Last Band Standing: Endgame

Bonus points for identifying source of photo.

I hope everyone is fine with me using random themes for each set of match-ups, as opposed to my usual, “Round 3, Day 4″ stylings.  It’s partially based on quest to re-watch The Wire.  Maybe I’ll start with a quote too.    Click here for the next set of songs, which, by the way, are amazing, and vote by commenting below before midnight on Saturday.    And now, your results:

My City in Ruin (Bruce Springsteen) def. Charlie Don’t Surf (Clash), 111-109.5. Bruce Springsteen now leads the series 3-1 after a razor tight win.

Houses of the Holy (Led Zeppelin) def. Move On (David Bowie), 109-98.   Led Zeppelin now leads the series 3-1.   Look below for a fantabulous Game 6 match-up ahead.

Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) def. Gumboots (Paul Simon), 131-90.   Paul Simon still leads the series, 3-2 after getting thumped in Game 5.

Times Like These (Foo Fighters) def. Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing (Stevie Wonder), 103-100.  The Foo Fighters have staved off elimination twice, but Press is going to one of the big dogs for Game 6.

New Set

Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen) vs. Train in Vain (Clash)

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) vs. Starman (David Bowie)

Silver Springs (live) (Fleetwood Mac) vs. You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon)

Come Alive (Foo Fighters) vs. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder)

About these ads

About janos marton

A born and bred New Yorker, Janos Marton lives the dream and calls out the haters.
This entry was posted in Music, Music Tournament and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Last Band Standing: Endgame

1. CJRoomba says:

This is the first set of matchups that I’ve commented on that I actually knew EVERY song before I listened again.

Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen) vs. Train in Vain (Clash)- 7/5

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) vs. Starman (David Bowie)- 8/4.5

Silver Springs (live) (Fleetwood Mac) vs. You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon)-Why the live version? Meh. 5/9.5

Come Alive (Foo Fighters) vs. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder)- 6/9

• Mark B says:

sorry you didn’t like the live version of Silver Springs – it’s my favourite Mac recording…I think the live cut makes the sentiment of the song cut that little bit deeper – it’s so raw

2. Joe Denson says:

Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 6
    Train in Vain (The Clash) 8

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8
    Starman (David Bowie) 4

Silver Springs (Fleetwood Mac) 8
    You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) 7

Come Alive (Foo Fighters) 7
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder) 8.5

3. This is a fantastic set, new best of the tourney yet.

Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen) #
    Train in Vain (Clash) #

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8
    Starman (David Bowie) 7

Tough call. Gotta give it to the Zepp, although I’d prefer this to go to 7.

Silver Springs (live) (Fleetwood Mac) 9.5
    You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) 7

Was I just a fool? Give me just a chance? You don’t get much visceral that Stevie Nicks at the end of this song, crescendo is killer. Also, the video of this performance would get an 11. You Can Call Me Al is fun but I don’t think it’s ever really above a 7 for me.

Come Alive (Foo Fighters) 5.5
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder) 8.5

Foo was at a 7 until 2:40. The rest is what’s left.

4. jacobpress says:

Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 7
    Train in Vain (The Clash) 8

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 8
    Starman (David Bowie) 6

Silver Springs (Fleetwood Mac) 4
    You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) 5

Come Alive (Foo Fighters) x
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder) x

Me / C / Sel / Knight / Orce / Illz / tim

Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen) vs. Train in Vain (Clash)
    8 9.5
    8.5 9
    9 9
    9 8.5
    6 6

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) vs. Starman (David Bowie)
    7 7 4 9 8 6.5 7.2 / 9 9 7 5 8.5 9 7.7

Silver Springs (live) (Fleetwood Mac) vs. You Ca
    n Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
    5.5 7.8 6.5 7 8 5 / 8 8.4 8.5 9 7 8

Come Alive (Foo Fighters) vs. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder)
    5 -7
    5 – 6.9
    5 – 6
    5.5 – 6.7
    5 – 6
    3.5 – 7
    2 – 5

Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen) 9
    Train in Vain (The Clash) 6.5
    The key change section at 1:50 in Dancing in the Dark gets me every time. I love the melodies that run through this song and it has some real lyrical highlights. Throw in some sweet sax action towards the end and what’s not to love?

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) 6
    Starman (David Bowie) 9
    Love the last 2.5 mins of Stairway but for me the buildup is more indulgent than epic. I am Bowie’s coach’s biggest fan.

Silver Springs (Fleetwood Mac) #
    You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) #
    Oh man – I think the Janos Army just killed Fleetwood Mac!

Come Alive (Foo Fighters) 6.5
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder) 7
    Love the last 2 mins of Come Alive – good Grohl growl action. Tough draw here though!

• janos marton says:

I feel bad about that, mate. I gave it a 7 myself, but much of the room soured on it early (though some did respond to that duet crescendo at like the 3 minute mark).

7. Jenn says: