Living The Dream Music Tournament: Semi-Finals

Votes due Thursday, April 28th at 8:00 PM EST: Just looking at the way that title came off my fingers gives me anticipatory shivers. LTDMT: Semi-Finals. No division, no Day 1, no need for modifier or anything beyond what it is. And it truly is what it is- 550 songs have become 4 songs. One of our match-ups features two championship contenders released in 1961 and 1963- two years apart, and a mere five tracks apart on Disc 1 of the LTDMT 128 Box Set. Our other, a pairing of Mercury…and a mirror. A magic mirror. That also has the Bowie in it. You know, it’s interesting- Janos has been pointing out race and gender trends these last few rounds, but in the end, we have: A white guy from Tennessee. A black guy from North Carolina and later Harlem. A bisexual former Zoroastrian who grew up in a combination of Zanzibar and Bombay. And the most androgynous individual in the history of rock and roll. I’d say we’re pretty equitable, all things considered (sorry Dusty.) Grooveshark link is here. Listen to the songs and vote by commenting on this post or by e-mailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com. Votes are due by Thursday, April 28th at 8:00 PM EST. Best of luck to all four of our survivors.

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) vs. #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen): I’m not sure what else I can type beyond the long discussion Janos and I had on the podcast, starting around 10 minutes in. One song is longer than the other. One song has more bass guitar than the other. One has the Bowie, one has a capella. “Bohemian Rhapsody” is the third best selling single in the history of the United Kingdom, behind “Candle In The Wind” (Round of 512 loss to Madonna’s “Like A Prayer”) and Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas” (Really happy that wasn’t in here; if we were to include any holiday songs, it better have been the goddamn Monster Mash.) “Under Pressure” was the result of an impromptu jam session between the members of Queen and David Bowie at Bowie’s studio in Montreux, Switzerland. And anyone that mentions A1A Beachfront Avenue when they hear this song should be ashamed of themselves, as that is a no way to treat a Living The Dream Final Four survivor.

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) vs. #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)

What do Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Led Zeppelin, U2, Warren Zevon, Green Day, Lady Gaga, and Sting have in common? Well, they all got a shot in this tournament and have been eliminated. And all of them have recorded or performed covers of “Stand By Me.” SBM is also, according to BMI, the 4th most played song of the 20th century , behind “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling,” “Never My Love,” and “Yesterday.” (I was just thinking the other day I hope we see YLTLF in the PCT.) There have been over four hundred recorded covers of “Stand By Me.” Also, there was a music video that stars Ben along with Chris Chambers and Gordie LaChance themselves. This is a song about friendship. The no matter what kind.

To get to this final, Ben has one last obstacle and not one to be taken lightly. Again, for those that missed it, the story of “Ring of Fire” can be found starting at 47:30 of this episode of This American Life we saw in Aiko’s comments section a few weeks ago. And as Jacob reminds us, this pairing is a match of deep consistent loyalty love and burning wildfire crazy love. Each is indeed worthy of musical representations for its own reason, distinct from the other. A truly epic and surely difficult Final Four pairing for many of us to sort through. Let the best song win.

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Living The Dream Music Tournament: Semi-Finals

1. Matt says:

Strangely enough, this is one of the easiest rounds ever:

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 6.5 vs. #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 9

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) – 9 vs. #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 5

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) vs. #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 9/8.5

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) vs. #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 8/4

Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 11
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 4.5

This score is based on my opinion on how much better one song is than the other, not on the old 10 scale of good/great/etc. My rationale is basically I’m that confident that Under Pressure is that much better because:
    while it sounds simple and flows perfectly as one complete song it’s incredibly complex [from the background parts to the tempo changes to the intricate vocal arrangements, etc while being continuously interesting/engaging and not as overtly cheesy in the same way], unlike BRap which is complex and sounds like its trying to be complex. I think making something so intricate sound so simple is a much bigger challenge than a rock opera, but I respect the counterpoint. BRap does have that amazing May solo at the end, which pulls the whole song together and up, but I listened to UPressure twice tonight and it’s ending is just as riveting, so I’d call that a wash on that point.
    –Apologize for the big range but I really feel confidence that UPressure is better, and my vote reflects that.

Stand By Me (Ben E. King) 9.6
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) 3.0
    This, on the other hand, was how I felt today on my old scale. RofFire average or less than an average song to me today, and Stand by Me hit.
    [If Ring of Fire ever hits you as slow, try listening to the 33rpm version at 45 speed (Cash’s vocal’s are so low he doesn’t even sound like a chipmunk). That punked version gets a solid 7.]

