Music Tournament Round of 128: Division L

Paging Carrie Hughes and the rest of Dusty’s base.  Ms. Springfield eviscerated her opponents in the play-in round, Round of 512 and Round of 256.  Now #1 Son of a Preacherman faces #9 The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel), a song with a strong finishing kick.

The rest of Division L was wracked with upsets in the Round of 256, so we may see a very low seed coming out of here.

#13 Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) vs. #12 Another One Bites the Dust (Queen)

#2 Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) vs. #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters)

#14 Come Sail Away (Styx) vs. #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)

The last four artists are all making their last stands.   This is a very fun looking division.  Listen at Grooveshark and vote by commenting below or emailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com by 8pm Monday.

Oh, and since multiple people in the last few days have confessed to me that they lurk this site without voting- it’s time to get over being shy/lazy.  However, as a transitional option, just email me who you think the winners are.  Non score-specific votes (i.e, “Dock of the Bay wins”) attribute 7 points to the winning song and 5 to the losing song.

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Music Tournament Round of 128: Division L

1. Marconi Forever says:

#1 Son of a Preacherman#9 7 vs The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel) 6

#13 Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) 7 vs. #12 Another One Bites the Dust (Queen) 6

#2 Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) 7 vs. #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters) 4

#14 Come Sail Away (Styx) 6 vs. #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 6

2. DrJ says:

Son Of A Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 9.7
    The Boxer (Simon and Garfunkel) 9.8
    Tough one, like them both a lot.

Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix) 10

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding) 9.6
    Everlong (Foo Fighters) 8

Come Sail Away (Styx) 5.9
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 9.3

Son Of A Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 7.5
    The Boxer (Simon and Garfunkel) 7

Close one…the “li l’ li li” is a killer but Dusty’s stronger all in all.

Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix) 4
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 4

I’m not a Hendrix fan at all. I actually also dislike this Queen song and think they have much better in their catalogue. Bleurgh….indifference.

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding) 8
    Everlong (Foo Fighters) 9

Now we’re talking 🙂
    It is super sunny outside so Otis feels pretty great; so nice. I adore the Foos though and LOVE Everlong [1:40 hits me every single time] so this one is super hard for me. Everlong’s chorus just really hits the gritty spot. This goes Mr Grohl’s way for me despite a knee-jerk reaction in the other direction.

Come Sail Away (Styx) 6
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 7

The Van Man is just so wonderfully and shamelessly cheesy. It’s like my Dad busting moves on a wedding day dancefloor. I want to like Sail Away more but the structure of the song is just too weird and disjointed for me.

Danno’s Scores:

Son Of A Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 5.1
    The Boxer (Simon and Garfunkel) 8

Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix) 4.5
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 7.3

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding) 10
    Everlong (Foo Fighters) 6

Otis is awesome, and was going to get a high score anyway. Then Meghan started suggestively pumping her hips to the rhythm at the end. Wish I still had an 11 hanging around. A 10 will have to do.

Come Sail Away (Styx) 9.3
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 7.6

The hips started up again for Van and I thought I was fated to give out another 10… then they quieted down, and Van’s power dropped quickly. On the whole a really solid show, but not nearly enough to outduel Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw and friends.

This is the toughest line-up yet. I think I’ve given 10s to 3 of these songs…

Son Of A Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 10
    The Boxer (Simon and Garfunkel) 9.2
    This match up kills me! I’ve given both of these songs 10s before and had to essentially listen for flaws to pick a winner. There aren’t many. I had to go with Dusty by a hair because her theme is just a little more rock’n’roll (lust & forbidden sexual awakening). Like The Boxer, it gets your heart, but it also gets your gut. Which a song that wins this tournament should.

Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix) 3
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 9
    Speaking of the gut, this Queen song is like repeated punches to it. In the best way possible.

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding) 5
    Everlong (Foo Fighters) 5.5
    I am really hot and cold about this Foo Fighters song. Well, more like lukewarm and cold. Tonight I’m lukewarm.

Come Sail Away (Styx) 9
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 7
    I’ve often said that I would like Come Sail Away (the 3rd song of this round that I’ve previously given a 10) played at seminal moments in my life: my wedding, the birth of any children, my funeral… and maybe the odd moment here and there in between. However, this is also a perfect song to listen to while in the depths of a break-up, or to sing at the top of your lungs with friends in a bar. How can a song that is ultimately about alien abduction be so versatile? I don’t know, but I’m glad that it is.

Son Of A Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 9.6
    The Boxer (Simon and Garfunkel) 8.5

Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix) 6
    Another One Bites The Dust (Queen) 7

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding) 6
    Everlong (Foo Fighters) 4

Come Sail Away (Styx) 6
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 4.5

10. Guillermo says:

#1 Son of a Preacherman (Dusty Springfield) 8
    #9 The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel) 7

Eh these are both solid, but I already think that Dusty’s dominance is going to have some major problems in the near future. This division is f-ing strong.

#13 Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix) 7.3
    #12 Another One Bites the Dust (Queen) 5

Wind Cries Mary, I like a lot more as a result of this tournament. I know voters are swinging all sorts of ways on this, but I’m down with the haunt and the regal allusions. Not feeling Dust this morning.

#2 Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding) 9.25
    #10 Everlong (Foo Fighters) 8.7

The History Of Otis Redding is on my home turntable right now. This song just makes everything ok. Ugh but Everlong is awesome! Damn this tournament, I’m going Otis.

#14 Come Sail Away (Styx) 7.4
    #11 Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison) 8.9

Here’s some more trivia that may or may not get shot down by my co-administrator as widely known: this song was supposed to be called “Blue Eyed Girl” and Van changed it to “Brown” the day of the recording. Oh, also I get angry everytime I hear “laughing and a-running, hey hey” instead of “making love in the green grass”- that switch alone is like a 0.5 point hit.

11. Carrie says:

Shit, I got paged…

Son of a Preacherman: 10
    The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel): 8

Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix): 9
    Another One Bites the Dust: 5

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding): 8
    Everlong (Foo Fighters): 6.5

Come Sail Away (Styx): 5.5
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison): 5.5

Son of a Preacherman: 10
    The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel): 6
    Real nice way to begin my monday. Son of a Preacherman is a phenomenal song.

Wind Cries Mary (Jimi Hendrix): 10
    Another One Bites the Dust: 10
    Both of these songs should advance. Just tremendous musicianship all around…

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding): 10
    Everlong (Foo Fighters): 5.5
    Chills from SotDotB. Why do I love this song so much?

Come Sail Away (Styx): 3.5
    Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison): 10

Maybe it was a whole weekend spent in natural hot spring tubs, but all these songs are blowing my mind right now.

#1 Son of a Preacherman [9]