Living the Dream Music Tournament: Day 33 (Round of 512)

Division F finishes up tonight.  My apologies for the late posting- 2011 has gotten off to a busy start, and I fear it may get busier.  Guillermo has kindly offered to help run the show, and I thought Division G would be an appropriate time for him to take over.

Listen to tonight’s picks here and vote by commenting below. In light of the late voting, we’ll keep voting on this open till midnight-ish on Friday.

The Weight (The Band) vs. Someday Never Comes (CCR)

White Room (Cream) vs. Alive (Pearl Jam)

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) vs. Man in Me (Bob Dylan)

Uncle John’s Band (Grateful Dead) vs. Rock ‘n Roll (Velvet Underground)

I Held Her In My Arms (Violent Femmes) vs.  That’s What I Like About You (Romantics)

This entry was posted in Music Tournament and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Living the Dream Music Tournament: Day 33 (Round of 512)

1. Phish Hater says:

The Weight (The Band) 9 vs. Someday Never Comes (CCR) 6

White Room (Cream) 7 vs. Alive (Pearl Jam) 6

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 8 vs. Man in Me (Bob Dylan) 8 This should benefit from a Big Lebowski bump. You should have pitted this song up against the Eagles.

Uncle John’s Band (Grateful Dead) 7 vs. Rock ‘n Roll (Velvet Underground) 8

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Meatloaf) 6 vs. Come on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) 6

I Held Her In My Arms (Violent Femmes) 6 vs. That’s What I Like About You (Romantics) 4

2. Margot says:

The Weight – 9
    Someday Never Comes – 6

White Room – 5
    Alive – 6.5

Folsom Prison Blues – 8.5
    Man in Me – 6

Uncle John’s Band – 6.5
    Rock & Roll – 8

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth – 7.5
    Come On Eileen – 8.5

I Held Her in My Arms – 7.5
    What I Like About You – 5

The Weight (The Band) vs. Someday Never Comes (CCR) 9 to 2.5
    John isn’t even singing on key in this one.

White Room (Cream) vs. Alive (Pearl Jam) 8 to 9.5

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) vs. Man in Me (Bob Dylan) 7 to 8

Uncle John’s Band (Grateful Dead) vs. Rock ‘n Roll (Velvet Underground) = 1 to 7
    Doing lots of drugs in Cali vs. doing lots of drugs in NYC

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Meatloaf) vs. Come on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) = 5 to 7

I Held Her In My Arms (Violent Femmes) vs. That’s What I Like About You (Romantics) = 7.5 to 7.5
    I was somehow unaware of this Violent Femmes tune – good stuff!! This Romantics Song is awesome too. Tie.

4. Janos says:

The Weight – 9 I’ll see you in the quarterfinals, Weight.
    Someday Never Comes – 7.5

White Room – 8
    Alive – 8 That guitar riff to close out is nasty- would have thought White Room would win easily for me.

Folsom Prison Blues – 7.5
    Man in Me – 7

Uncle John’s Band – 8.5
    Rock & Roll – 7.5

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth – 8.5
    Come On Eileen – 7

I Held Her in My Arms – 9 High score of the day for me. The energy level is just perfect, and the theme is amazing. “I can’t even remember, if we were lovers, or if I just wanted to. But I held her in my arms, I held in my arms, I held her in my arms, but was it you?”
    What I Like About You – 6

5. Jordan says:

The Weight [8]
    Someday Never Comes [7]

White Room [8]
    Alive [6]

Folsom Prison Blues [7]
    Man in Me [8]

Uncle John’s Band [4]
    Rock n Roll [9]

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth [6]
    Come on Eileen [7]

I Held Her in My Arms [5]
    That’s What I Like About You [6]

The Weight – 8 Love this song, but if you’re in an energy mood, this can suffer an upset
    Someday Never Comes – 7

White Room – 7.5
    Alive – 8.5 Sad to go against one of my all time favorite clapton riffs, but Alive was money this evening