4. Marc says:

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 5
    #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 9

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) – 8
    #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 4

5. Fanny never liked you anyway says:

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) 10 vs. #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 4

Recognizing that Bohemian Rhapsody is probably the more well know of the two contenders in this match up, I wanted to echo Guillermo’s comments and make a case for Under Pressure:

Bohemian is a fine song, blending elements of Gershwin, the Beach Boys, and Paul McCartney with the lavish sound of the Who’s rock operas and late seventies stadium anthems. It’s a miniature epic, and a garish one at that, reflecting the outlandish, hedonistic aesthetic of its time. The lyrics don’t make much sense, but the melody tells you all you need to know about some dude who killed a man and loves his mama, but ultimately decides that nothing really matters.

Under Pressure is a lot more subtle, but I don’t think it’s often perceived as a subtle song because it’s so familiar. One thing that I can’t get over is how it continues to live in Vanilla Ice’s shadow. Besides the bass line, which is probably the most distinctive part of the song, I think our generation (thanks to Vanilla Ice) associates Under Pressure with the piano riff at the beginning, which almost functions like a sample itself even though it’s original to this song. The beat is also readily adapted to rap, especially the way the drums kick the verses into gear with the first pronouncement of the word “pressure.” Vanilla Ice didn’t have to work hard to adapt this track.

Unfortunately, our initial introduction to this song as a rap sample makes it easy to overlook what makes it beautiful and enduring. It creates and alleviates tension several times using tempo changes and melodic variations, and the lushness of the guitar chords and Bowie’s backing harmonies gives it a consistent richness.

While it’s tempting to view these songs as incomparable, both actually have a very similar thematic structure and have equivalent component pieces that are easily measured against one another. You could make the argument that the “give love one more chance” breakdown is just as explosive as the “spit in my eye” jam; both songs reset half way through with quiet interludes (“I see a little silhouette of a man” and “turned away from it all”); and both songs end where they started (I personally prefer the stark bass line and piano riff as an opener/closer over the heavily distorted harmonizing of “is this the real life”/ “any way the wind blows”).

I give the overall edge to Under Pressure because I love the way the guitar chords scattered throughout the song create lovely and unexpected harmonies with Bowie and Mercury’s vocals. Even the piano riff at the beginning comes back to harmonize with the guitars in the later verses. It’s just more rewarding to listen to this song and certainly more satisfying to relisten to it (I’ve played it ten times in a row while writing this and I find something new each time). Bohemian Rhapsody has no soft touch- it hits you over the head, in both the loud and the quiet parts. I know it’s supposed to be melodramatic since it’s an opera, but melodrama has its limits. Under Pressure accomplishes the same overall effect with more grace and less sap.

A vote for Under Pressure over Bohemian Rhapsody is a vote for nuance over flash, feeling over sentiment and finesse over power. It’s Mozart vs Wagner. Both have their place, but if I got stuck listening to one for the rest of my life, I’d damn well choose Under Pressure.

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) 5 vs. #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) 9

After posing the question yesterday as to whether loyalty or passion is the most important ingredient in love, I did some thinking and have concluded that neither can exist without the other. That said, I really like Johnny Cash, so I’m giving him a spread that hopefully will help take him over the top.

Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 9.7
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 7
    Under Pressure all the way. It only lost a few for an uneven ending bit that made me turn it down. Bohemian is great, just a bit much.

Stand By Me (Ben E. King) – 10
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 4

Stand By Me gave me chills. Ring of Fire is starting to irk.

7. Kate says:

Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie)…9.4
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)…6.8

Stand By Me (Ben E. King)…9.3
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)…7

8. DrJ says:

Bohemian Rhapdody 10
    Under Pressure 4.5

Stand By Me 8
    Ring Of Fire 7

9. Janos Marton says:

Me and Cristina

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 8.5 / 8.5
    #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 8/ 8
    We wrote down these scores. Pretty remarkable moment.

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) – 8 /4
    #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 7.5 / 10
    Cristina’s very legitimate explanation for her Stand By Me hatorade is that she had listen to it hundreds of times for 5th grade ballet recital.

Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) 9.6
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 8.4

(I have stuck diligently to the .5 scale but considering Dusty lost by .15, I think it’s time to play with the tenths a little bit.)

