ll split the baby with a 7, but have no idea what to do with it long term if it moves on.

Never My Love (The Association) 6
    Shaker Maker (Oasis) 2.5

Haven’t heard Never My Love – really chill, enjoyable track. Going to get some repeated listens. Oasis and I don’t agree at all. It just happens.

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) 5
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley) 7

Don’t love Snow is Gone, but the sound makes me think I’ll like Josh Ritter generally. Thanks to whoever threw this one in! Much like my comment on Careless Whisper – I want to hate this. And I don’t… so bad so so so bad… and yet it brings about such random joy…maybe its because I think of the literal video of it whenever I hear it. Thoroughly worth it if by chance you missed it on youtube (I did for about a year after it came out)

6. sarita says:

secret agent man – 6 – So good in the movies.
    jack sparrow – 7 – Don’t you just feel ready for anything after that? Bring it on world.

never my love – 6 –
    shakermaker – 3 – One of the most boring oasis songs i’ve heard

snow is gone – 7 – New to me. Thank you music tournament.
    never gonna give you up – 3 –

I apologize in advance if anyone was attached to these submissions.

secret agent man – 3
    [wow. can’t get that stupid Clinton-Era Rush Limbaugh parody out of my head, and I hate everything about that. Was that a Los Alamos spy thing? Yet another thing Rush ruins.]
    jack sparrow = http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9464-shine-on/

never my love – 4
    shakermaker – 3

snow is gone – 4
    never gonna give you up – 10 I’m Rickrollingthistournment. [although, honestly, like the song is a 5.5, but rickroll is the glitch that ate the internet.]

secret agent man – 6.5
    jack sparrow – 0
    I was going to rip on parody songs, but it was pointed out to me that the likes of Flight of the Conchords, Lazy Sunday (by the same artist), and (some) Weird Al all exist, and are all superior to this song. This also marks my first 0 of my voting career.

never my love – 4.5
    shakermaker – 2

snow is gone – 4
    never gonna give you up — 7
    Never Gonna Give You Up has legit grown on me over the years. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

9. Wiggs says:

Secret Agent Man: 6.5
    Captain Jack Sparrow: 8 because my husband has been listening to it on repeat since it aired and every time I get up from the couch he says to me, “Boys…let’s do it.” I feel like I have Stockholm Syndrome for the song. Plus, “pauper of the surf”?!? Hilar.

Never My Love: 9…have always loved it. Sigh.
    Shakermaker: 3

Snow is Gone: 7
    Never Gonna Give You Up: 2…I just…I can’t.

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) 4
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) 5

Never My Love (The Association) 4
    Shaker Maker (Oasis) 3

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) 6
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley) 5

11. Carrie says:

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers): 5.5
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton): 6.5 (why not?)

Never My Love (The Association): 6.5
    Shaker Maker (Oasis): 5

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter): 7.5
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley): 7.5

12. Hombre Secreto says:

Division I Play-in: Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) 7 vs. Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) 5
    I like the spanish language version of Secret Agent Man by the Plugz off the Repoman soundtrack better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDryvw5KI-g
    The Sparrow song is funny, but it’s not as good without the video.

Division O Play-in: Never My Love (The Association) 4 vs. Shaker Maker (Oasis) 5

I’ll pick the Oasis song because the video has a cat in it. Were it not for the brief appearance of this cat, Oasis would have no redeeming value whatsoever.

Division ? Play-in: Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) 3 vs. Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick Astley) 5

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers): 7
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton): 8
    Enjoyed Secret Agent Man. Jack Sparrow is awesome for now, but I don’t think it’ll ever get a score this high from me again.

Never My Love (The Association): 3.5
    Shaker Maker (Oasis): 3
    Never My Love sounds like a cover of the worst songs the Beatles made.
    Shaker Maker isn’t good. Oasis is overrated.

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter): 6.3
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley): 1

Snow is Gone is nice. I had no idea the guy from Three’s Company was a singer… he sings as well as he falls over the couch!

Rick Astley had his moment. Twice. I think that was enough.

14. Sam says:

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) 3
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) 6.5

Good movie montage/transition songs should never last more than 75 seconds….good internet memes should never last more than 75 days.

PS. Did anyone notice that the Grooveshark playlist is wrong? The Jack Sparrow track listed is actually from the Pirates movie…not the Lonely Island spoof? Does anyone actually use the playlist or just vote based on memory?!

Never My Love (The Association) 2
    Shaker Maker (Oasis) 3

😦

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) 6
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley) 1

See above re: internet memes.

I hope the music gets better and that we are truly just watching the UNC-Asheville’s of the world play it out to get beat by the big boys.

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) [6]
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) [4.5]

Never My Love (The Association) [5]
    Shaker Maker (Oasis) [3]

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) [6.5]
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley) [3.5]

16. Ariel says:

Secret Agent Man 6
    Jack Sparrow 4 — not a real song and not even that good as far as not real songs go

Never My Love 5
    Shakermaker 1 — Oasis is a terrible band

Snow is Gone 3
    Never Gonna Give You Up 6

Secret Agent 6.0 vs Jack Sparrow 4.0 – Secret Agent – good song; great TV series; lousy movie – – – Sparrow – melody is OK (Where was Bolton?); no series, but fantastic movies; without movies, song is a total dud.

Never My Love – 5.0 vs Shaker Maker 2.5 – Never was OK a couple of decades ago; Shaker – wasn’t sure if it was just the poor sound quality on YouTube or lousy group or static in my hearing aid.

Snow is Gone 4.0 vs Never Gonna Give 5.5 – Rick is OK; not a big fan when originally released but Snow was a big drone; score was probably generous.

Can’t wait ’til we get to some real music!!

