Living the Dream Music Tournament: Day 6 (Play-in Round)

A couple of today’s match-ups tend to rock a little harder than we’ve been used to, including a classic Pearl Jam vs. Nirvana showdown.  But then again, the hard-rockers may not  love Bette Midler vs. Whitney Houston.  Based on the scores I’ve been seeing the last few days, I think most of you will like that.   Listen at Grooveshark.   I think all of today’s links should work.

* Please listen to the studio version of Alive– Grooveshark’s version is live.

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) vs. Like a Stone (Audioslave)

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) vs. Wave of Mutilation (Pixies)

Alive (Pearl Jam)  vs.  Lounge Act (Nirvana)

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) vs. Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods)

From a Distance (Bette Midler) vs. One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Living the Dream Music Tournament: Day 6 (Play-in Round)

1. Guillermo says:

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) vs. Like a Stone (Audioslave)= 4:7

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) vs. Wave of Mutilation (Pixies)= 5.5:5

Alive (Pearl Jam) vs. Lounge Act (Nirvana)= 8:6

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) vs. Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods)= 5:6

From a Distance (Bette Midler) vs. One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston) (I’m standing my ground on these scores- this one was tough)= 9:8.5

2. Adam says:

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) vs. Like a Stone (Audioslave)= 8 – 5 (a 4 for Whipping Post Guillermo? Daaaamn. Guess I should be glad Janos didn’t use the 10-minute live version)

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) vs. Wave of Mutilation (Pixies)= 6 – 4.5

Alive (Pearl Jam) vs. Lounge Act (Nirvana)= 7 – 5

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) vs. Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods)= 8 – 7

From a Distance (Bette Midler) vs. One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston) = 6 – 8
    (Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever heard that Whitney song before… and never expected it would come near that score. Wow)

Whipping Post vs. Like a Stone = 9.5 (perhaps bc it is the story of my life this semester?)/7

Back Door vs. Wave of Mutilation = 5/3

Alive vs. Lounge Act = 9/4.5

fwiw vs. Let’s Get Together = 8.5/7

From a Distance vs. One Moment in Time = 8.5/7

4. mike says:

whipping post – 8
    like a stone – 7

lookin’ out my back door – 8
    wave of mutilation – 7

alive – 9
    lounge act – 6

from a distance – 3
    one moment in time – 3
    (the keyboard tones in these songs alone should disqualify them from taking up space in this tournament)

LONG LIVE EXILE ON MAIN STREET

for what it’s worth – 10
    let’s get together – 7

5. Jim Rock says:

Definitely the best battles so far…very hard to pick a winner. Sorry Bette….you really killed it with the whole GOD shit.

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) vs. Like a Stone (Audioslave) 5:5

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) vs. Wave of Mutilation (Pixies) 8:8

Alive (Pearl Jam) vs. Lounge Act (Nirvana) 6:8

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) vs. Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods) 8:7

From a Distance (Bette Midler) vs. One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston) 5:6

6. Matt says:

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) (favorite ABB song) – 8 vs. Like a Stone (Audioslave) 4

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) 7 vs. Wave of Mutilation (Pixies) 4

Alive (Pearl Jam) vs. Lounge Act (Nirvana) – This is a very tough one, because Lounge Act has a great bass line and the chorus almost sounds like a pop song but then Kurt Cobain reminds us that he’s Kurt Cobain by repeating the first verse but screaming the heck out of it. On the other hand, “Alive” is an anthem of sorts. Lounge Act wins, 7-6.

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) 9 vs. Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods) 7 – Imagine these songs coming out when they did. Wouldn’t it be great to have modern songs like this today?

From a Distance (Bette Midler) 3 In Vegas. Weird; vs. One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston) 7 Nobody beats old school Whitney.

7. Jordan says:

From a Distance (Bette Midler): 7
    One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston): 6

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) 7
    Like a Stone (Audioslave) 5

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) 8
    Wave of Mutilation (Pixies) 7

Alive (Pearl Jam) 0 (1 if 0 is not okay)
    Lounge Act (Nirvana) 5

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) 7.5
    Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods) 7

From a Distance (Bette Midler) 5
    One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston) 7

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) vs. Like a Stone (Audioslave)= 3 – 6

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) vs. Wave of Mutilation (Pixies)= 8-4

Alive (Pearl Jam) vs. Lounge Act (Nirvana)= 8-6

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) vs. Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods)= 7-6

From a Distance (Bette Midler) vs. One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston) = 6-4

12. brian says:

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) vs. Like a Stone (Audioslave) = 8:9

Lookin’ Out My Back Door (CCR) vs. Wave of Mutilation (Pixies) = 10:9

Alive (Pearl Jam) vs. Lounge Act (Nirvana) = 9.5:7

For What It’s Worth (Buffalo Springfield) vs. Let’s Get Together (Youngbloods) =10:6

From a Distance (Bette Midler) vs. One Moment of Time (Whitney Houston) = 5:3