Other people have explained my thinking on this. Under Pressure shouldn’t work, but it does. It’s so complex, and uniquely so. Both songs are epic, but I feel like Bohemian Rhapsody is classically epic, while Under Pressure is post-modernly epic. It really comes down to that distinction. I can be pretty stodgy about my musical taste–I love a good, basic, solid pop song, and “cutting edge” music often sets my teeth on edge more than anything, but when something manages to be both experimental and to retain widespread emotional resonance… it’s quite a feat. Respect should be paid.

Stand By Me (Ben E. King) 8.6
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) 6.4

Stand by Me always hits, Ring of Fire comes and goes. Stand by Me should move on.

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 8

Bohemian – 6.5

Stand by Me -8.5
    Ring of Fire -5

14. Guillermo says:

Under Pressure 10
    Bohemian Rhapsody 7.9

Good for lip syncing and jumping on beds at midnight on a birthday eve. Also, the lyrics actually make me feel something. I saw a Mercury interview somewhere where he admitted BR wasn’t actually about anything. That combined with the overbearing hypercomplication of the different sections is nothing short of masturbatory. Please let the song with the “love dares you to care for the people on the edge of the night” line go on.

Stand By Me 7
    Ring of Fire 8.9

I thought for sure Stand By Me would hit for this Thursday 630 am metro ride back to Maryland. But I need something more absurd. Something…with horns.

15. BH says:

Under Pressure 9
    Bohemian Rhapsody 8

I love Queen. I love the ridiculousness of this song… but Bowie surprisingly wins here.

Stand by Me 7.5
    Ring of Fire 8

It’s hard to make this country-lover pick against Johnny. But Stand by Me almost made it. I kind of feel like it should win, I just can’t vote for it myself.

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 9.5
    #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 7

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) – 9.5
    #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 4

Both relative scales here…strong performance from The Freddie but let’s face it, there is absolutely no way I’m ever going to vote against Bowie, especially at this stage. Bowi’e parts at 1:45 and 2:53 always give me goosebumps for some reason. Imagine seeing the two of them belting it out live…aaaaaaah, my regrets in life are few and far between, but….
    Bohemian is probably the default here because a thousand other magazine polls think so and because we all liked Wayne’s World; let’s look beyond all that. I flit between “it’s genius” and “it is really irritating me right now”…I never get the latter with Under Pressure. That’s the clincher.

Stand By Me completely obliterates Cash in this match-up. It is beautiful and makes me wildly happy. What other song do you know that makes such fine, daring use of that round wooden percussion instrument with the metal balls that shake throughout the WHOLE song? Bold and awesome.
    I actually am surprised to see Ring Of Fire here at this stage…I mean, it’s iconic but it really doesn’t do much for me at all.

17. Matt B says:

First time voter here, and not sure I understand the whole scoring mechanism, but I’ll say:

Under Pressure tops Bohemian Rhapsody (despite the favorable Wayne’s World associations).

And although Ring of Fire is one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs and Johnny Cash is one of my favorite artists, Stand by Me is just one of the most delightful songs ever. So, not even that close, Stand By Me wins.

MAB

• Matt! Thanks for voting! The scoring mechanism is sorta whatever you want it to be- whatever score between 0 and 10 you feel the song is. But without scores we just consider the winner to get 7 points and the loser to get 5 points. Hope you and Morgan are doing well!

18. bessaface says:

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 8
    #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 4
    BR continues to coast on its nostalgia-based fandom, courtesy of wayne’s world — PRETTY SURE that without the hilarious comedic stylings of dana carvey and mike myers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzUU7SRRsGo), most people in our generation would never have treated this song to a full listen.
    Note that the same cannot be said for the VP’s “ymca” in this timelessly genius scene in the sequel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9h0yGJREY. YMCA is standalone amazing, but the scene just adds to it.

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) – 7
    #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 8
    walk the line is one of my favorite movies. but that’s a chicken-and-egg scenario if i’ve ever heard one.

happy birthday, buddybear!