Folsom Prison Blues – 9 One of Cash’s absolute best (though like the actual live version better)
    Man in Me – 7

Uncle John’s Band – 5
    Rock & Roll – 8 Don’t think i’ ve ever heard this song before (no idea how that’s possible), but was really feeling it

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth – 8 great memories of singing this drunk with the head of our alumni association, before he became a jackoff… stunning win for me
    Come On Eileen – 6.5 great start, but it tails off a bit late for me

I Held Her in My Arms – 4.5
    What I Like About You – 7.5

The Weight – 8
    Someday Never Comes – 6.5

White Room – 7.5
    Alive – 9

Folsom Prison Blues – 8 (although the live version recorded at Folsom Prison is much better. It has more spirit)
    Man in Me – 7

Uncle John’s Band – 2.5 I never realized how much I dislike the Grateful Dead.
    Rock & Roll – 5

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth – 4 The dialogue at the beginning creeped me out a little.
    Come On Eileen – 9

uncle john’s band: 6
    rock ‘n roll: 8

you took the words right out of my mouth: 4
    come on eileen: 6

i held her in my arms: 8
    that’s what i like about you: 6

rock & roll and i held her in my arms were both first-listen winners for me. i do love the dead, but they just aren’t meant for rock tournaments.

10. Nick says:

The Weight – 8
    Someday Never Comes – 6
    Great song by The Band on many levels, vs. one of the more annoying songs CCR recorded. I LOVE me some Credence, just can’t take the singing on Someday…

White Room – 8.5
    Alive – 5
    Clapton is DOG! Such a great song… Eddie Vedder is pretty hit or miss with me. Alive was a miss.

Folsom Prison Blues – 8
    Man in Me – 8.5
    I’m pretty sure Johnny’ll take this one, but this is my favorite Dylan Song, so I had to give it some props.

Uncle John’s Band – 8
    Rock & Roll – 3
    VU does nothing for me. The Dead is cool. I wish I could have seen them live.

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth – 5
    Come On Eileen – 7.5
    I keep wanting to like songs, then being disappointed by them. Come on Eileen was as good as I remembered though…

I Held Her in My Arms – 4
    What I Like About You – 9
    I know its corny, but I just love WILAY. IHHiMA bugged me.

11. Mark says:

The Weight [9]
    Someday Never Comes [6.5]
    The Weight is looking to be a serious contender here.

White Room [8]
    Alive [8.5]

Folsom Prison Blues [7.5]
    Man in Me [6.5]

Uncle John’s Band [5]
    Rock n Roll [6.5]

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth [5.5]
    Come on Eileen [8]

I Held Her in My Arms [5]
    That’s What I Like About You [6.5]

12. brian says:

The Weight (The Band) vs. Someday Never Comes (CCR) = 9:8 (This is by FAR, in my opinion, CCR’s worst song – which means it’s better than virtually every song)

White Room (Cream) vs. Alive (Pearl Jam) = 7:8

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) vs. Man in Me (Bob Dylan) = 10:9 (Folsom is a bordeline flawless song, but Man in Me has some power… just not in love with Dylan’s voice in this one or the instrumental… compared to other Dylan)

Uncle John’s Band (Grateful Dead) vs. Rock ‘n Roll (Velvet Underground) = 9:4 (I used to listen to this song on tape in my sister’s bedroom when I was a kid, so whether or not it’s a “9,” it’s a 9 to me. Velvet is bordeline unlistenable to me. I dunno)

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Meatloaf) vs. Come on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) = 4:8 (Don’t like the Loaf of long, stupid intros… Come On is pretty damn happy, legendary and unselfconscious. Bonus points for being in Tommy Boy)