Secret Agent 6.0 vs Jack Sparrow 5.5

Never My Love 5.5 vs Shaker Maker 4.0

Snow is Gone 4.0 vs Never Gonna Give You Up 6.0

Hopefully I will overcome my shyness soon as some of this is most deserving of commentary.

19. D-Maas says:

Secret Agent Man: 3
    Jack Sparrow: 8
    Oh Michael Bolton, what a joker. Oh Andy Samberg, what a phenomenal musician. Oh Secret Agent Man, what an annoying theme song.

Never My Love: 5.5
    Shaker Maker: 4
    Wow, going in I was expecting to give this one to Oasis, but it wasn’t one of my favorite Oasis songs and ‘Never My Love’ was hypnotizingly mellow.

Snow is Gone: 5
    Never Gonna Give You Up: 1.5
    ‘Never gonna give you up’: officially one of my least favorite songs.

20. Jack says:

Secret Agent Man: This song just isn’t very good. Kind of annoying. 2.5
    Jack Sparrow: I don’t think this is getting enough love. I get that people don’t like voting for joke songs. But a) the joke here is actually really clever. It’s not a parody that turns a pop song into a song about food and it is not about some gross or embarrassing sexual act. Originality is pretty rare in joke songs, so props for that. B), as a career move for Michael Bolton this deserves a 10. For decades the guy has been synonymous with soulless easy listening adult contemporary and has produced nothing of any cultural significance. So he does a Lonely Island song? Sings “this whole town’s a pussy just waiting to get fucked”? I don’t know if it was him or his agent- but this is brilliant. C) Like a lot of Lonely Island songs the hook is actually really catchy. It won’t last but for now: 8

Never My Love: Solid song that I hadn’t heard before. Made me smile. Isn’t going to last though. Would be better if the lyrics were written by Iggy Pop or Scott Walker. 6
    Shakemaker: Oasis should have died violently right when Wonderwall came out. They’re like the Kennedy Administration of Britpop if Kennedy had served out two terms in mediocrity. 3

Snow is Gone: 5
    A decent slice of Americana but I don’t feel connected to it.
    Never Gonna Give You Up: 2
    Just because the Sara McLachlan song was the standard I set for a 1 and this is definitely better than that 🙂

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers): .5 (yes, a POINT 5. if this thing sticks around, it’s getting big fat goose-eggs from me)
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton): 6
    I love that “big, sexy hook.” But I will surely grow tired of this thing soon enough. I hate Secret Agent Man. I always have. I made myself listen to the whole thing just to make sure I still hate it and…. yup. It still sucks.

Never My Love (The Association): 5
    Shaker Maker (Oasis): 2

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter): 4.5
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley): 7
    I was really getting into Ritter, but at around 3 minutes, I was ready for it to end. And it kept going for another minute.
    Astley reminds me of a balmy summer night, walking to Ms. Mae’s with my roommate, and being followed slowly by a random stranger blasting this song from his car stereo, so we could dance ourselves down the street.

22. Secret Agent Man: 3
    Jack Sparrow: 6.2

SAM is pretty annoying. Jack Sparrow sort of rocked my world. And goddamn is that hook sexy. Although I’m sort of upset they didn’t do more with the word “hook” as that seems like a pun waiting to happen.

Never My Love: 7.4
    Shakermaker: 5

Aw, this Association song works this morning. Oasis, I dunno.

Snow Is Gone: 5
    Never Gonna Give You Up: 7

I almost nominated “To The Dogs Or Whoever” by Josh Ritter, and I definitely encourage y’all that aren’t familiar to look that up along with “Me and Jiggs” and “Temptation of Adam.” SIG isn’t up there with my favorites. Rick Astley sorta makes me happy, rickrolling aside.

23. Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) – 2
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton) – 7
    … come on! jack sparrow is so great! and fun! the jester of tortuga?!?

Never My Love (The Association) – 4
    Shaker Maker (Oasis) – 5

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) – 8
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley) – 3

someone mentioned they wished they had entered “the curse”… i so love that song. i wish i had put “the temptation of adam” on the list. i love josh ritter.

24. Janos says:

Secret Agent Man: 6
    Jack Sparrow: 8.5
    I’ve had Jack Sparrow stuck in my head for days. Who knows how long that will last. As for Secret Agent Man, it reminded me of “These Boots Are Made for Walking”. It was ok.

Never My Love: 6.5
    Shaker Maker: 4
    Never My Love was pleasant. Had a Beach Boys vibe to it. Was totally not into Shaker Maker- I’d rank it behind Supersonic, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Live Forever and Rock ‘n Roll Star on just that album (Definitely Maybe).

Snow is Gone: 7.8
    Never Gonna Give You Up: 3.5
    Thank you to whoever nominated “Snow is Gone”. I had never heard it before, and it was quite a treat. I was able to put aside the “rolling” and just listed to Astley, but am still unmoved.

25. Dinah says:

Secret Agent Man (4)
    Jack Sparrow (8) – just pure enjoyment

Never my love (5)
    Shaker Maker (4.5)

Snow is gone (5)
    Never gonna give you up (7)

26. zd says:

Secret Agent Man: 6
    Jack Sparrow: 5

Never My Love: 6
    Shaker Maker: 3

Josh Ritter: 8
    Never Gonna Give You Up: 2

No time for details….

27. Liz says:

Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) 6
    Jack Sparrow (The Lonely Island w/ Michael Bolton). hmm. I don’t think the Michael Bolton part mixed particularly well with the Lonely Island part. Props to Michael Bolton, but it’s getting a 3.

Never My Love (The Association) 4
    Shaker Maker (Oasis) 2

Snow is Gone (Josh Ritter) – never heard before, but I like it. 8.5
    Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick “rollin” Astley) – yeah…over the joke. 3, only because it’s better than Shaker Maker.