19. Kate M says:

Happy Birthday G-Mo!!! As my gift I bring you 7 voters, which pumps your current total up to 25. But it is still earlier in the day on your side so anything could happen… Don’t Stop Believin…

One of the interesting things about bringing in new voters is when they don’t vote the way you “want” them too. Be interesting to see how my guest voters swing things… Analyze that in your next Podcast…

Bohemian Rhapsody:
    Kate: 7
    Randy: 10
    Dennys: 5
    Tony: 7
    Dave: 7
    C: 10
    Rakesh: 7

Under Pressure:
    Still kicking myself for not dropping my 11 on Preacherman, so I am unleashing it on my surprise fav. of the tournament. I liked this song before the tournament, but now I love it. In the context of this past month, it has been my theme song. Not only is this catchy but the lyrics are suprising: “And love dares you to care for
    The people on the edge of the night” For multiple reasons this has been my song cranked all the way to 11 this month.

Kate: 11
    Randy: 7
    Dennys: 8
    Tony: 9
    Dave: 8
    C: 7
    Rakesh: 8

Ring of Fire:

At the end of the day, I think music is so woven into context and memory. To prove this point, C gave this song a 2 and told me it reminded him of Iraq. Random connection, but apparently someone in his squad was a big Cash fan…

Kate: 8 Surprised but like many others I find the horns are no longer clever…
    Randy: 8
    Dennys: 8
    Tony: 7
    Dave: 10
    C: 2
    Rakesh: 6

Stand By Me:

Pretty much universal and cross cultural agreement that this song is truly great.

Kate: 10
    Randy: 9
    Dennys: 9
    Tony: 8
    Dave: 8
    C: 9
    Rakesh: 5

20. Kate M says:

G-mo-
    Love you- Love your work
    So here is another voter… #26 perhaps?

Arnie:
    Bohemian Rhapsody: 5.6
    Under Pressure: 7
    Ring of Fire: 7.5
    Stand By Me: 7

• haha you forgot the e-mail voters (which included JP and Americorps Maureen, so far!) and with Arnie’s votes, we just broke our old voters record…and there are still 5 hours left. I am ecstatic 🙂

• (and I tweeted John Cusack this morning and asked him to vote. We will see, but that would make 28 Is Great the best. birthday. ever.)

thank all the Kampala voters for me! So happy we are able to have Uganda involved, it is pretty much the awesomest.

21. Sam says:

#1 Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) – 7
    #5 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) – 9.8

Someone find me a better frontman than Freddy Mercury. Bohemian Rhapsody was his anthem and despite how ingrained the song is in pop culture, those first couple minutes are packed with so much meaning in such simple terms that it is hard not to just fall in love with the song, the band and the man himself.

#3 Stand By Me (Ben E. King) – 9
    #7 Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) – 6.5

I think I’ve been singing Stand by Me to myself since I first saw Timon and Pumba do it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3J9Qlo80yk). And I still get the chills hearing it today. Simple lyrics, simple melody, but packing a punch that still gets to me today.

And unfortunately for Mr. Cash, this isn’t even his best song and i could do without the Mariachi horns, unless of course it comes with free chips/salsa.

22. Carrie says:

Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie): 9
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen): 6.5

Stand By Me (Ben E. King): 6.5
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash): 8

23. Dinah says:

Under Pressure (9.5)
    Bohemian Rhapsody (7.5)

Stand By Me (9.5)
    Ring of Fire (7.5)

24. Bryce says:

Under Pressure: 9.75
    Bohemian Rhapsody: 8 (I do love these two words together as a title)

Stand By Me: 9.5
    Ring of Fire: 7 (I love J. Cash, but don’t love this song so very much)

Holla!

25. Jack says:

Under Pressure- 9
    Bowie tempers Queen’s excesses and gives this song a depth and subtlety every other Queen song lacks. Also marks the first and only time Bowie tempered someone’s excesses. Catchy.

Bohemian Rhapsody- 4.5
    Overwrought. It’s the gaudy, nouveau riche mansion of rock songs.

Stand By Me- 8.5
    Simple, universal, glowing track. Plus there is an eponymous movie with Wil Wheaton.

Ring of Fire- 6.5
    Horns.

under pressure – 6
    bohemian rhapsody – 4

huh, quite the matchup. this required 2 listens. going into it, i was prepared to seriously dock bohemian for cheesiness. and after the first listen, i had some completely unexpected love for it. i realized that it is, in fact, a damn good song that has all sorts of elements of greatness. despite the cheesiness, it still rocks hard. despite the medley-like construction, it flows very well. and despite the happy upbeatedness, it still has emotion. but i still had no idea what scores to give either, so i went for listen #2. i should mention that the first listen was while i was eating lunch, completely focused on the music (and some easter leftovers). i went back to work for the second listen, so it was more of background music. in that case, under pressure felt really good, and bohemian was getting annoying. so there you have it. i don’t feel all that strongly about either of these, and i’m not too psyched on the idea of queen winning the tourney.

