Hello everyone! There will be a Marathon Day review forthcoming, I’m sure, but in the meantime I wanted to give an update on the People’s Choice Tournament. The last thing I will say about MD4, though, is that it was everything I imagined it would be, and I’m happy to have met more voters in person on top of everything else(Adrock, Meghan, jsasstastic, Matt, etc.) Anyways, we are now into single digit days left to get those nominations in…so do it! Thank you for those gold, silver, and bronze tier voters that have gotten us their picks. If your name is on this list though, we still need your songs and you are in trouble.
List of Troublemakers
Gold: Aiko, Astrid, Catholic, Colin, Marconi, Margot, Meghan, Natalie
Silver: Carrie, Cristina, Dinah, JimRock, Jordan, KateG, Marc, Matt, Mdub, Orce, Virgil
Bronze: Anna Z, Benji, Caroline, Dennys, Jess Weiss, jsasstastic, Meghan’s Dad (this last one seems like it may be a lost cause)
So what new songs have been nominated recently? As per our general credo of keeping it as interesting as possible, things are getting even more mad real than they were before. Of note:
- Both fan favorite bands Kittens Ablaze and Midnight Spin get nods (KA picture up top. I think Grant is still wearing his wristband from the night before.)
- Oh hello, Alice Cooper. You holding that skull is totally, totally normal. Like biting heads off of chickens. Anyways, “Poison” just joined the list.
- It’s a nice moment when you’ve already nominated and you see a song that just barely missed your final nominations get the nod from another voter. I had this experience watching “Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots” come in. That song seems like a contender. To me at least.
- Artists that have more than one song nominated so far are Adele, Arcade Fire, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Otis Redding, Parliament, Pearl Jam, and The Strokes. But what do they all have in common? Answer that, Ken Jennings.
- Somebody nominated “Interstate Love Song”- if I’d had a personal music tournament in 1995, that song would have probably won. Probably by beating Everclear’s “Santa Monica” in the final. The first concert I ever went to was at the Patriot Center at George Mason University in 1995, and it was STP with Local H opening. What happened to Scott Weiland? Am I the only one that remembers his name was Scott Weiland?
- “Careless Whisper” is in there too. So if you love saxophones, get really, really excited.