Music Tournament Round of 256: Division N, Day 1

With bands like AC/DC, Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins, Division N is probably the hardest rocking division in the Round of 256.  Get amped up for the work week with these tunes.

Listen at Grooveshark (except Bullet With Butterfly Wings) and vote by commenting below or emailing LTDdotorg@gmail.com before 8pm Wednesday.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, James Brown, AC/DC, Smashing Pumpkins and the Cranberries face elimination.

Though this version is not permitted for tournament scoring purposes, if you dig U2, treat yourself to one of the great performances of all-time, “Bad” at Live Aid 1985.  Bono’s voice circa 1985 is among the best in rock history.

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) vs. #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley)

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) vs. #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) vs. #13 Bad (U2)

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) vs. #12 Zombie (Cranberries)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Music Tournament Round of 256: Division N, Day 1

1. Lou R.I.P. says:

1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 8 vs. #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 6

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 7 vs. #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 7

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 6 vs. #13 Bad (U2) 6

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 7 vs. #12 Zombie (Cranberries) 6

Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 8.5
    Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 6

Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 4
    Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 8.5
    Some days Paint it Black would be a 9 or higher… But songs that are up on Monday just get the short end of the stick.

You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 6.5
    Bad (U2) 6

Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 9.5
    Zombie (Cranberries) 8
    This is truly tough. Both songs just rip right into you in a way that, for some reason, I found pretty off putting as a teenager but I completely dig as an adult. But I’ve gotta give it to the SPs. Someone who can still make me, an ostensible professional in my late twenties, fist-pump a heartfelt “Fuck yeah” to the lyrics, “Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage…” Well. Hat’s off, vote’s up.

(On a final note, I always think that I should toss in an extra point to the song of the set that’s stuck in my head the next day, and while I won’t know that until tomorrow, my money’s on Zombie. I think I’ve just barely recovered from that from the last round.)

3. Marc says:

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 8.5
    #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 7

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 6.5
    #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 8

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 7.5
    #13 Bad (U2)6.5

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 6
    #12 Zombie (Cranberries) 8

Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 10
    Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 6
    Under the Bridge was exactly what I needed this morning. I’ma gonna listen to it again.

Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 9
    Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 8
    Awesome matchup. James’ energy takes it though, even though Mitch brings some serious animal intensity at times during PIB.

You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 8.9
    Bad (U2) 6
    AC/DC is just so mothersuckin-in’ rockin’, while Bad is all twinkly and surreal. No contest.

Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 1
    Zombie (Cranberries) 9.9
    Anything to get Billy Corgin out of the tournament. He brings me down so much, what a shitty way to round out the lineup. Zombie, on the other hand, fills me with joy. You haven’t lived until you’ve heard an entire nightclub full of drunken Thai people scream along to that song at the top of their lungs…

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 8.5
    #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 5.5

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 6
    #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 8

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 8.5
    #13 Bad (U2) 7

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 8
    #12 Zombie (Cranberries) 7.5

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 7
    #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 6.3

Blah. How on earth did this get a #1?

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 7.8
    #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 8.8

For an 8-9 matchup, amazing. Paint it Black is one of those crazy songs that I either love or hate. This was definitely one of those all up days, where I was reliving college moments, and remembering the W.A.S.P. cover of Paint it Black (one of the WORST covers of anything, EVER, as Janos can attest) and was loving it all the way. Tough call for JB, who never fails to make me happy, but just doesn’t have the upside.

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 9.8
    #13 Bad (U2) 7.7

For my money, the absolute best AC/DC song in a pretty spectacular catalog (if tragically underrepresented here). Only gets dinged from a 10 because Bon Scott would’ve been better. Bad was really good, but just isn’t the same level of pump for me. Totally agree on the live performance though.

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 5
    #12 Zombie (Cranberries) 9

Crazy nostalgia points for Zombie, combined with just not liking the Pumpkins.

7. virgil102 says:

Under the Bridge 9.5 Don’t be cruel 5
    Papa’s Got a brand new bag 6.5 Paint it Black 10
    You Shook Me all night long 10 Bad 6.2
    Bullet with Butterfly wings 7 Zombie 6.6

Some of my very favorite songs playing in the same day. THis bracket is going to be tough on me.

8. Guillermo says:

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 9.5
    #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 5

Not too many songs that channel my inner pre-Wal-Mart Mossimo like this one.

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 6
    #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 7.5

Thought PIB would go higher.

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 9.5
    #13 Bad (U2) 9

Both great songs- edge to AC/DC because its a better “I’m having a great day” tune.

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 9
    #12 Zombie (Cranberries) 7.25

I totally thought I’d go Cranberries. But the end is really drawn out. And I suddenly remembered why I used to listen to Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness every night as I went to bed in 1996, or why I got grounded at the time for teaching my 4 year old brother to jump up and down and scream “DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RAT IN A CAGE.” No, I’m not ready to see the Pumpkins to leave our modest competition just quite yet. If it’s gonna be anything in the 128, it’s gonna be their best one.

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 9
    #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 6

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 6
    #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 7.5

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 9.3
    #13 Bad (U2) 10

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 8.1
    #12 Zombie (Cranberries) 6.8

10. sweetems says:

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 7
    #16 Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) 8 (I have a cold and this is happy.)

#8 Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 6.5
    #9 Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 8

#4 You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 7
    #13 Bad (U2) 8.5 (a slow burner, and would have gotten higher but I think some of Bono’s vocals come off a bit campy– ie “wide awake!” )

#5 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 8
    #12 Zombie (Cranberries) 9 [jesus. where the hell did this come from?)

#1 Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) [8.75]

Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) 6
    Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) 7

You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) 9
    Bad (U2) 6

Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) 6
    Zombie (Cranberries) 7

Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) vs. Don’t Be Cruel (Elvis Presley) = 7 to 8

Papa’s Gotta Brand New Bag (James Brown) vs. Paint It Black (Rolling Stones) = 6 to 8

You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) vs. Bad (U2) = 8.5 to 8

Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Smashing Pumpkins) vs. Zombie (Cranberries) = 2 to 3