Division K, Day 3, Round of 512

I feel pretty good saying we are closing out Division K with a bang. I struggled over choosing a picture for the post…you’ll probably see why in the match-ups, lotta recognizable and prolific images associated with these songs and artists. Grooveshark link is here, votes are due by Saturday, 1/22, at 8:00 PM. Follow your heart and best of luck to all songs.

Better Man (Pearl Jam) vs. What’s The Matter Here (10,000 Maniacs)

Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z) vs. Killing Me Softly (The Fugees)

Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols) vs. One Last Caress (Misfits)

Black or White (Michael Jackson) vs. Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads)

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) vs. The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Division K, Day 3, Round of 512

Black or White (Michael Jackson) – 8
    Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) – 9.5

Around the Dial (Kinks) – 9
    We Built This City On Rock and Roll (Jefferson Starship) – 9

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) – 6.5
    The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips) – 8
    This song’s about George W. Bush, btw.

5. Ryan Quinnelly says:

We Built This City On Rock and Roll (Jefferson Starship) 4.5

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 5.5
    The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips) 5.5

6. Nick says:

Better Man (Pearl Jam) 7
    What’s The Matter Here (10,000 Maniacs) 4
    I keep thinking I don’t like Pearl Jam, then listen to it and really grok it. Not so, 10,000 Maniacs…

Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z) 2
    Killing Me Softly (The Fugees) 8.5
    Sorry Jay-Z, your weakass NY anthem and lazy flow bore me to tears. Lauryn Hill, you may not like Whitey, but at least you got talent and soul.

Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols) 6
    One Last Caress (Misfits) 7
    Good matchup. Early punk isn’t all that much fun outside a bar, both songs sound really dated.

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 8
    Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) 6
    Surprised by how good Black or White still sounds. Mike’s last hurrah takes this one. Once in a Lifetime struggles mightily, love the message, not as cohesive or listenable though, much more dated and repetitive.

Around the Dial (Kinks) 5.5
    We Built This City On Rock and Roll (Jefferson Starship) 6.5
    Around the Dial must have been awesome when it came out. Not so much in 2011. The same goes for Jefferson Starship. This song is so lame now that its actually boomeranged back to being cool. I give it the edge because of BurningMan nostalgia and building a city on hip hop and funk.

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 10
    The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips) 5
    Manu Chao is one of those artists I can always listen to, and can listen to this song over and over again, back to back. I love to dance to his music, to sing it to myself. I just love this guy. Flaming Lips are one of the best live shows ever, and their songs are super fun, but not even close.

Better Man (Pearl Jam) 8
    What’s The Matter Here (10,000 Maniacs) 3
    Pearl Jam are just one of those bands that I never really find myself wanting to listen to for some reason. Perhaps that should change.

Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z) 7
    Killing Me Softly (The Fugees) 9
    Although Empire has become a karaoke favourite of late amongst my group of friends, this is – for me – the defining Fugees track. It’s even more memorable than Toni Collette busting it out with eyes closed in ‘About A Boy’

Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols) 5
    One Last Caress (Misfits) 4
    I know it’s cool to like the Sex Pistols but, well, I don’t really. Misfits tracks sounds AGES old

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 9
    Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) 7
    Black or White still sounds awesome: ee-heee! The sheer irony of him singing this song deserves a spot in the dictionary next to the word itself. Weird how some songs sound like they were released when dinosaurs roamed and others sound like they could be released today and still hit hard.

Around the Dial (Kinks) 4
    We Built This City On Rock and Roll (Jefferson Starship) 7
    Jefferson Starship: yes! Cheese of the highest order.

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 4
    The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips) 7
    My soft spot for the Flaming Lips makes this one easy.

Better Man (Pearl Jam) 0.01 vs. What’s The Matter Here (10,000 Maniacs) 5

Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z) 6.5 vs. Killing Me Softly (The Fugees) 8

Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols) 9 vs. One Last Caress (Misfits) 7

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 7 vs. Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) 3

Around the Dial (Kinks) 7 vs. We Built This City On Rock and Roll (Jefferson Starship) 8.5

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 6 vs. The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips) 6.5

Better Man (Pearl Jam) 8
    What’s The Matter Here (10,000 Maniacs) 3.5 [this kept getting worse.]

Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z) 6
    Killing Me Softly (The Fugees) 7.5

Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols) 5 [more polished then I remember]
    One Last Caress (Misfits) 6.5

Black or White (Michael Jackson) 4.5 [the spoken-rap in the middle knocked it down]
    Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) 6.5 [great riff, but the drums were distracting]

Around the Dial (Kinks) 8
    We Built This City On Rock and Roll (Jefferson Starship) 7.5

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) 5.5
    The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips) 8

10. Kate says:

Better Man 7
    What’s the Matter Here 5

Empire State of Mind 7.5
    Killing Me Softly 8.5

Anarchy in the US 4 (anxiety-inducing. better played while demolishing a house)
    Last Caress 5

Black or White 9.5
    Once in a Lifetime 8.5

Around the Dial 7.5
    We Built This City 8

Me Gustas 8.5
    The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song 8

Better Man (Pearl Jam) vs. What’s The Matter Here (10,000 Maniacs) = 4 to 5

Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z) vs. Killing Me Softly (The Fugees) = 6.5 to 6

Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols) vs. One Last Caress (Misfits) = 6.5 to 8.5
    The key to ‘One Last Caress’ – turn it up as loud as humanely possible when Glenn belts out the Elvis-esque “ooooonee lasst carrreessssss….”
    Metallica’s version is also really good.

Black or White (Michael Jackson) vs. Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) = 6.5 to 8.5

Around the Dial (Kinks) vs. We Built This City On Rock and Roll (Jefferson Starship) = 5 to 5

Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao) vs. The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song (Flaming Lips) = 6 to 5

12. guillermo says:

Damn it- I have got to get internet at my house and stop racking up data service bills on my phone. I only feel right about voting on the match-up of which I have both songs on my iPod.

Black or White- 7.5
    Once In A Lifetime- 6

BW has a great kick at the beginning. But at the end of it, I am confused as to how a song so awesome 2 minutes before became so boring.

Once In A Lifetime is fun, I had it on a mixtape I listened to constantly when I was 15 and did Machu Piccu and needed to hear something american. But this does nothing for me 12 yrs later. 6 for nostalgia.