Living The Dream Music Tournament: Division K, Day 2

Onward and onward. Division K continues on with a little bit of everything, some mellow matchups, some punk rock, and some in the middle. Grooveshark playlist is here, votes are due by Friday the 21st at 8 pm.

The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon) vs. Harnessed in Slums (Archers of Loaf)

What A Day That Was (Talking Heads) vs. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Beach Boys)

Roots of Radicals (Rancid) vs. Southern Cross (Crosby, Stills, and Nash)

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Waiting Room (Fugazi)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Living The Dream Music Tournament: Division K, Day 2

1. Sarah Smith & Jeremy Gordon says:

Simon: 7.25
    Archers of Loaf (whhhaaat is this and where did you find it – sarah) ( it’s so hot – jeremy) 7

Talking Heads: 4
    Beach Boys: 7 (kudos for being a short song)

Rancid: 2.5
    CSN: 6.75

Stevie: 9
    fugazi: 1.5
    (sorry fugazi, tough match up. stevie kicked your ass)

Joe: 5
    Stones; 9

• janos marton says:

When I was about 13 or 14, my good buddy’s older sister was a hot, hip indie rock girl. We heard all kinds of shit we wouldn’t understand for years. Sortof Almost Famous-like. That’s when I first heard Harnessed in Slums. And Waiting Room, which ya’ll were not huge fans of…

First of all, this the best looking set of match-ups I’ve seen all tournament, so warning: high scores ahead.

Boy in the Bubble: 8
    Harnessed in Slums: 9.5
    Both great musically, both great lyrically. Got to give it to Harnessed, though- it still sounds fresh as hell 15 years later- “With thugs and scum and punks and freaks,
    They’re harnessed in slums but they want to be free.”

What A Day It Was: 8 Love “Stop Making Sense”, just love it. Always felt the remixing done between the live show and studio hurt this song. Check out the live clip here- it’s epic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJgt8rLMC4
    Wouldn’t It Be Nice: 7

Roots of Radicals: 9
    Southern Cross: 8
    Ok, I’m starting to have trouble with why some of these songs are matched up against each-other. The difference in tempo between these two couldn’t be starker.

For Once In My Life: 8.5
    Waiting Room: 7.5

Johnny Appleseed: 9 “If you want the honey, than you can’t go killing all the bees.” Joe Strummer kept it real for his whole life. Not a lot of folks can say that, especially rock stars.
    Moonlight Mile: 8.5

Moonlight Mile – 4

5. Jim Rock says:

The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon) vs. Harnessed in Slums (Archers of Loaf) 5:4

What A Day That Was (Talking Heads) vs. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Beach Boys) 5:8

Roots of Radicals (Rancid) vs. Southern Cross (Crosby, Stills, and Nash) 5:7

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Waiting Room (Fugazi) 7:7

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros) vs. Moonlight Mile (Rolling Stones) 6:7

the boy in the bubble: 8
    harnessed in slums: 4

what a day that was: 8
    wouldn’t it be nice: 4

roots of radicals: 8.5
    southern cross: 9

for once in my life: 5
    waiting room: 5.5

johnny appleseed: 8
    moonlight mile: 7

The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon) vs. Harnessed in Slums (Archers of Loaf) = 6.5 to 6.5
    Both pretty good songs. Gotta listen to this Archers of Loaf song a few more times.

What A Day That Was (Talking Heads) vs. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Beach Boys) = 6.5 to 7.5
    If you’re from Michigan, you probably saw “Roger and Me” when it came out, even though you were too young to understand it. It’s hard to think of this song and not think of that movie. Michael Moore has gone off the deep end but he always deserves respect for that movie and putting it out when he did.

Roots of Radicals (Rancid) vs. Southern Cross (Crosby, Stills, and Nash) = 7 to 4
    Big fan of CSN(&Y), but not this one I guess. Will have to give it a few more listens. I know I kinda hated on Rancid in an earlier post, but I need to appreciate that they always kept it pretty real. A little too character-ized for me, and never understood why they made music videos, but they never changed course, have the roots, and definitely put out records for a lot of bands who deserved it. Any band that name drops Desmond Dekker in a song got it going on.

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) vs. Waiting Room (Fugazi) = 8 to 10
    I know that Stevie’s masterstroke is gonna win here, but ‘Waiting Room’ is it for me. If I have to take back my other 10s in this tournament for this, I will. I didn’t see this coming in this competition. I ordered the first EP from Dischord for $6 the summer between 8th and 9th grade. Once I put the needle on the record I never looked at the world in the same way again. Now, that may sound a little over the top, but it’s the truth. Ever since then I’ve followed some paths as opposed to others, and I can attribute a lot of it to the things this band made me think about way back when. So I will put in a word for Fugazi before they go down in flames in this tournament – do your thing, do it for the right reasons, and do it well. Everything else will work out after that.

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros) vs. Moonlight Mile (Rolling Stones) = 6.5 to 6.5
    I should listen to more solo Joe Strummer. Never heard either of these songs. Good stuff.

8. guillermo olivos says:

sorta tired + bummer end of my day = match-ups, you better be right on, or else.

The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon) 1

Roots of Radicals – 5
    Southern Cross – 7

For Once in My Life – 8.5
    Waiting Room – 4

Johnny Appleseed – 8
    Moonlight Mile –7

The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon) 3.5 vs. Harnessed in Slums (Archers of Loaf) 7

What A Day That Was (Talking Heads) 5 vs. Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Beach Boys) 7

Roots of Radicals (Rancid) 5 vs. Southern Cross (Crosby, Stills, and Nash) 5 While there is nothing really wrong with Roots, whenever this song comes on I always wish that I was listening to this instead:

For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder) 8 vs. Waiting Room (Fugazi) 7 This is a really odd pairing!

Johnny Appleseed (Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros) 9 vs. Moonlight Mile (Rolling Stones) 6

11. sweetems says:

far too many funky bass parts in this line-up for me, but:

The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon) : 5.5 (good lyrics)
    Harnessed in Slums (Archers of Loaf) 2