stand by me – 10
    ring of fire – 5

ROF is a fantastic song, and i’m thrilled it made it to the final four, but it’s just not meant to be a champion. stand by me is flawless. at the beginning of the tourney, i never would have guessed this would be a top contender. if you randomly asked me to name some of the top 50 songs of all time, it probably would not have even crossed my mind. but i’ve loved it on every listen.

when i think about what should win this tournament, i think it should be a song that fits every mood. those types of songs are hard to come by, and out of these 4, i think stand by me does the best (perhaps followed by under pressure). if i’m in a good mood, it makes me smile & bop my head. if i’m feeling more mellow, i can just close my eyes & soak it in. on the other hand, you’ve got bohemian rhapsody, which can surely be considered “epic”, but it has its time & place. we all have fond memories of drunkenly singing along to it with friends or blasting in the car on a long road trip, but i doubt that even those that give it the highest scores would be sitting alone at home & unwinding on a quiet tuesday evening & think “hmm, what do i want to listen to, how bout a little bohemian rhapsody”. now, i probably wouldn’t think to put on stand by me in that scenario either. but supposing that either of those came on the radio in that moment, i would immediately change the station on bohemian rhapsody, while i’d probably get into the groove of stand by me.

i guess we’ll see how it all plays out… oh, the suspense! : )

27. Clare says:

Ok, I’m STILL unclear on how the scoring works, but Gomo, since it’s your birthday, am giving it a shot.

Ring of Fire: A BILLIONTY. Or, more easily quantified: 9.77.
    Stand By Me: 7.7
    Under Pressure: 8.2
    Bohemian Rhapsody: 7.087
    Bohemian Rhapsody if including headbanging in the car a la Wayne and Garth and red licorice dispenser is involved: 8.408

28. ashley says:

Under Pressure: 7.8
    Bohemian Rhapsody: 9
    Stand By Me: 7
    Ring of Fire: 7.5

I promise I haven’t looked at a single vote, so if I make an impact its purely by coincedence.

Under Pressure (Queen) 5
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 10

Under Pressure is such a good song – but its leagues and leagues away from Bohemian Rhapsody. In an effort to finally say something I shouldn’t here, if AIDS was gooing to take an otherworldly talent from us around that point in time, why couldn’t it have nailed Magic Johnson instead of Freddie? Magic never really did anything good for us after that (and his commentary these days is a joke), but Freddie had so much more in him.

Stand By Me (Ben E. King) 8.8
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) 5.5

Personal stunner. Stand By Me finally got me with a soul left hook and I was left stunned. For some reason, when a song like that hits me, only similar types of songs can get to me – Cash sounded thin and a little childish afterwards… like hearing Zeppelin at the height of their powers, and then trying to listen to self-produced demos from bands who would become legends in their own right years later. I don’t get it, but there it is.

30. Kate G says:

Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie): 8.5
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen): 6

Stand By Me (Ben E. King): 7.5
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash): 6

I could make a snarky comment about this line up of songs but instead I’m going to take note of how delinquent I have been and congratulate you two on a really good job on this thing. Queen is Dead! Long Live David Bowie!

Happy Birthday Gmo!

Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie): 7
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen): 8.2

Stand By Me (Ben E. King): 8.1
    Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash): 10

Ring of fire 8.5
    Stand by me 9

Tough one but no more exams = not as much cash love? I dunno but it wasn’t as awesome this time.

Under pressure 8
    Bohemian rhapsody 8

33. Zac says:

Under Pressure-9.2
    Bohemian Rhapsody-8.1
    Bohemian Rhapsody has lost major points to it’s complete immersion in the public consciousness. To a degree, you can say this of any Queen song because they were a pretty fantastic band, but honestly at this time in my life I’m listening to Under Pressure more. And now I return to studying for my E&M exam and writing my term paper.

Stand By Me-9.3
    Ring of Fire- 10(.5)
    Funnily enough, I was fully prepared to give this to Stand By Me, but the one-act I was in just yesterday gave me a new appreciation for Johnny Cash, and in particular Ring of Fire.

34. Liz says:

Under pressure – 8
    Bohemian rhapsody – 6.5

Stand by me 7
    Ring of fire – 9

Drinking some haterade tonight, clearly 🙂

35. mike says: