Round of 64: Divisions E and F Semi-Finals

Votes are due by 8 pm EST on Wednesday, April 6th: The semi-finals for both Division E and Divison F feature 1 seed vs. 5 seed and 2 seed vs. 3 seed match-ups. And that’s about where the commonality ends. Division E is all over the psychadelic place, whereas Division F would feel right at home on dueling riverboats on the Cumberland in spitting distance of the Grand Ole’ Opry. I can’t make a single prediction on these, and my money’s only on one bet- after an incredible run, Johnny Cash will most definitely suffer his first loss of the Living The Dream Music Tournament today to his first formidable competitor to date. Himself.

Grooveshark link is here except for Here Comes The Sun…vote by commenting on this post or by e-mailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com by 8 pm EST on Wednesday, April 6th. Best of luck to all songs.

Division E Semi-Finals

#1 Beat It (Michael Jackson) vs. #5 Here Comes The Sun (Beatles)

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) vs. #3 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Division F Semi-Finals

#1 The Weight (The Band) vs. #5 Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley)

#2 Hurt (Johnny Cash) vs. #3 Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)

Bonus track: Since it’s Johnny Cash day, I’m including the last original song he wrote and recorded before he passed away at the end of the playlist. You can’t vote on it, but you can sorta shiver at what was going through the Man in Black’s mind in his last year of life. Oof.

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Round of 64: Divisions E and F Semi-Finals

1. crazy chester says:

1 Beat It (Michael Jackson) 7 vs. #5 Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) 6

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 9 vs. #3 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 7

#1 The Weight (The Band) 10 vs. #5 Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 6

#2 Hurt (Johnny Cash) 6 vs. #3 Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 9

Beat It (Michael Jackson) ~ 5.9
    Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) ~ 7.1
    Michael is starting to wear on me.

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) ~ 6.2
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 8.8
    Queen had the whole room singing along.

The Weight (The Band) 7.7
    Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 7.8
    Really enjoyed the Weight, but Suspicious Minds sounded really groovy. I kept changing the scores, but Elvis pulled it out for me.

Hurt (Johnny Cash) ~ 5.9
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 7.5
    Old Johnny sings with alot of emotion, but Young Johnny takes the cake.

Beat It (Michael Jackson) ~ 7

9= Epic
    10= Perfect

Beat It (Michael Jackson) ~ 4.3
    Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) ~ 3

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) ~ 5
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 8.1

No…more… Stairway… so sad, but so necessary.

The Weight (The Band) – 7.5
    Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 9.5

Sometimes, the King just has it going.

Hurt (Johnny Cash) ~ 8.3
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 5.5

Not nearly as good as the Live at Folsom Prison version of the blues, but still a great song. Hurt is just unbelievable.

beat it – 3.5
    here comes the sun – 5.5

stairway to heaven – 8
    bohemian rhapsody – 6 (i would score this higher if animal were singing. i hope you’ve all seen this before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY)

the weight – 9
    suspicious minds – 6.5

hurt – 8.9
    folsom prison blues – 9.3
    the grant-scoring-rubric threw me off a bit here… because i totally think of “hurt”as “epic”. i wouldnt normally call fpb “epic”, but it was the winner in this listen. hmmm.

Beat It (Michael Jackson) 4.5
    Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) 7
    I had a bad day. I needed Here Comes the Sun. It made me feel nice.

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 4.5
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 6

The Weight (The Band) 6.5
    Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 6.75
    This was a tough one! I always forget how much I like select Elvis tunes.

Hurt (Johnny Cash) 3.5
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 6.5
    Hurt is freaking depressing. I like JC’s raspy old man voice in it, though. I also agree with Adrock, that the live version of Folsom Prison Blues is better — it has so much more spirit!

Beat It (Michael Jackson) ~ 7
    Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) ~ 4.5

Here Comes The Sun is sweet and nice but really not that memorable. Beat It on the other hand is infinitely memorable.

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) ~ 5
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 8

Stairway’s buildup is just way too long for me. Bohemian is challenging and both memorable and unique.

The Weight (The Band) 5
    Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 9

Suspicious Minds is so so good. The Band’s version of this song feels so dated.

Hurt (Johnny Cash) ~ 8.5
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 2

Wow, Hurt is a real heart punch. Brilliant and completely raw. Streets ahead of Folsom – that song does nothing for me at all.

10. guillermo olivos says:

#1 Beat It (Michael Jackson) 7
    #5 Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) 3

At many a party that has featured “Beat It,” I have pretended my wrist was tied to my closest friends’ wrist, and forced him into a “jump around in a circle and knife dance fight for the guitar solo” thing. No one ever had a clue what we were doing but went with it. I’m going with it this morning. Here Comes The Sun is definitively halfway between Average and Good for me.

