Day 38 (Round of 512)

Just setting up this playlist had me tapping my foot and nodding my head in anticipation- this is really good stuff, on a lot of levels and through many decades. Day 2 of Division H, all songs available on the Grooveshark playlist.

Voting will close at 8pm on the 12th.

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) vs. Idioteque (Radiohead)

Lose Yourself (Eminem) vs. Hit ‘Em Up (2Pac)

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Postal Service) vs. Sinnerman (Nina Simone)

No Rain (Blind Melon) vs. Rudie Can’t Fail (The Clash)

One Tin Soldier (Joan Baez) vs. Psycho Killer (The Talking Heads)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Day 38 (Round of 512)

1. Sippy says:

1 vote for Lose Yourself

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) vs. Idioteque (Radiohead) = 8.5 to 4
    Was always much bigger early Who fan than the 70s stuff that could be a little repetitive, but when after I saw them kick out the jams at the Concert for New York City (on tv), well, it made me feel a lot stronger about this song. I appreciate Radiohead for trying new things, but those guys really gotta lighten up.

Lose Yourself (Eminem) vs. Hit ‘Em Up (2Pac) = 7 to 2
    It’s impossible to forgive a lot of the nonsense that comes out of Eminem’s mouth, but when’s he’s on he’s on. 2Pac should’ve stayed in the Digital Underground. Mom’s spaghetti.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Postal Service) vs. Sinnerman (Nina Simone) = 7 to 4

No Rain (Blind Melon) vs. Rudie Can’t Fail (The Clash) = 5 to 8
    Can’t hate on Blind Melon too much – definitely appreciated the positivity.

One Tin Soldier (Joan Baez) vs. Psycho Killer (The Talking Heads) = 4 to 7.5

3. Mark says:

OK – I’m in!

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) vs. Idioteque (Radiohead) = 4 to 6
    Kid A really isn’t my favourite Radiohead phase but I do like Idioteque quite a lot. Baba doesn’t do a lot for me.

Lose Yourself (Eminem) vs. Hit ‘Em Up (2Pac) = 7 to 1
    I think Eminem is a little scamp of a genius. No contest. I am in no way built to appreciate 2Pac.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Postal Service) vs. Sinnerman (Nina Simone) = 9 to 2
    This PS track is my favourite from what I think is one of the most solid modern albums made in our years. Sorry, Nina – this track is obnoxiously long.

No Rain (Blind Melon) vs. Rudie Can’t Fail (The Clash) = 5 to 6
    I can’t help it. No Rain kind of makes me smile. I don’t know what’s up with that. Regardless, The Clash was always going to win this one.

One Tin Soldier (Joan Baez) vs. Psycho Killer (The Talking Heads) = 4 to 6
    First time I’ve knowingly heard One Tin Soldier. Goodish. Psycho Killer = a goodie.

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) 9

Rudie Can’t Fail [8]

One Tin Soldier [6]
    Psycho Killer [9]

6. Jacob says:

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) 8 vs. Idioteque (Radiohead)6

Lose Yourself (Eminem)5 vs. Hit ‘Em Up (2Pac)5

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Postal Service) 5vs. Sinnerman (Nina Simone)

No Rain (Blind Melon)6 vs. Rudie Can’t Fail (The Clash)6

Sinnerman [9]

No Rain [7.5]
    Rudie Can’t Fail [6]

One Tin Soldier [5]
    Psycho Killer [8.5]

10. Janos says:

Baba O’Reilly 9 Did Baba cut off two minutes early for anyone else? Definitely not a song where that should be happening.
    Idioteque 8

Lose Yourself 8
    Hit ‘em Up 7

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight 7.5
    Sinnerman 6

No Rain 7
    Rudie Can’t Fail 8.5

One Tin Soldier 8
    Psycho Killer 7.5
    Both very good songs- this was a tough one.

11. Nick says:

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) 9
    Idioteque (Radiohead) 7.5
    Baba is awesome in so many ways. Cut off for me though, so I had to listen to my own version for completion. Idioteque is good, one of my favorite Radiohead songs, but can’t compare to the Who’s tour de force though.