I Held Her In My Arms (Violent Femmes) vs. That’s What I Like About You (Romantics) = 9:8 (Might fight to get this song in my wedding playlist in roughly 20 years… toes the line with some lyrics, but hey… it’s sweet. I dig the “I can’t even remember… if we were lovers or if… I just wanted tooooooo…. but I held her in my arms x 3 but it wasn’t yooouu” chokes me the fuck up. Hits close to home for hopeless romantics who black out a ton. Also “gnawing on the knowledge” – sick. Romantics is a bit more poppy and upbeat… less complicated…)

The Weight – 10. This song has never failed me and always takes the load off…fanny. If there was ever a song meant to make everything ok, this is probably it.
    Someday Never Comes – 8.0 (this scrapes against cheesy sentiment in too many places)

White Room – 6.5 (Clapton’s Wawa was distracting but the overall mood was right with me… I just don’t think the production on this aged well–note the lack of bass on the drums….do we judge in context? Somewhat yes, but here it didn’t work for me)
    Alive – 9.5 (that opening riff always reminds me I’m about to enjoy this song, and I always end up at least mouthing the chorus.)

Folsom Prison Blues – 8. my foot’s already tapping and I know every damn word. Why isn’t this the live version though? That would get higher from me- amazing energy and meaning and the little clean guitars riffs aren’t as pokey.
    Man in Me – 7. Great song off an entirely underrated album New Morning. Ever listened to Day of the Locusts–or read the book, actually? You should do both. One of the better graduation songs ever.

Uncle John’s Band – 6 (great song, but not strongest on it’s own out of context)
    Rock & Roll – 8 (how many w/Nico songs are in this tourney, b/c they’re the real gems… Also I think covers of sweet jane are superior than Lou’s version)

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth – 6. Just didn’t get me involved today until the breakdown.
    Come On Eileen – 5.5. Sometimes production is too good. It sounds like vampire weekend.

I Held Her in My Arms – 9 (This song hits hard bt builds and everytime it hits the second chorus I get a little chill. Makes me wanna dance. What was with the intro though? I’ve never heard that before.)
    What I Like About You – 3 (What I like about unoriginal, uninteresting, bland, shitty lyrics over uninteresting, repetatitve, stupid, fucking chords that isn’t even punk? ) Nope. [seems harsh but it’s amazing when it was a derivitive song EVEN at the time it came out.]

The Weight (The Band) 9 vs. Someday Never Comes (CCR) 5

White Room (Cream) 8 vs. Alive (Pearl Jam) 1

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 9.5 vs. Man in Me (Bob Dylan) 6.5

Uncle John’s Band (Grateful Dead) 1 vs. Rock ‘n Roll (Velvet Underground) 9

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Meatloaf) 6 vs. Come on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) 8.5

I Held Her In My Arms (Violent Femmes) 6.5 vs. That’s What I Like About You (Romantics) 8.5

Pearl Jam + Grateful Dead = my version of hell.

15. gmotellsthestory says:

The Weight (The Band) 8
    Someday Never Comes (CCR)9

I still look out for Crazy Chester on foggy nights. But I never heard that CCR song before, and it touched a chord. apparently an off-key, contrived chord, but a chord regardless.

White Room (Cream) 6
    Alive (Pearl Jam) 7.5

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 8.5
    Man in Me (Bob Dylan) 7

Uncle John’s Band (Grateful Dead) 8
    Rock ‘n Roll (Velvet Underground)6

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Meatloaf) 5.5
    Come on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) 6

I Held Her In My Arms (Violent Femmes) 6
    That’s What I Like About You (Romantics) 5

16. jsasstastic says:

The Weight (The Band) vs. Someday Never Comes (CCR) = 8 v. 6.5

White Room (Cream) vs. Alive (Pearl Jam) = 6 v. 7.5

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) vs. Man in Me (Bob Dylan) = 8.5 v. 8

Uncle John’s Band (Grateful Dead) vs. Rock ‘n Roll (Velvet Underground) = 6.5 v. 8

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Meatloaf) vs. Come on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) 5 v. 7.5

I Held Her In My Arms (Violent Femmes) vs. That’s What I Like About You (Romantics) 7 v. 6