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 7.8
    #3 Bohemian Rhapsody 6.7

I’m not switching to escalators quite yet, but this is a brutal choice. Probably Stairway simply because it came on the radio while I was showering this morning- its actually a pretty solid shower song. Not to sing in the shower, just to have playing while you are showering. If that’s a thing.

#1 The Weight (The Band) 7.7
    #5 Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 7.25

Had to listen to these twice, close. I know people are commenting on the live Folsom Prison Blues vs. the recording, but in the same vein I wanna talk about the Band/Staples “Weight” duet from The Last Waltz.

#2 Hurt (Johnny Cash) 5.8
    #3 Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 9

Aiko said earlier that the beat of “For What It’s Worth” is like a heartbeat. Same thing for Folsom, but like a train across a track.

(The Man Comes Around: Who advises on how he hopes people act after the rapture? Johnny Cash, that’s who. First round draft pick for my celebrity apocalypse survival team in a heartbeat.)

• janos marton says:

He’s one of the few people who can say “I went out walkin’, with a bible and a gun” without worrying me that they will try to assassinate President Obama.

11. Sam says:

1 Beat It (Michael Jackson) 8 vs. #5 Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) 3

#2 Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 9.5 vs. #3 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 9.5

I can’t pick a winner here. Both of these songs would be 1 seeds and potentially the matchup in the finals if I had my way….

#1 The Weight (The Band) 9 vs. #5 Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 5

The Weight makes me think of singing on the beach, which is exactly what/where I want to be right now.

#2 Hurt (Johnny Cash) 8 vs. #3 Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 6.5

Thom Yorke used to say that Radiohead didn’t write “Street Spirit,” but instead that they were just a vessel for the song. I think something similar happened with Hurt, although it took a second try (not to shortchange Reznor) to get it right.

12. Kate M says:

And the votes from the UG corner are:

Beat It:9 vs. Here Comes the Sun: 8
    Hurt: 9 vs. Folsom: 8 (Making me choose between two amazing Johnny Cash songs is just wrong!)
    Weight: 8 vs. Suspicious Minds: 4
    Bohemian: 9 vs. Stairway: 4

G-mo, so much fun! Thanks! And I also am impressed that those only took two weeks to get here!

Beat It (Michael Jackson) 4
    Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) 8
    Here Comes The Sun pulls off that rarest of pop song achievements: happy lyrics with a happy tune without being saccharine.

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 5
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 9
    These songs both embody epicness, but I think Bohemian Rhapsody builds better and rocks harder.

The Weight (The Band) 8
    Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 8.5
    I was not expecting this. The Weight is usually a gimme for me, but today The King got it done just a little bit more.

Hurt (Johnny Cash) 8.5
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 4.5
    Guillermo’s got me, I do love a good onomatopoeic beat, and trains carry a special nostalgia for me, but Hurt just cannot be denied.

14. Ogden says:

5= Really Good
    6= Great
    7= Simply Fantastic
    8= Exceptional
    9= Epic
    10= Perfect

Beat It (Michael Jackson) 3.5 [this dropped a point during Eddie’s solo. We all know who the real powerhouse of that group was, and he spends most of his time in bars trying to convince girls he really is Diamond Dave.]
    Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) 6

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8 [7th-grade nostalgia triumphed today–just needed something easier to listen to.]
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 6 [really, nothing out there that sounds like it and it’s a great song.]

The Weight (The Band) 10 [for 4 minutes 38 seconds, All the stress I had completely washes away, and considering I’ll be up till 3am trying to get a paper together, that’s pretty damn good.]
    Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 7.0 [If the Weight goes down, it goes down with to my favorite Elvis song….].

Hurt (Johnny Cash) 4.5 [this has grown on me- I used to actively dislike Cash’s version]
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 5.6 [this on the other hand, is exactly on point. Although some of the arrangements are weak.]

18. Janos says:

Beat It (Michael Jackson) 7.3
    Here Comes The Sun (Beatles) 8

Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8.2
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) 9.2 Masterful. True contender to win it all?

The Weight (The Band) 8.7
    Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley) 7.4
    Is the “trap” that you want to bang lots of other chicks, but it would be difficult for you get by without your wife? Or is that she’s caught you lying before and doesn’t believe you anymore? I feel for you, King…

Hurt (Johnny Cash) 7.5
    I’m into it, just not “I want this to win the tournament” into it.
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 6.8

Suspicious Minds (Elvis) 4

Hurt (Johnny Cash) 8
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 9

Beat It (Michael Jackson) 5
    Here Comes the Sun (Beatles) 8

• guillermo olivos says:

…but this is unfortunately after the buzzer, Dr. J. Fortunately, there’s no Jimi in this division.