Lose Yourself (Eminem) 7.5
    Hit ‘Em Up (2Pac) 3
    Eminem’s most accessible song, vs. everything that is wrong with hip hop. I only gave it more than 1 because aside from its lyrical content, its a decent song, and P Diddy deserves to get called a punk as often as possible. Still, can’t forgive 2Pac for setting hip hop back a decade with this song.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Postal Service) 7
    Sinnerman (Nina Simone) 6
    I like the District, but its already sounding dated and its only a few years old. Nina is rad, didn’t really dig this song as much as I wanted to.

No Rain (Blind Melon) 7.5
    Rudie Can’t Fail (The Clash) 7
    No Rain is such a sweet song, too bad about the heroin. I liked Rudie Can’t Fail alot better than most of the Clash songs I’ve heard, still doesn’t match the nostalgia of BM.

One Tin Soldier (Joan Baez) 6
    Psycho Killer (The Talking Heads) 6
    Great lyrics to One Tin Soldier, not feeling the instrumentals. Opposite with Psycho Killer, dig the instrumentals but not the lyrics. Both sound a bit dated, maybe its the production…

12. gmotellsthestory says:

Two complaints is enough to convince me. Just replaced Baba with another Baba, and listened to it all the way through to make sure it was good. Sorry about that. Stupid GrooveShark.

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) 8.5 vs. Idioteque (Radiohead) 6.5

Lose Yourself (Eminem) 5 vs. Hit ‘Em Up (2Pac) 2.5

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Postal Service) 6.5 vs. Sinnerman (Nina Simone)8.5

No Rain (Blind Melon) 8 vs. Rudie Can’t Fail (The Clash) 8

One Tin Soldier (Joan Baez) 8 vs. Psycho Killer (The Talking Heads) 7

Baba O’Reilly (The Who) 7
    Idioteque (Radiohead) 7

Lose Yourself (Eminem) 9
    Hit ‘Em Up (2Pac) 6

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Postal Service) 4.5
    Sinnerman (Nina Simone) 6.5

No Rain (Blind Melon) 8.5
    Rudie Can’t Fail (The Clash) 9.0

One Tin Soldier (Joan Baez) 3.0 ok song but horrific version.
    here’s the original version:

rudie can’t fail: 6

one tin soldier: 4
    psycho killer: 8

16. Guillermo says:

Baba O’Reilly 8
    Idioteque 5

Let’s get together before we get much older. I will never not love having the windows down and driving into the sun with this song on. Idioteque…well, it certainly sounds like the future. If the future has a lot of echoes, squeaks, and repetition, and robots make music about the order of evacuation from a sinking ship. I have it on a couple mix cd’s and all, but it didn’t hit today.

Lose Yourself 8.5
    Hit ‘Em Up 5

Tour de force. This is the defining Eminem song, and maybe the Joseph Campbell hero mythology song of rap in general. Anyone who has ever overcome adversity can find some truth in Verse 3- so basically everyone. Hit ‘Em Up is fine, but I care much more about the Eminem narrative than about the fact that 2Pac doesn’t like Biggie.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight 5.5
    Sinnerman 8.5

TDSAT is my 6th favorite song on Give Up, behind Such Great Heights, Nothing Better, Sleeping In, We Will Become Silhouettes, and Brand New Colony. On a 10 track album that isn’t the Blue Album (I promise to stop talking about Weezer soon, its just on the mind,) not saying a lot. I recognize that Sinnerman is long, and it hurts its staying power/endurance in a nine round tournament, but it is just so damn good. Drawn out crescendo. The slowdown and speed up between 4:00 and 6:00 is artistry at its finest. I have a New Orleans bias and this is a Gulf Coast song, steeped in that deft and lovely combination of religion and jazz. 8.5

No Rain 9
    Rudie Can’t Fail 7

Did not expect to give Blind Melon that high of a score- hit the mood. RCF sounds just like I Fought The Law but with more Christmas instruments, if that makes any sense.

One Tin Soldier 6
    Psycho Killer 6

No comment, I don’t see either of these songs advancing past the Round of 256.

17. Cristina says:

Baba O’Reilly 8.5
    Idioteque 10

Lose Yourself 6.5
    Hit ‘Em Up 8.5
    “I ain’t a killer but don’t push me” <—Amazing opening line.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight 8.5